CHAPTER 33

PLEIZIŇ

11.01.8462 - 2:20 PM

There were still a few hours before the plane sent by Lélia arrived at the takeoff point, but Fernand's anxiety made him start to organize his belongings. He set his MC aside on his desk, opened his computer, and started checking if he had correctly scanned all the documents he wanted to take with him. After reviewing the legibility of all the documents, Fernand got up from his chair, feeling some pain in his back, then assessed whether he had remained in lousy posture during the day. He spent the day following the news about Felício's murder and agreed with Lélia, so far, that nothing would directly harm the government of Asturias.

He went to his bed and lay down, looking at the ceiling. He rethought the plan in his head. In seven hours, he would say goodbye to his children, request a car, and drive to the north of the country, close to the border, in the icy mountains via a local road that led to the town of Šluknov. The road continued about five kilometers past the village on the mountainside, the last five kilometers being full of steep curves that led to a lookout overlooking the town. Fernand hoped that the road that ran up part of the mountain to the lookout was not covered with ice.

If the car made it to the lookout, Fernand would descend and walk about a kilometer through a tunnel, a hidden passage in the frozen forest above the mountain. If the road were interrupted, he would have to climb the five kilometers of road on foot. In the worst-case scenario, it would take him three and a half hours to reach the secret airport.

VINDOBONA

11.01.8462 - 1:25 PM

Charlotte was inside her office in her family's former home, the largest Royal Apartment complex on the globe, once considered the center of the world. Three generations of Herrschers ruled much of the planet within those walls. By the standards of The Crystal, the Hofburg was extremely small. Still, by the standards of the 7400s, its architectural beauty rivaled the meticulously ornate and beautiful buildings of Verslaseine and carried an even greater grandeur.

Even before Arkadia's opening in 8182, the Hofburg was Charlotte's official residence and seat of her government. The building with more than 2,500 rooms boasts many gardens and buildings whose beauty rivaled each other. After the migration of the world government to Arkadia, most of the buildings in the Hofburg were turned into an attraction for the population: museums, libraries, and a school. A small part remained reserved for royal rooms on occasions when Charlotte visited the city. In addition to these occupations, Hofburg started to host the Charlotte organization: the Rouge.

A few meters from Charlotte's office, Fernanda was carrying a heavy bag and was approaching the main entrance to the building when two guards closed the access to the building.

"Guten Morgen, Frau."

"Guten Morgen!" Fernanda replied, trying to go ahead but being interrupted by the guards.

"Entschuldigung, aber wir müssen Ihre Tasche durchsuchen," said one of the guards.

Fernanda looked up, facing one of the two guards and with her mouth slightly open.

"Entschuldigung, ich verstehe nicht."

"Your purse, we need to search it before you get in here," one of the guards answered.

"Excuse me!? Do you know WHO I am?" Fernanda spoke indignantly, hugging her bag and distancing herself from the guards.

"New rules..." began one of the guards.

"No, no, no!" Fernanda said, shaking her head from side to side; a smile appeared on her face. "No, no, no, no," she turned to face the guards. "Let me ask you again: do you know who I am?" She said calmly, almost whispering, with determination.