THIRTY-FIVE

I smooth down my suit as I stare up at the most sacred building in all of Airoclaw. Home to Alpha Chantel, The Elite, exclusive meetings, and countless important documentation, not many have been entrusted to enter the House of Fates.

But here I am.

After a single week of natural healing, I feel better but I'm still not operating at one hundred percent.

"Good evening, Chief Johnson, Mrs. Johnson, and others." A smartly dressed faun with jet black hair answers the sapphire stained glass door. "Please, follow me."

His hooves click against the marble floors as he leads us into the mansion and down the long corridor. I'm taken aback by the sheer amount of gold integrated in the decor. In every other establishment, silver is the element of choice, but here the chandeliers, the picture frames, the plant vases, the sculptures, the knickknacks on the bookshelves are all gold. I love gold.

We're led into a grand dining hall where narrow candles illuminate a polished walnut table. As tonight's honorary guest, Chief Johnson takes a seat at the foot while the rest of us get in where we fit in.

"Thank you, Penn." He dismisses the butler, and the faun bows respectfully before trotting away.

Tyce and De'von are the first to descend the stairs, greeting us generously, followed by Luke, Ferryn, and Callum. I tense at the sight of Jaxon bending the corner, but he doesn't spare anybody so much as a glance of acknowledgment. The scratches on his face are starting to scab over.

The last two members of The Elite walk into the dining hall side by side, quietly laughing amongst one another. Nova is wearing a black dress with thin straps, her waist-length locs swaying with each step. Alezah's exposed arms and chest glitter with moisture just like her afro, and the red dress clinging to her curves brings out her sun kissed complexion. They sit across from each other on the other half of the extensive table. Out of sight, a harp is strummed and the soft notes help to unwind the ball of anxiety in my stomach.

"Alpha Chantel is ready." Penn announces and we all rise to our feet.

The train of her expensive gown sweeps across the reflective floors as she strolls to the head of the table. Much more regal up close, her posture is as straight as an arrow and the flames dance in the reflection of her jeweled headpiece. A bodyguard with an intimidating build is posted in the corner of the room clad in a navy blue suit vest with crisp trousers that are almost as dark as his brown skin. His hard eyes soften when Alpha Chantel shoots him a look and one dip of her chin permits us to reclaim our spots.

"Hello, everyone. I would first like to thank you all for coming. It is always a pleasure to reward such capable youth. You have done a fine job choosing this batch of cadets, Brix." The Alpha speaks with clarity and poise as she scans the five of our faces.

I mimic Jett and Yacari, keeping my expression soft and inviting when her dark eyes meet mine. Anaïs remains a bit more neutral.

"Thank you so much for having us, Alpha. We are far more grateful than you will ever know." The Chief presses his palms together.

"Of course." She claps her gloved hands and servers come through the wooden double doors behind her with steaming dishes. After a little bit of shuffling, a bowl of soup and a basket of fresh bread are placed in front of me. "This group in particular was invited here because you all advanced past Number Five. To me that demonstrated a certain level of skill, courage, and endurance in one way or another. Those are qualities found in the greatest of warriors. Those are the qualities that Airoclaw needs in order to win the war."

"I absolutely agree." Chief Johnson dabs his mouth with a napkin and conversation is steered towards the King of Nihiryo's recent acts of tyranny. The more that I listen to Alpha Chantel speak, the more relaxed that I become. She has a peaceful spirit about her, a voice that is easy to receive. Our finished appetizers are soon collected and replaced with a hearty entrée. "We have a real shot at winning if we play to our strengths and delegate correctly. I doubt King Khalon has any idea how well we have cultivated our citizens, refugees, and students."