52: Blast from the past

Eli POV.

I like to read the messages I get on social media, every chance I get. They're mainly nice, and the mean ones, are just fucking hilarious. There was this one middle-aged man, who first commented, You'll always be a girl, and then commented, You'll always be a boy. He clearly had no idea how to insult me, so he did both. We laughed about that for weeks, with my friends.

I started to do more interviews and in some of them, I opened up a bit about my mental health problems. Of course, I didn't tell them anything, they could link to me, or anything too personal, but people still somehow found comfort in the things I said. 

I cried so much the day, when I realized, I was actually helping someone. This little kid sent me a dm and thanked me for being an openly nonbinary celebrity and how it had helped them come out to their parents, who ended up supporting him. I would never get used to the title, celebrity. I ended up talking with the kid for a while and making sure he was okay, and in a safe place to come out. 

Overall, I loved responding to people on social media, and even more, I loved just reading through the things they sent me.

One day, I was browsing through my Instagram DMs, when one name popped up.

My whole body froze and I couldn't even think. I don't know how long I sat there for, just staring at the name, trying to decide what to do.

Eventually, I opened the chat and confirmed, what I already knew.

Sunnyside555 would like to start a chat with you.

"Hey, I go home from boarding school last week, and everyone keeps telling me, that you died in that car accident with your parents. I got pretty scared, and I really freaked out, so please tell me you're still alive, and this isn't somebody else publishing your music.
-Mia"

I hadn't had any contact with Mia in over two years, and now, she was sending me a text wanting me to tell her I was alive.

I stared at the wall for what felt like hours, just thinking about what to do. What if her parents saw the texts and sent her away again. I knew, that the only reason she got back, was, that they thought I was dead. I wasn't going to be the reason she had to go back there, not again.

I didn't know what to do, so I did the first thing, that came to my mind.

I picked up my phone and with lightning fingers, I called the only person, I wanted to ask about this.

"Jess, I'm having a bit of a crisis. Can I come over?" I asked as she picked up.

"Of course, what's going on?" they asked and I could hear the worry in their voice.

"It's hard to explain over the phone, but it's nothing to worry about. I'm coming right now," I said trying to reassure my girlfriend. 

I was lucky I didn't hit anyone on the way since my mind was far away from the street of New York. Most of the time that was good, since they were really shitty, but, when you're driving... not so good.

"What happened?" Jess asked as I sat down on her bed.

I quickly explained everything and showed the message I got from Mia, and tried my best to paint the picture, that was forming in my mind.