thirty-two

"So this Horcrux..."

"So eager, you are." Scarlett said as a house elf served them breakfast. 

"Well, I'm in a bit of a rush..."

Scarlett smiled lightly, "I'm sure you will be able to wait, Aurora. I'm sure Celestina told you all about the Horcrux. It must be the last one destroyed."

"Two Riddles are needed. The only other one still alive is Orinthia..."

Scarlett gave a glance at her daughter, who stayed silent as she smoked a cigarette.

"You have to get the Horcrux first." Scarlett said, "But before that, we are hosting a ball in 7 days and I want you there."

Aurora sighed, "No. I don't have time for this!"

"Patience is a valuable virtue." Orinthia said, "If you want the Horcrux, you can wait a few days."

"What ball is this? Why are you having it?"

"It gets lonely here sometimes. I enjoy having people over. Not to mention, there are a lot of people that would love to meet you, Aurora." 

Aurora raised a brow, "People know who I am over here?"

"Oh, yes, dear. If you had brought Harry Potter with you... well, that would have been quite something." Scarlett said, taking a sip of her tea as she looked Aurora in the eyes. 

"Last night, you said you kept the Vespertine line pure by marrying Tom Riddle but... the Dark Lord is half-blood. Orinthia, Natrix, Celestina, a-and Augustus, they aren't pure-blooded."

Scarlett sighed lightly, "Celestina, go entertain our guest some place else."

Aurora stood up with Celestina, walking out of the room. Later that day, Celestina took Aurora to the beach. 

She stared out at the strong waves, not used to such weather or sights. Celestina walked up to her, "She knows my grandfather isn't pure-blood. But she only found out a few years ago. Forgive her and my mom, they aren't all there sometimes. It's just– they've seen a lot. Especially my mom."

"It's alright." Aurora said, basking in the scent of the salty air, "I don't want to be rude, but, I really need to get this Horcrux."

"You need to play by my grandmother's rules." Celestina said. 

Aurora looked over at Celestina, "How do you mean?"

"Go to the ball. Pretend you're having the time of your fucking life. Sit still and look pretty." Celestina said, lighting a cigarette. 

She scoffed lightly, "Well, I've got practice at sitting still and looking pretty. But I'm not great at hiding the fact that I'm miserable."

"Really? I haven't noticed."

Aurora glared at Celestina, who just let out a small chuckle. 

"You know, I'm still waiting for you to..."

"Stab you in the back?" Celestina asked, "Trust me, I know there isn't use in it. I'd rather help you than fight you. I know I wouldn't win that fight."

Those seven days came and went quickly. There just wasn't much to do, so she spent her time with Celestina. She grew to enjoy the Riddle's company. Before Aurora knew it, she was putting on a stupid black dress Celestina picked out for her. 

"Merlin, this brings back horrendous memories of the balls my parents would have."

Celestina finished pinning up Aurora's hair into a bun, "Hate to break it to you, but I doubt you're gonna have much fun here."

Aurora stood up and walked to the mirror, putting on red lipstick that contrasted her long velvet black dress. She looked at herself with a sigh, "Bloody hell. I look like a Malfoy all over again."

"I feel like you wearing Black is very... Black."

"Yes but, not like this. I don't feel like myself."

"Might be for the best, makes it easier. There is someone that I should warn you of." Celestina carefully said. 

Aurora turned to her, "Are they dangerous?"

She shook her head, "Not in that way, but yes, he is dangerous. His name is Alexander. He's 3 years older than I am. His bloodline is a mix of Veela and Vampire hybrid. Making them extremely good looking and manipulative. They often prey on who you love the most... in here." Celestina said, touching Aurora's temple. 

"But he won't..."

"He won't kill you or hunt down and kill your loved ones. But he'll test you." She said, staring at Aurora intently, "Your best bet is to avoid him, but he'll be pining for you. That I know."

"That's it? He's just handsome and a smooth talker?"

"He's more than that. I-I really can't describe it. It's like... if you're missing your partner, which you have, he can... not morph himself but, he can trick you. He preys on loneliness and relationship insecurity."

Aurora smiled lightly, "I see. But I'm very in love and sure of who I'm with, this Alexander won't be able to do a damn thing. What about the rest of his family?"

"They're around, but he's been the only one to turn up recently." Celestina said, backing up and putting on her earrings. 

Aurora nodded, "Has he ever..."

Celestina had her back faced to Aurora, looking down at her vanity, "Yes. I was 17, never even kissed someone before. He was at the ball, got me alone and... he's hard to resist when you're lonely. But don't get it twisted, if you get the best of him, he'll known when he's been beat." She said before lightening her tone, "But he is British. Maybe you two will hit it off without mind tricks."

"Why would I do that when I'm perfectly happy in my current relationship?"

Celestina shrugged, "I don't know. You tell me."