2: Back in Chicago

-24 hours earlier-

3rd Pov

The police found Bianca and Frank Jones dead in their car twelve hours before. The car was wrapped around a light pole as the driver had been drunk way beyond the limits. Lucky for the two, they hadn't suffered for long as they most likely died on impact. 

Ever since that file was dropped on her desk, Carol Jackson had been looking for the couple's daughter Serena with no luck. The neighbors hadn't seen her in over a year but said that to be common. Apparently, the Jones' had a habit of sending Serena to a camp, sometimes for months. Carol asked the neighbors and the couple's friends, but none of them seemed to know what camp it was.

Jackson filed a missing persons report almost immediately as she sensed something was off. She has been trying to find Serena's friends or family, who might know about her whereabouts, but came up with nothing. She asked the girl's school but they too hadn't seen her for over a year and she was said to spend her time alone. It was safe to say Carol Jackson was utterly exhausted. She couldn't even pinpoint when exactly the girl was seen last, since everyone was telling her a different version. She started calling up different camps from fat camps to rehabs all round the Chicago area but came up with nothing. 

At the same time as Carol was trying to find the missing 16-year-old, Mike Williams was trying to figure out, where Serena would go once they found her. She didn't seem to have any relatives so the only apparent solution would be foster care. Williams had already contacted a foster home, that could be able to take Serena for a couple of days as they searched for a permanent home. The only thing missing was the girl.

*Three days after the accident*

Eli POV

The plane had just landed back in Chigaco and couldn't be more scared even if two million crows landed on my head, and I'm extremely scared of them. I worked so hard to run away, but there I was, standing back in the US just praying this time would go better. 

For two days, I had been battling my mind about coming back, but in the end, I had to see it for myself. Also, I needed to see Diego again. I know I saw him almost every day on facetime, but I wanted to hug him and beat up everyone who dared to mess with him.

As the plane was rolling to the gate, I couldn't help but groan from frustration. I was back in the exact place, where I left.

It took me ninety minutes to get to the part of Chicago, where Diego lived. I wasn't ready to go see my parent's house yet and I don't know if I ever will be. 

I never liked the area Carlos and Diego lived in. It was dirty and worn down, with gangs and mobs running around. I used to come to see Carlos almost every day, but I still never got used to it. After Carlos died, I didn't like the idea of Diego living there on his own, but there really weren't a lot of options.

I knew better than anybody just how bad any neighborhood can be. My parents lived in a well-off suburb with white picket fences and two-story houses filled with perfect families and their golden retrievers. Still, I would have chosen to live with Carlos and Diego in a heartbeat.

As I stared out of the bus window, I realized just how long it had been since I had last thought about Carlos. I felt the guilt wash over me like a wave, that pulled me underwater as the water filled up my lungs. The truth is, I didn't want to think about it that much. He was my best friend, the closest thing I'll ever have to a family, and he died in my arms. As the bus drove through the sadly familiar city, I felt the memories, too painful to remember, coming back to the surface.