CHAPTER 56

The atmosphere inside the Music Hall changed completely. Everyone was apprehensive when a scream cut through the room. The orchestra stopped playing out of sync as the conductor looked toward the door from where the scream came. Lélia was the first to get up from her chair and cross the hall quickly as the screams continued to come through the door. Richard, Vaughan, and Mila followed Lélia, who opened the double doors, entering a large Games Room with several different tables and armchairs scattered randomly.

With a snap of her fingers, Lélia made all the lights in the venue turn on as part of the audience left the Music Hall to see what was happening, and some of the kitchen helpers arrived at the Music Hall, also trying to understand what was happening. The screams grew quieter, and when Lélia opened the door of the Games Room, leading to the hall that housed the floor of the Atrium in the main corridor of the East Wing of the Asturian Manor, she could see several drops of blood falling.

Mila took the lead, heading towards the drops of blood, when Lélia pulled the girl's arm, restraining her from advancing into the open part of the atrium. An unexpected loud thud startled everyone already out the door of the Games Room and into the Atrium Hall. A body fell headfirst to the floor, a crackling noise and squishing flesh echoing throughout the empty room and through the upper floors of the Atrium.

Mila screamed in horror as blood sprayed her clothes and arms, just like Lélia's: they were less than four paces away from the misshapen, bloodied body. Mila hugged Lélia, hiding her face in her friend's shoulder and crying desperately. Everyone started screaming and running back to the Music Room.

"Everyone, out of the manor, now!" Richard shouted. "Towards the subway!"

The guests dagged some chairs around, making way through the Music Hall. Musicians abandoned their instruments on the stage and began jumping over the small stage, joining guests and helpers heading to the doors. The shouting in the hall was general.

"Mila!" Shouted Marta. "Mila, where are you? Mário, are you finding your sister?"

"No," Mário said, holding firmly on the hand of his mother and Scarlet, who in turn held Nair's hand. "Mila!" He yelled.

"Mário! Here," Mila shouted, approaching together with Lélia, Richard, and Vaughan.

"Guys, go to the Vidde that connects to Ástur. I'll guide the people to the yacht. Let's evacuate the island," said Richard.

"I will not leave you," Lélia said.

"Lélia, you need to go with them to the Vidde," said Richard. "I will ensure that everyone leaves here safely and then I'll use Endora or the plane to reach you in Ástur."

"No way," Lélia said.

"Don't argue, Lélia. Please do as I asked," Richard's voice was full of uncertainty.

Lélia was crying and confused as the Music room began to empty.

"Lélia," Anna's voice came from the other side of the door.

"Anna!" Lélia said. "Come with us. Richard will guide the people to the yacht. We'll go to the mainland via the vacuum train."

"I'll run after the people so they don't split up," said Richard.

Lélia pulled Richard by the arm and gave him a quick kiss.

"Take care!" She said.

Richard ran through the Music Hall and entered the Ballroom with some overturned tables and food scattered on the floor. He could hear the screaming outside the Manor while running across the Hall and down the outer stairs towards the manor's south garden.