fifty-five

The majority of Dumbledore's Army all left the Room of Requirement at the sound of a bell, summoning them to the Great Hall.

Neville, Ginny, and Gwenna stayed behind for a few minutes. 

"I'll put robes on and go with you all," Harry said, "I want to face him, Snape."

"Who's to say he won't kill you?" Ginny worriedly asked. 

"He won't," Aurora said. 

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because I am. He won't hurt Harry."

Everyone exchanged glances at Aurora's word, "We have to go, now," Neville said. 

"Aurora, what will you do?"

"I'll speak to Snape."

Hermione's eyes widened, "excuse me?"

"You heard me."

"Aurora–"

"Don't. You all need to go. Augustus, Celestina, stay in here with Ron and Hermione," Augustus and Celestina gave no objections. Everyone else still stared wide-eyed at Aurora, "Well? Off you go."

Harry left the room with Neville, Ginna, and Gwenna at that. Aurora took out her wand, "Aurora, if they see you..." Hermione said. 

"I can handle them."

"Are you sure?" Celestina asked, "I wouldn't underestimate them if I were you."

"I'm not underestimating them, but I'm also not underestimating what I can do."

After a few passing minutes, Aurora crept out of the room of requirement. Though she didn't spend long at Hogwarts, she spent plenty of time studying the Marauder's Map.

She carefully and quietly made her way up to Snape's new office. She hid in corridors at the sounds of Death Eaters walking near her. She made it safe and sound, to her surprise. 

She knocked at the door normally, and waited for the door to open. When it did, she finally saw Snape's face change past its usually lifeless state. He looked like he'd been crying.

"You shouldn't be here," he said, ushering her inside. 

"You shouldn't be doing this."

"I'm doing what I have to do, Black," Snape said. 

Aurora looked at him grimly, "you know what's about to happen."

"I do."

She walked to a window, peering out of it, "I don't know if I'll make it out of this, truth be told."

"Lavinia is dead."

Aurora stilled. She slowly turned to him, "what?"

"Voldemort. He killed her. Slowly. Narcissa told me."

She let out a breath, "Why?"

"She betrayed them. Killed Gabriel Hemlock. I've been giving her potions to undo the damage he did to her over the years. But now I regret it. If she stayed as she was..."

"It's not your fault."

"Is it not?"

Aurora said nothing to her and the sound of a bell filled the silence. 

"I must go," Snape said. He headed for the door and turned around to her one last time, "keep yourself alive, Miss Black."

Aurora stayed in the office for minutes on end until a patronus shot into the room. It was a Scottish Deerhound. 

Althena.

She walked out of the office and followed the patronus, leading her back to the Room of Requirement. 

When she walked back in, the entire Order was gathered there but Tonks and Margot.

George walked to her, embracing her tightly. She ran her fingers through his hair, "It's almost over," she whispered in his ear.

Althena approached her, pulling her in for a hug. She placed a kiss on her forehead, "I'm proud you," she quietly said to her niece, "I'm sorry I haven't said it over and over times before."

Aurora squeezed her hand, "thank you."

"What did Snape say?" Hermione asked.

"You spoke to Snape?" Remus questioned. 

Aurora shook her head, "No. I couldn't find him. And you... Remus, Romare, you have children. Go home."

"No. We're fighting," Romare said. 

"Don't make an orphan of your children. Please."

"We're making a better world for them, Aurora," Remus quietly said, "besides, Tonks and Margot are staying back–"

"And you're willing to possibly leave them behind?" Aurora questioned. 

"Should you have children later, you'll understand," Romare said. 

Aurora sighed and looked to Iniya and Darren, "you two need to get your siblings away from this."

"My brother went home. He's safe," Iniya responded. 

Everyone looked at Aurora intently. She scanned her eyes over the Order, and then to Augustus and Celestina. 

"Keep those two alive at all costs," Aurora said, gesturing to them sadly.

Althena walked up to Aurora again, "I'll do it, Aurora. You shouldn't have to–"

"No. It should be me."

"Don't be cruel to yourself," Althena quietly said, "you've done enough. Taken enough. You don't want their blood on your hands."

"It already is."