eight

MALFOY MANOR

Lavinia Black was sat in between Gabriel Hemlock and an empty chair.

Charity Burbage, the Muggle Studies professor at Hogwarts, was suspended in the air above the end of the table, whimpering softly as everyone spoke to one another. 

She was staring down at the table, drawing shapes with her finger on the table attempts to ignore Burbage when Voldemort spoke up from the head of the table, "Severus. I was beginning to worry you had lost your way. Come. We've saved you a seat."

She shifted her attention to Snape, who was standing in the doorway of the room. His eyes scanned the room before he walked in further, taking the empty seat next to Lavinia. 

Gabriel slid a dark purpled drink to Lavinia as Snape eyed the interaction, "You bring news I trust?" Voldemort asked. 

He reluctantly turned his gaze to the Dark Lord, "It will happen tomorrow at nightfall."

"I've heard differently, my lord." Yaxley spoke up, "Dawlish, the Auror, has let it slip. That the Potter boy will not be moved until the 30th of this month. The day before he turns 17."

"This is a false trial." Snape said, "The Auror office no longer plays any part in the protection of Harry Potter. Those closest to him, believe we have infiltrated the Ministry."

"Well," A Death Eater started with a chuckle, "They got that right, haven't they?"

The table broke out into a fit of laughter other than a few select people. Gabriel looked at Lavinia, who was still staring down at the table. 

"Drink up." He spoke lowly to her, tapping the side of the glass lightly. 

She picked it up, downing the drink in large gulps. She put it down, wincing lightly at its effect. Snape caught Gabriel's gaze, and slowly looked back to Voldemort. 

"What say you, Pius?" Voldemort asked Pius Thicknesse, the Head of Magical Law Enforcement, at the other end of the table. 

He looked down at Nagini before looking up again, "One hears many things, My Lord. Whether the truth is among them is not clear."

Voldemort chuckled, "Spoken like a true politician. You will, I think, prove most useful, Pius. Where will he be taken, the boy?"

"To a safe house." Snape answered, "Most likely the home of someone in the Order. I'm told it's been given every manner of protection possible. Once there, it will be immpractical to attack him."

"The St. Claires?" Morana Van Vries spoke up. 

"No." Snape quickly said, "I was informed that they have... forfeited their place in the Order for reasons unknown."

Bellatrix cleared her throat, "My Lord, I'd like to volunteer myself for this task. I want to kill the boy." 

A loud yell in the distance shifted the attention, "Donovan!" Voldemort yelled across the table to the man standing near Burbage, "I thought I told you to keep our guest quiet?"

Donovan was a carbon copy of Peter Pettigrew in terms of personality. Cowardly, fearful, an alley to those who will protect him the best. 

"Yes, m-my Lord. Right away, my Lord." He said, walking away nervously. 

Voldemort went back to the conversation at hand, "As inspiring as I find your bloodlust, Bellatrix, I must be the one to kill Harry Potter." He said. Bellatrix meekly nodded and sat back in her chair, "But – I face an unfortunate complication, that my wad and Potter's share the same core." He started, standing up, "There are, in some ways... twins. We can wound but not fatally harm one another. If I am to kill him, I must do it with another's wand." He said, walking along the back of everyone's chair as they avoided his gaze, "Come... surely one of you would like the honor?" He walked back to Lucius's chair, "What about you? Lucius?"

"My Lord?" His voice cracked lightly.

"My Lord?" Voldemort mocked as he held out his hand, "I require your wand. Lucius got out his wand, slowly giving it to the Dark Lord, "Do I detect elm?"

"Yes, my Lord."

Voldemort snapped his wand, "And the core?" 

"Dragon." Lucius replied, clearing his throat, "Dragon Heartstring, my Lord."

"Dragon Heartstring?" Voldemort repeated, throwing the handle onto the table. He clicked his tongue and held out Lucius' wand, bringing Burbage forward. 

"To those of you who do not know, we are joined tonight by miss Charity Burbage, who, until recently, taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Her specialty was Muggle Studies." Voldemort explained. Light laughter erupted from the table, "It is miss Burbage's belief that muggles... are not so different from us. She would, given her way, have us mate with them. To her, the mixture of magical and muggle blood is not an abomination, but something to be encouraged." He said, sitting back down.

"S-Severus." Burbage quietly pleaded as her breathing sped up, "Severus, please. We're friends." She sobbed. 

Lavinia put her forehead into her hands, feeling the all too familiar feeling of her mind twisting and turning. 

"Avada Kedavra!" Voldemort yelled, snapping Lavinia out of her own world. 

She looked up at Burbage, who laid lifelessly on the table. 

Nagini slithered onto the table, "Nagini... dinner."

It slithered down the table before jumping onto Burbage, making Lavinia yelp in horror. She stood up, running out of the room. 

Voldemort turned to Gabriel, "Mister Hemlock, tell me, have you been keeping up with your potions?"

"I have, my Lord." He smoothly said as Grayson eyed him.

"It doesn't seem apparent, you see, I'm told she has had multiple chances to kill Aurora Black recently, yet she hesitates. Snape, I would like you keep her in check from now on. As you seem to be more... consistent, with the effectiveness of your potions."

"Maybe we should keep her alive." Narcissa quickly spoke up, "S-She could be useful. Isn't that why you chose not to kill her that night in 1981, my Lord?"

"Hm." Voldemort said, "I thought she would be useful, but it turns out, you and Lucius failed at your job of raising a powerful Death Eater. One would believe that she would be broken down after the deaths of Cedric Diggory, Sirius Black, and Augustus Cairo, but... she perseveres. I wouldn't say that is the will of the House of Black... no, it's House of Vespertine."