CHAPTER 3

The Asturian Island is served by an underground train system, which connects the four main points of the island: The Airport to the south, the Theater in the center, the Manor to the north, and the Village to the northeast, but this system was rarely used, except in moments where large groups visited the place. The Asturian Island Airport is an imposing modern construction, which contrasts with the other buildings on the island. Its semicircular shape had two levels, the upper one giving access to 6 fingers, used for large aircraft, which generally carried delegations. The lower level gave access to a covered patio through which it was possible to have access to smaller aircraft, which were kept in a Hangar a few meters further south. The airport roof was formed by colossal metal petals, with a pearly color, roofs that efficiently absorb sunlight and are capable of refueling aircraft visiting the Island in addition to the underground transportation system. From above, the airport's architectural design imitated a seashell form.

Richard and Nair waited anxiously inside the airport yard as the jet taxied down the taxiway, and a helicopter landed beside the yard on an extension of the runway. After the aircraft had come to a complete stop, the door on the left side opened, forming a small ladder, at the same time that the helicopter's propellers stopped utterly. The first person to leave was Lélia, whose wavy brown hair flew over her face, forcing her to take a more than strategic pause, holding on to the helicopter door with her left hand to rearrange her curls with her right hand. The woman smiled at Richard and Nair, who walked out onto the airstrip. Lélia walked hastily, her greenish pants flapping in the wind.

Scarlet descended from the plane, exceptionally well dressed, still wearing her performance clothes, makeup, and hair. Her face was the most exhausted among all the passengers on the jet. As soon as the girl spotted Nair, she drastically improved her facial expression, disguising her tiredness. Mário followed his wife; hand in hand, the two went down the stairs.

"Mom, how I miss you," Scarlet stumbled on one of the steps in her eagerness to hug her mother.

"My dear daughter," Nair's voice was a mixture of happiness and sadness.

"Richard, why bring us like that at the last minute? Is everything ok?" Lélia hugged Richard discreetly.

Even inside the covered courtyard of the airport, the sun blinded everyone, who shielded their eyes with their hands. The heat soon began to burn the skin of the newcomers. Fernand went down with Mila, and at last, Vaughan appeared out of the plane and then grimaced at the wind that shook his hair and at the cloud-free sky.

"We all need to go to the Manor," said Richard. "There, I will tell you everything. Lélia, Fernand, Mila, Mário, and Scarlet, you will go with Nair in the limousine right in front of the airport. I will go with Vaughan right behind, in the carriage."

Despite being extremely old-fashioned, the Island had a pair of carriages; in honor of old times. It was customary for the two of them to take a carriage around the island in moments of introspection where only the two of them understood each other. But Vaughan found that moment inappropriate.

"Richard, what happened?" Vaughan asked, starting to get worried. His eyes search the glass walls for his daughter. "Where's Jeannie?"

"Ladies and gentlemen, please follow me," said Nair, and everyone understood perfectly.

Vaughan and Richard had known each other for over two centuries and had worked together ever since. On several occasions, Richard's closest friends realized that it was time to back off and leave them alone. It was like a hierarchy of friendships, and they knew very well that their importance to Richard was below that of Vaughan, who had been responsible for supporting Richard many times in his life. The two friends rarely met in offices or libraries. Apparently, the problem's solution always emerged during long conversations they had while walking at dawn on the Asturian Island, sitting on some rock near the sea, or riding the chariot along the roads that cut through the forests of the island with the chariot.