CHAPTER 52

VINDOBONA

19.02.8462 - 12:17 AM

The small, all-wood house was far from the center of town, discreetly hidden in the middle of a dense forest, full of tall pine trees. During those days of the winter, the end-of-the-year parties and markets had been over for a few days and the nights were less busy than usual, especially in that remote, dark part of town that had exclusively rural properties.

Inside the house, the stone fireplace was lit, and the noise of burning wood mingled with classical music coming from a record player. The killer walked calmly to the device, turning the Marche Slave's volume even higher. The record player rotated the disc at a speed fifteen percent faster than the usual rotation. For that song, the killer always used magic to increase the rotation of the disc.

The killer returned to the small dining table that had served only to house various scattered documents, folders, and books in recent days. The killer put one of the folders aside and reopened the book; it was probably the hundredth time reading the same document. Before a murder, it was essential to review all the steps to ensure that the spell was being performed correctly. The killer then began to read the written words calmly, even the parts of the spell that had already been completed, pausing now and then to look at the thirteen pictures contained throughout the book's five thick pages:

'According to native legends of the New World, it would be possible to fortify their powers through an offering to the God, or Gods, of the Underworld. It would be possible even to bring back an already damaged or lost soul, either by evil spells or vampirism. According to the spell, the thirteen pledges were to be made in the exact manner described to ensure that the exchange is carried out:

The first offering should be made using a traditional harvesting sickle of the native inhabitants, symbolizing the harvest of new nourishment. It is the beginning of the cycle. It is important to note that a certain amount of blood must be taken from each offering, before or after their death, and stored in a vessel called Canopic Jar, made purely of clay, molded by the hands of the offerer;.'

The figure beside the text showed a person split in half, with a scythe right next to it. Despite being rustic, the design highlighted the look of terror of the victim with wide eyes and a half-open mouth.

'The second offering must take place under the effect of Fire, symbolizing the purification of all the offerings that will be delivered to the Lord of the Underworld;

After the beginning of the harvest and the purification of souls, starting with the incineration of the second offering, a new phase begins the removal of the premises of life – premises that are seen by the native beings of the New World – which are summarized as: blood, air, heart, and mind: regardless of the order, dealing with the third, fourth, fifth and sixth offerings. The individual to be sacrificed will have to be suffocated to death, while the other will have all the blood taken from his body, while the other two will have their heart and brain taken from the body.

The seventh sacrifice should occur over the precipice, throwing someone from a great height, showing the submission of terrestrial beings unable to fly like the underworld beings.'

The killer reflected on all the steps already completed, concerned that any change in order could impact the expected results, before returning to read.