CHAPTER 5

The person fully dressed in black remained watching Fernand sleep for a few minutes, and after making sure that Fernand would not wake up so easily, they went to one of the bedside tables and then opened the last drawer, placing a small cloth bag inside.

Asleep, Fernand knew very well that dream he had gone through several times before, and as much as he tried to avoid it and wake up, he could not: he would be forced to watch one of the worst days of his life again.

It had been thirty years ago: he was climbing the wide spiral staircase of Kupole Hrad, the castle that housed the royal family of Tachlovicka, located in the town of Pleiziň in the cold north of the country. At the top of the stairs, there was a long hallway filled with rooms. Above the spiral staircase, the sky could be seen through the orange glass dome. The light that came in illuminated the walls completely covered in green marble. When he reached the third-floor corridor, Fernand came face to face with his wife. Ekaterina had long, curly red hair. She, on that night, wore a beautiful evening dress, embroidered with a few pearls. She was missing her heels, which made her a little shorter than Fernand.

"Where is your mother? The kids are already in the car. We're leaving now!" Fernand said in an apprehensive tone; sweat covered his forehead.

Outside, a loud siren was hooting, which echoed throughout the city. People were screaming and running through the streets, and the lampposts emitted a red light.

"She does not want to come, Fernand," Ekaterina grabbed her husband, who was wearing a long brown parka, and kissed him deeply. "I need to stay and convince her, go with the kids, I'll convince mom, and we'll use the other car..."

"There is no time, Ekaterina; they already triggered the anti-missile alarm. The Detracting Powers have already made their decision. We need..."

"Fernand, for God's sake, go! Our kids are alone out there. Go. I need to convince mom, or we'll take shelter in the basement of the castle..."

"Ekaterina, no! This castle was not built to withstand today's artillery!" Fernand spoke, looking at the sky through the orange glass dome. "You go with our children, and I'll take your mother out of here by force."

"Fernand, that's not how it works," Ekaterina started to cry. "For God's sake, don't leave our children helpless. Go, I'll take care of my mother."

Fernand sighed desperately and looked his wife in the eye. Ekaterina's green eyes consistently penetrated him in a way that embarrassed him like no one else. He ran his hand over his wife's delicate, freckled face. He noted the emerald earrings he had given her after a year of marriage. They swayed, so hard it was Ekaterina's heartbeat. Fernand then kissed Ekaterina in that slow and sensual way that only the two of them knew.

"Dad! Mom!" The boy's scream echoed throughout the staircase.

"Sebastien! We're coming!" Fernand replied. He looked back at the woman.

"Go, Fernand," said Ekaterina giving Fernand one last kiss and turning towards her mother's room.

"Dad! Mom!" Sébastien's scream was now beginning to have a greater fear. Fernand did not react for a few seconds. He looked at his wife hurrying into the hallway and then at his son at the foot of the stairs. He weighed the consequences and made his decision, "Come, Sébastien," Fernand ran down the stairs and caught his son with his right arm, lifting him into the air as he ran through the green lobby. The boy, only five years old, was the couple's middle child.

"Where's Mom?" The boy in suspenders and bow tie looked at the stairs waiting for his mother.

"Mom is coming in a few seconds, son," Fernand said, his gaze fixed on the door ajar.