CHAPTER 2

ASTURIAN AIRSPACE

06.01.8462 - 1:32 PM

The five people looked at each other quizzically inside the jet over the ocean. Fernand, Vaughan, Mário, Mila, and Scarlet wondered what had happened to a last-minute summons. The plane was already approaching the Asturian Island, home of the King of Asturias. Mila, Mário, and Scarlet were exhausted as they made two stops to pick up Vaughan in Kholodnyei Gorod and Fernand in Verslaseine. The aircraft had no pilot, fully autonomous of human actions, came equipped with some ready-made dishes, available to be heated in the automatic oven and a few drinks in a fridge, which was enough to feed the passengers on the nearly sixteen-hour journey.

The seats were extremely comfortable: wide and convertible into a bed, providing a few hours of pleasant sleep on the last and longest journey between Verslaseine and the Asturian Island. The aircraft was already approaching the island from the east side. A helicopter was coming from the west, mainland side a few kilometers away in the same airspace. Inside the aircraft, there was only Lélia. She could have arrived on the island much earlier, but Richard suggested that she only come the next day, concerned about keeping their relationship secret. Lélia and Fernand were the only ones who had changed clothes. She was wearing a simple white T-shirt with short sleeves and a loose skirt patterned with leaves and flowers.

On the plane, while Mila was dressed in her teenager's T-shirt, her brother and sister-in-law were dressed in full dress: Mário in a garnet color suit full of gold accents and a bow tie, Scarlet wore a long, glittery dress to match her blond hair, in the chair behind hers, was her violin in a metal case. Fernand wore a moss green suit with a beige vest. The footrest of Fernand's seat was suspended. He comfortably supported his feet as he gazed at the ocean below the window that grew closer and closer as the plane lost its altitude.

Vaughan was seated in the first armchair, just beside the door, his eyes closed and a headphone over his black hair, a low sound echoing through the device: Irato averno, Dante's inferno, I need your grace to be my pain, In nomine. He was wearing a long black skirt and a black dress shirt to match his long straight hair, the vampire had left the cloak he was wearing in the seat at the back of the plane, with everyone's suitcases. Despite having a luggage compartment, given the lack of time between landings and take-offs, all boarded with their bags inside the passenger cabin, fastening them with the seat belt in the unoccupied seats.

Inside the helicopter, Lélia crossed her legs, sat back in her seat, and, facing the horizon, she could see the island in the distance, and a minor point in the sky approaching it. From a distance, she recognize the model of the approaching aircraft; she calculated that they would probably land before her, wondering if they were all safe and a feeling of longing and nostalgia invaded her, even to the point of being moved. She pushed those feeling away and began to face the ocean just as Fernand did inside the plane, and it was then that Lélia remembered something and reached out to take her bag from the chair next to hers, taking out her notebook.

"How was the performance yesterday, Scarlet?" Fernand asked, trying to break the ice.

This was a rare occasion when longtime friends occupied the same space without exchanging a word.

"It was great, Fernand, full house as always," Scarlet said, smiling. Though she genuinely took pride in the evening's performance, Scarlet knew her smile was unnatural.

"What do you guys think happened?" Mário cut the subject, barely started. He was waiting for an opportunity where someone would start talking and then make assumptions. "I mean, in the middle of the night, our head of state summons us to a meeting in a hurry? This is new to me."

"Mário, I've been in this situation four times, and nothing much was happening, but serious disagreements could have occurred without the immediate intervention of experienced people..." Fernand began.

"Yes, but here we are: my sister, who is quite new in the diplomatic service, no offenses sis, a violinist, and an economist, important people are just you and Van... and Lélia. If it were a matter of state, why not just summon you and my sister? What I'm speculating is the role my sister, my wife, and I have here, not to say even my mother isn't included."

It was at this exact moment that Scarlet's stomach clenched:

"What if it is a personal matter? After all, we have in common our friendship: you work for the government, for Richard, but we're close friends with him. Is it a problem with someone at the Manor?"

Mário soon realized where his wife was going.

"Calm down, Scarlet, don't go on that road; your mother is fine; if it were a personal thing, something with your mother, he would have already told you," said Mário, calmly putting his hand over Scarlet's hand. He was afraid she could feel by his touch that he didn't have the slightest conviction in what he just said.

"Guys, it must be nothing like that, we'll get there, and Nair, Jeannie, and Richard will be waiting for us with a nice party organized..," Vaughan began to say.

"Of all of us, only you would dare to summon and make government employees travel thousands of kilometers in a private plane at a high cost just for a party," Cut Fernand dryly. "Scarlet, I don't think it should be something that serious, at least not on a personal level. Richard is always very reasonable," Fernand looked up and stared at Vaughan. "Unlike others. If he summoned us that way, something's up, but it must be more than personal matters, rest assured."

Everyone could see Scarlet's eyes grow in terror with every attempt they made to calm her down.

"Your mother will be waiting for us with a nice cup of hot chocolate."

"It's summer here, Fernand. Have you forgotten?" Vaughan scorned, glaring at Fernand with his eyes. "She will probably be waiting for us with a nice caramel custard pudding."

"1 know very well it's summer here, Van..."

"Oh, for God's sake, let's not start you two," Lélia's voice echoed through the cabin, startling everyone. "It's absurd, until these days, with the position you both occupy and the mind you have, you two keep fighting and exchanging barbs like two teenagers. It makes me sick. When are you going to stop this nonsense?"

"Lélia, are you listening to us?" Questioned Vaughan

"Yes, of course, I am."

"How did you manage to do this?" Asked Mário.

"Did you forget that my company manufactured this aircraft, guys? I'm seeing and hearing you," Lélia's tone was fun.

Fernand and Vaughan cringed.

"Can you clip an aircraft?" Asked Vaughan.

"An official aircraft?" Complemented Fernand.

"I have authorization for this, my dears. After all, I am responsible for the affairs of war!" Lélia laughed ironically. "Even though my company built this aircraft, I would never intercept it without royal authorization. The Chiefs of our Armed Forces can also do this."

A virtual voice filled the plane's cabin:

"Ladies and gentlemen, the sign for the mandatory use of the seat belts is activated. We will start our landing in a few moments."

"Hanging up here, guys, eager to meet you in person. See you soon," said Lélia. "Have a safe landing."

Everyone responded simultaneously with a "goodbye."

"Home Sweet Home," Scarlet whispered as the plane veered, leaning to its right

"Jeannie's vacation is ending this week, correct, Van?" Mila asked.

"Yes, yes, after this weekend, she should assume her position again. She told me she would go back to Luisia tomorrow," Vaughan replied.

Scarlet didn't know if the butterflies in her stomach were the result of her highly preoccupied mind or the plane's maneuvering to align itself with the runway.