CHAPTER 55

ASTURIAN ISLAND

19.02.8462 - 8:45 PM

While the helpers took a break during the orchestra's performance, Talis was inside a van and carefully opened a suitcase of clothing to generate as little noise as possible. He got up, checking through the windows of the van if there was no one around, then he started to take off his uniform and put on the clothes he had taken from the suitcase: totally black clothes. Sweating from the speed with which he'd changed his clothes, he got out of the van, leaving the door open and out through the garage, turning right around the Asturian Manor, avoiding the kitchen door. He took advantage of the walk in the cool night to wipe the sweat off his forehead and make sure everything was in order.

The doors to the Ballroom were ajar, as was the custom at the manor's events, allowing guests to come and go as they pleased. Talis entered the empty Ballroom and quickly made his way to the staircase. He planned to enter through the library and head up the side stairs in the West Wing, but since the Ballroom was clear, he could buy time by going straight up the main staircase, and if necessary, he would return via the side stairs in the West Wing at the end of the performance.

Talis quickly climbed to the fourth floor of the Manor and entered the main corridor of the West Wing, following all the way to the end to access the side corridor of that same Wing. He had studied the layout of the Asturian Manor and knew by heart the path he should take. He had never been to the Asturian Island, much less to the Asturian Manor, and he was astonished by the gigantic size of the place. When studying the plants, he had not understood the actual size of the Manor. He arrived at the last atrium out of breath, whether it was apprehension or the speed with which he had crossed the corridors. He could feel his heart pounding as he finally saw the door he was supposed to enter. So far, everything was working out. He walked around the Atrium and opened the door, slipping into Jean's room.

Inside the Music Hall of the Asturian Manor, everyone paid close attention to the performance. Mila leaned into Scarlet's ear and whispered:

"Have you ever thought that some things are so wonderful that they must transcend the barrier of universes and exist in different realities?"

"Oh my, what have you been smoking?" Scarlet replied softly.

"I mean..."

"Shii, tell me later," Scarlet interrupted Mila, placing her hand on the girl's thigh.

Three floors above, Talis was carefully closing the curtains in Jean's room, and after making sure the room was adequately sealed, he turned on his MC's flashlight and began to search the entire room. He lifted the mattress off the bed, removed the sheets, opened all the desk drawers, checked all the wooden floorboards, trying to find any loose ones. He went to the bathroom, opened all the cabinets, and took out all the beauty products, creams, soaps, towels, and makeup kits. Without success, he returned to the bedroom and headed for a second door on the wall, accessing Jean's closet. That's where he spent the most time. He opened every box that existed, rummaged through every outfit he found and checked the inside of every shoe, sneaker, sneaker, heel, slipper, and boot. Talis continued to sweat and his anxiety increased by the minute. He left the Closet in frustration and made his way to the door on the left side of the desk. He entered the completely empty room, and his curiosity increased. He groped all over the walls and all the floorboards, unable to discover the shelves hidden in the vertical drawers on the floor.

Talis lay down on the living room floor, confident that there would be something he was looking for, starting to punch the wood and identifying the hollow sound coming from some of the beams: it was there! His heart racing with happiness, he began to run his nails between the gaps in the clubs when he heard Jean's bedroom door open.