14: Four blue pills

Matteo POV.

After leaving that room none of us had any idea what to do so we waited. We stood there in the hallway just trying to figure out what we had just seen.

Eli looked so scared like they couldn't even see us. That must have truly been the scariest moment of my life, standing there helplessly trying anything to help them. Even Alessandro was terrified, and I'm sure he wouldn't even flinch with a gun pointed at his head.

Antonio couldn't keep still and after a few laps around the hallway he nervously ran his hand through his hair and ran off. My best guess was to throw something around.

Alessandro tried to send Gabriele back to sleep, but for once he pushed back. They argued for a while until Alessandro gained enough strength to glare at his brother and slightly raise his voice, sending the boy away like a scared puppy.

"What the hell just happened?" I asked pointing at Eli's door with wide eyes still scared shitless.

Eli was a mystery to us all, but I figured it was because their parents just died. Then that happened and I was left standing there dumbfounded while my little sibling was on the other side of that door, probably still in the middle of a panic attack.

Alessandro let out a sigh his shoulders dropping. That was the first time I ever saw him like that. He wasn't angry or scared like me. He was horrified but even more than that, he was concerned out of his mind.

"I seriously have no idea. They looked so scared," he said his usually stable voice almost breaking as they shut their eyes tightly, remembering what just happened. He ran his hand through his hair and tried to compose himself back straightening his back.

"I'm going to make some calls," I quickly said with a nod from my brother.

He knew exactly, what I meant. It didn't take a genius to notice, that something was very much wrong. And I needed help figuring out what it was. I wasn't sure if that would be a therapist, a private investigator, or an assassin, but I was sure as hell gonna figure it out. That's what I did.

Eli POV.

The next morning was nothing less than a nightmare. I woke up with a splitting headache, that felt like my brain was being pressed under a million elephants. I felt myself lying on something soft, too soft. I quickly opened my eyes but had to shut them just as fast when the light hit my eyelids. I had woken up on my new bed for the first time. My eyesight was a bit wobbly, but I could make out a figure laying on the couch near me. I focused all my energy on trying to see at least a bit clearer and soon I was able to make out Lorenzo's brown hair.

Like lighting, everything came back and I just grunted and smacked my forehead probably leaving a mark. For fucks sake, they were going to have so many questions and I really didn't like the questions. My vision cleared in a fraction of a second and I ran into the shower, praying, that Lorenzo would leave before I got out.

That was the longest shower I had ever taken. I let the water hit me like tiny little bullets, while my skin was the impenetrable metal found only in Wakanda. The beautiful droplets of that life-giving liquid hit the tiles playing a melody with an odd rhythm that still somehow made sense to me. I leaned my hand against the wall and took a few deep breaths. I wanted to run. I needed to get away, but I knew I wouldn't get far. Even if I stole a car, they'd find me before I made it even halfway to Chicago.

For once God was in my favor for when I got out of the shower Lorenzo had left. I couldn't take it anymore. The minute I realized I was alone, I ran to my bag and pulled out everything in it, trying desperately to find the tiny baggy, Diego put there. There were six pills, probably oxy, and three blunts. I tipped the baggy until something came out and immediately threw them into my mouth. I then took out my trusty lighter, a blunt, and a cigarette that I had been craving for days. I hastily stashed the remaining two pills and blunts somewhere into my bag and opened the balcony doors.