CHAPTER 38

The car drove through the dense trees while Scarlet and Mila shielded the vehicle with a spell. Mário and Marta looked at the blade in fear.

"Leave the knife there," Lélia said. "There may be some spell or potion on the blade. It's dangerous to touch."

Lélia was speeding along the narrow road, and at every turn, she made everyone grab their armrests so they wouldn't be thrown to one side. Well into the woods, Lélia decided to go back to the unfinished business at the manor.

"Guys, the thing is," she said. "Fernand's call. He was in Vindobona doing an investigation for me. It turns out he was inside the Royal Library in the Hofburg just now, and someone blew up part of the building."

"What?" Said Marta. "He is fine?"

"I think so. But there's something else, as soon as part of the building exploded, the Arkadian guards came in to see what was happening. Fernand said that the guards already knew that he was the one who had invaded the building. He's running away from Vindobona now. I don't know where to.

Mila sighed deeply. Everyone in the car was looking worried.

"Lélia, how did you know that I put a protection spell on the cabin?" Scarlet's voice sounded cold inside Lélia's car.

Lélia stared at the girl in the rearview mirror and frowned.

"Richard told me," Lélia said. "The spell caused him to be expelled as soon as he tried to open the door."

"Hm. Understand," Scarlet spoke.

"What? Do you think I'm part of this?" Lélia questioned indignantly.

"No," said Scarlet disconcerted. "I'm sorry, I'm nervous, that's all."

"OK," Lélia said, shaking her head as if to ward off her indignation. "Guys, pay attention: as soon as we get to the airport, I'll stop the car as close to the airplane's stairs as possible. Here's what we'll do: Vaughan and I will get out of the car first to cover you. We will all exit on the right side of the vehicle. So, Marta, as soon as Vaughan and I give the signal, you'll open the back door, and you must run into the aircraft, take a seat in the back seat. Mila, Scarlet, I need you to leave right after Marta and start performing the protection spell on the plane. Nair, you go after the girls and finally Mário. Got it?" Everyone agreed with the car's evacuation plan.

The car remained silent until everyone arrived at the airport. Lélia's small plane was already as Vaughan programmed, with the engines running and the door on the left side open. Lélia slowed down, taking the car around a curve and driving over the brush to a carefully trimmed grassy area for a few meters. As soon as the vehicle entered the airstrip, Lélia accelerated again towards the small plane, making a detour and stopping on its left side, a few meters from the open door. As soon as the car came to a complete stop, Vaughan opened his door and stepped out onto the lane, looking carefully in all directions as Lélia climbed over the armrests and out through the passenger door as well.

"Vaughan, take care of the North. I'll take the South," she said.

Everyone did as instructed by Lélia a few minutes before. As soon as Mário stepped out of the car, Lélia put her hand on the boy's shoulder and hurried him towards the aircraft, following him to the stairs. Vaughan was the last to enter and manually pulled the airplane door behind him. As soon as the door was closed, the entire plane lit up with a green light and a strange sense of calm. Vaughan looked back and saw Mila and Scarlet still holding hands, their heads bowed.

"Nice spell," Vaughan commented, sitting in the nearest seat as the plane began to pick up speed along the runway.

ARKADIA