CHAPTER 54

ASTURIAN ISLAND

19.02.8462 - 7:00 PM

With only an hour to go before the party started, Nair had already left her helpers on their own and retired to rest. Some tables were just being set and covered with beautiful gilded tablecloths embroidered with gold thread. Huge fruit baskets were arranged like a painting, here and there between the Ballroom, the Dining Room, and the Games Room. In addition to the fruit tables, there were also meters and meters of bread tables with whole pigs on them, and in some cases, poultry meat. The helpers organized four long tables in the Dining Room, each featuring 58 chairs, all of which were carefully set up with an assortment of gilded crockery and cutlery. The lights were all intensified, and candles were placed in chandeliers and lamps scattered throughout the rooms that would host the party.

The Music Hall was the only one not filled with food tables. The stage, which in addition to its usual organ with its pipes that grew along the walls of the room, had been equipped with one of the manor's grand pianos, in addition to a green harpsichord carved entirely with rococo, a series of black chairs and other larger instruments such as a harp, two double basses, two cellos and other percussion instruments in the back. In front of the stage, more than two hundred chairs were arranged. The organization's plan was for the chairs to be removed soon after the performance of the small orchestra. At that time, the Music Hall would be transformed into a kind of nightclub, with loud music and lots of alcoholic drinks.

Eight o'clock was when all the guests started to arrive, entering through the high double doors of the Ballroom. In a few minutes, all the guests were already inside the Asturian Manor's Ballroom. Although there were two hundred and twenty guests, the group did not occupy the entire Hall, which remained largely empty. The hosts guided the guests to the tables with bread and fruit and instructed them to help themselves. Some waiters circulated through the public, serving sparkling wine in vintage crystal glasses with gold details. All the guests were in formal dress, and everyone's attention was taken when they noticed someone coming down the stairs. The excitement was soon cut off when they saw that the group descending the staircase did not contain Richard, just a few lower government officials and the Chief of Economy.

Mila was wearing a tight black dress so long that it completely covered her plain black heels, with a neckline that went almost to her navel. That night, her black hair was arranged to the side, with a short fringe covering part of her face. She had made curls with her hair and included a longer extension. She had also called for extreme makeup in black and navy blue shades, which further enhanced her eyes. Mário wore a dark blue suit with a peaked lapel and well-cut. His hair was all shiny, slicked back with an immense amount of gel. He walked down the steps arm in arm with Scarlet, wearing a pearl-colored dress embroidered with gold accents. Her blond hair was pulled back into a herringbone braid that went down from her left shoulder to the front of her body. Unlike Mila, Scarlet wore some jewelry, and her whole body seemed to glow, while Mila's was pure shadow.

"Damn steps," Mila said, holding on to the railing to avoid falling if she tripped over the long dress.

"Nobody told you to choose Morticia Addams dress," Commented Marta.

Unlike her daughter and daughter-in-law, Marta wore a gray skirt and white shirt, with the last buttons open showing part of the cleavage. She wore only her usual gold necklace with two dangling dolls: representing Mila and Mário. Her tone was totally neutral.

"At least I didn't come dressed for work," said Mila. "You sure could use these occasions to get fancy and find someone to make out."

"Oh, I'm comfortable like this," said Marta. "And if I want to make out with someone, I doubt they deny me just for the clothes. Isn't that right, Nair?"