thirty

BOSTON

Aurora began her walk to Maine shortly after she got to New York, eager to leave the state. The walk was not nearly as bad as she thought, but she did get slightly lonely. It took her five days to get halfway through, stopping in Boston, Massachusetts.

Aurora enjoyed Boston. She walked the Harbor as it was on her way to Maine, knowing she had to stay by the coast either way. But what she didn't enjoy, was the shitty motel she had to stay in due to it being the closest one.

There was a violent storm outside, rain falling loudly and thunder cracking loudly in the sky. She didn't appreciate the sporadic lightning, as it reminded her of being in battle and trying to avoid Avada Kedavra's.

She jumped at the sound of a particularly loud crack of thunder, huffing as she turned on her back in the shitty bed she was in. Aurora eventually got sick of being alone, suddenly becoming grateful that she could summon her uncle using a locket.

"Can't sleep?"

"That's why I summoned you."

"Sirius never liked storms, either."

She hugged a pillow close to her body, "Usually they are bearable because I have some–" She cut her words off when more thunder erupted, "–someone to cling to. George likes storms and would always tease me for hating them before pulling me into his chest and holding me tightly. Merlin, I miss him so much."

"Yeah, I don't need to hear about how in love you are." He said with a sickened tone.

She sighed, but changed the subject, "You said you haven't seen Augustus in... in the afterlife."

"Sometimes it takes a while for people to find their way, or maybe he's just off somewhere else with his family. It's hard to explain, Aurora, but he's around here somewhere."

Aurora sat up, "What the hell am I doing?"

"What?"

She grabbed her wand and said a few spells, and the storm went silent.

"How have I just now realized I can use a silencing spell on rooms to keep the sound of storms away?" Aurora asked with a huff as she laid back down, "Bloody hell."

"That's what happens when you don't graduate Hogwarts."

She rolled her eyes, "It's almost like I was on the run because I was wrongfully wanted for murder." She said, her voice cracking slightly as she tried to stop the memory from flashing in her mind.

"Like father like daughter."

She gave Regulus a humorless chuckle, glaring at his ghost across the room.

"So this CR girl, Dumbledore told me that she wrote to him last summer. Told him where the Horcrux is, and that I have to find it."

"I already told you that I know nothing." Regulus said.

"I know I just... what if she tries to kill me? What if it's a trap?"

"Kill her before she kills you."

She sighed, "Thanks for the advice."

Aurora was in Maine 4 days later, and she walked the coast, going from town to town and taking her time, for 5 more days.

She sat in a small diner in a town who's name she couldn't remember. It was nearly 11 at night, the diner was empty besides a middle aged couple sitting in a booth across the diner from her.

A waitress poured coffee into her mug, "What do you want to eat?"

She looked down at the menu, getting accustomed to American food was harder than she thought.

"I'll have chocolate chip pancakes."

"How do you want your eggs?"

"Fried."

She put her hand on her hip, looking down at her, "What's a Brit doing in this little town?"

She gave the waitress a thin lipped smile, "Just passing through."

The waitress nodded and walked away, turning her head towards the window at the sight of a dark green Volkswagen Beetle pulling up in the parking lot.

"Raines is here!" The waitress that took her order called out.

Aurora looked out of the window, watching a taller girl with long and straight dark brown hair get out. She walked inside, looking around the diner. She wore high waisted ripped jeans that were loose fitting, fishnet tights peaking through the holes in her jeans. She had on a black form fitting shirt, and all black converse on.

"Hey, Cassandra!" A waiter said.

"Hi, Randall." She said, her voice relaxed.

Her eyes fell on Aurora, and she walked across the diner and sat in the booth across from her. She stared at Aurora as the same waitress filled the empty mug on Cassandra's side, "Having the usual?"

"Yep." Cassandra said.

Aurora took a sip of the coffee, face scrunching up at the bitter taste. Cassandra hummed lightly in amusement, sliding a few sugar packets over to her along with a small pitcher of cream.

"It'll sweeten it up."

She put two packets of sweeter in the coffee and a little bit of cream, stirring it up and taking another sip, sighing at the better taste.

Cassandra put four sugar packets into her own cup, "Never had coffee before?"

"I'm more of a tea person." Aurora replied, eyes landing on her necklace that had the initials of C.R.. She studied Cassandra closely. Her eyes were a honey brown and set further apart, which seemed to travel all around the diner as if Aurora wasn't the only one watching her back.

She wore a ring with a golden band and a black gem on her left thumb, and her right ring finger had a dainty golden snake ring.

"You–"

"Not now." Cassandra said as Aurora's food was sat in front of her.

The two ate in complete silence. Aurora surprisingly enjoyed the food, understanding why Cassandra seemed to be a regular. After they finished, Cassandra left money on the table for the both of them, "Let's go." She casually said.

They walked outside, "I don't trust you."

Cassandra turned to her, giving her a small smile, "Good."

Aurora reluctantly got into the car, and Cassandra began to drive further away from the diner. Cassandra drove down an empty road, one side being rocks and the other being the ocean.

No Surprises by Radiohead played softly on the radio, "Their new album, Ok Computer, is fucking sick. Do you like Radiohead?"

"Never heard of them."

Cassandra scoffed lightly, "Gods, I feel bad for you."

She drove up a dark and winding mountain, the trees becoming more and more suffocating the further up they went. Cassandra pulled up to a mansion that sent chills up Aurora's spine.

She turned off the engine and turned to her, "It's as creepy inside as it is outside."

"Great."

She led Aurora inside, her eyes falling on various moving portraits on the walls. This mansion made the Malfoy Manor look cozy.

The floor creaked with every step. Cassandra led her across the house, Aurora got stares from the portraits they passed. Cassandra didn't look back as she walked, "Before you meet them, there is a few things you should know. Looking into my mind and their minds is useless."

"What else?" Aurora asked, gripping her wand tightly.

"My name is Celestina. Cassandra is only a front."

"And?"

Celestina stopped walking and turned to Aurora with an off-putting smirk, "My full real name is Celestina Riddle. And you, Aurora Black, are about to learn some very interesting family secrets."