22: Birthday boy

Eli POV.

"You wanna come over this weekend?" Abby asked as I sat down with Jess.

That week had been pretty uneventful. I had started to get used to the whole school thing, so I wasn't enjoying it anymore. Even tho that was something to be happy about, I just couldn't find that energy in me.

"Sure," I shrugged as I uncomfortably sat down on the difficult cafeteria chairs. The person who designed those weird ass benches should rot in hell.

"Yes! Jess, you're coming too," Marcus said.

"A please wouldn't kill you," she mumbled making me chuckle lightly. I sent her a wink as I took a bite of my apple which she returned by shooting me with a finger gun.

"So, what's happening this weekend?" I asked setting my apple down again. It was not good. I never did figure out how they found apples so shitty when all the students were filthy rich.

"We're having a party, it's Travis' birthday," Damian said with a grin on his face.

"Why didn't I know that?!" I asked looking around the table in shock.

"We just remembered," Manny said with an embarrassed smile.

"Come on, I've only been here for three weeks, so it's acceptable for me to not know, but you guys?" I said accusingly pointing my fork at my friends.

"You guys should know these things," I said with a pointed look, before stabbing my pasta.

"Come on, Travis is the one who always remembers, so none of us usually have to," Abby said whining from Manny's lap.

"Even more reason to make in a good party," Marcus pointed out.

"So, where?" Jess asked.

"Abby's," Manny said pointing at his girlfriend.

"My parents are going to visit my aunt's place so I figured to take advantage of it," Abby shrugged.

"I'll never get used to the level of disrespect at this table," I joked with a dramatic shake of my head.

There was a sliver of truth in there. I would never get used to people having normal families, and not being scared to death over getting a B on a test.

"Absolutely not."

"Come on Alessandro! It's Travis' birthday! I have friends now, and one of their birthdays is this weekend, so I want to celebrate it," I whined.

We were in the living room, with Matteo on the other couch looking fairly uncomfortable.

"No. I know your past with substance abuse, so I'm not letting you go somewhere, where there might be drugs or alcohol," Alessandro said shaking his head.

I know, the whole house is based on "Alessandro's word is the law" but I really wanted to go celebrate my friend's birthday.

"Don't you think I know that? I'm the one that has suffered the most because of my 'substance abuse issues'. I'm the one who went through withdrawal so bad I couldn't move. I know all that, so I'm the last person in this house, who you should be worried about, drug-wise," I said trying to blatantly guilt-trip him.

like I said, I really wanted to go. All my friends would be there, I knew it would be fun, I could feel like a normal kid, and Jess was there. Not that I cared more than normal, but she was cool and I liked to hang out with her.

"Please Alessandro. Let me be a normal kid. It's all I've ever wanted my whole life," I said throwing my hands in the air.

I know it's pathetic to guilt-trip your caretaker to let you go to a party, but I didn't really care.