forty-one

Aurora sat in the medical room at the St. Claire Manor as Romare carefully inspected her wound. It still was black around the edges, but luckily it hadn't spread.

George, Augustus, Althena, and Remus were all at her side looking at the wound warily.

"That scythe on the Horcrux is hardly an inch. It didn't hit my heart. I'm fine."

"The depth of your heart in your chest is hardly an inch." Romare parroted, "This could be serious."

"I feel fine."

"You said last night that it hurt." George spoke up.

She shot a glare at him, "Because it was fresh!"

Romare sighed and examined her arm that was attacked by an Inferius, "I'm sure you're aware this'll scar."

"I am."

"You need to be more serious about this, Aurora." Althena chimed in, "With how hidden this Horcrux was, there's no doubt it has other effects."

"She's right." Celestina said as she walked into the room with Darren.

Everyone turned to her, "Do you know something?" Althena questioned.

"I don't know a lot. But I wouldn't be shocked if the Horcrux is hexed. It's the most important one."

Aurora sat up from the bed, "All right, I'm sick of this. Just let me go about my days and we can wait for me to drop dead." She said.

"Don't joke about that." George scolded.

"Says the jokester." Darren muttered.

George glared at him, "Who's side are you on?"

He patted the red-heads shoulder, "The side of life, my friend."

Aurora took Augustus to the home she and George shared despite everyone protesting that someone could be there waiting to harm them. He looked around the home, "Merlin, I've missed a lot."

Aurora walked out of the spare bedroom and gave Augustus his wand, "I kept it."

He smiled faintly and took it, "Thanks."

"The pocket-watch that I kept with me held a piece of my uncle's soul. He guided me to America. One night I asked him if everyone I'd lost was there with him, and he said everyone but you. I didn't want to believe the possibility that you were alive, and frankly I'm still pinching myself to make sure this isn't a dream."

He walked up to her and gently pinched her arm, "Not a dream."

Later that day, Augustus wandered into the library in the St. Claire Manor.

He looked around with a small smile, amazed at the grandness of the room. It truly was magical.

He found Luca standing by a shelf looking at The Hobbit.

"Good choice."

Luca looked up from his book, mouth slightly agape at the sight of him. He closed his mouth when he realized he was staring, and Augustus chuckled.

"I'm sorry I– I have a lot to say I just... I don't know how to say it." Luca quietly said, putting the book down.

Augustus stood in front of him, "How've you been?"

He shrugged, "Okay, I guess."

"Luca."

He sighed in defeat, "I know we didn't know one another long or very well but... you being gone really made me realize that..." Luca trailed off, not daring to look at the boy in front of him.

"Realize what?" Augustus softly asked.

"It's stupid..." Augustus took Luca's hand and gave it a soft squeeze, and that triggered tears to well up in Luca's eyes. He wiped the tears away with a small laugh, "I- I didn't handle you being gone well. I know we didn't know each other well, but that didn't stop me from staying up late thinking about what if's."

"You know, you never took me to an Aquarium..."

Luca let out a breathy laugh, "Is that what you're thinking about right now?"

"That, amongst other things." Augustus said before pausing, "What you said isn't stupid."

"You don't have to say that to make me feel better."

Augustus was sick of wasting time, so he leant forward and pressed his lips to Luca's. Luca was taken aback by first, but quickly fell into Augustus's rhythm.

The kiss deepened as the two grew more and more passionate until...

Augustus slowly pulled away and leaned back on his heels as Luca looked at him anxiously. Augustus craned his head back and caught a glimpse of Romare putting books away through a bookshelf.

Romare caught his gaze, "Oh, don't stop on my account. I'm only trying to put some books away. Carry on." He casually said.

Augustus looked back to Luca, who looked so embarrassed that Augustus found it cute. They walked around the mansion and Augustus listened to Luca talk about everything and nothing. 

Luca stopped him when they turned a corner, "Look I– I really like you, I should have said something earlier and I know that now but... I can't help but think of..."

"Darren and I broke up a long time ago, Luca."

"But the way he saw you, I just–"

"He thought I was dead. I won't lie and say we weren't each other's first loves, because we were, but we've grown up to be different people. I mean yeah there's still love there but... I'm not in love with him anymore." Augustus quietly said.

When Luca gave no reply, Augustus softly took his hand and brought it up to his lips, placing a lingering kiss on his palm all while looking him in the eye. Luca sighed and leant into him again, wrapping his arms around him. 

"I can't stop thinking about it... bloody hell, 'Gus, it's not fair."

Augustus pulled apart from Luca and held his hand tightly, "What's not fair?"

"Aurora's gonna lose you again. Darren's gonna lose you again. I'm gonna lose you again."

"Yeah..." Augustus trailed off, "Peace always has a price."

"You shouldn't have to pay it." Luca said, tears slipping from his eyes faster than he could react. 

Augustus brought his thumb to Luca's face, wiping his tears away. "That's just how things are, darling."