twenty-nine

Zoya sat on a log by a small lake, staring out into the distance. 

Harry walked up to her, sitting down on the log. He looked over at her, "I'll skip the how are you part, because I know you're not okay." He quietly said. 

"I always felt sorry for you. Not growing up with parents."

"It's a bit easier for me to cope, truth be told. I don't remember them so I don't really know what I'm missing."

She looked down at the ground, moving her foot in the leaves and twigs, "My dad was muggle born. When the war started really getting bad, I was terrified every time he'd go off to work. He would always tell me, when my time comes, it'll come. Don't waste your energy on fearing the inevitable."

"Good advice."

She nodded shortly before taking a deep breath, "Alright, so this Horcrux."

"Zoya, you don't–"

"No. I'm not going to waste my time on tears. I can do that later." She said, standing up.

Harry stood up with her, "Are you sure. Really, if you want to just take a few days, it's okay."

"I need a distraction as it is, Harry."

They met up with Hermione, who had the locket sat on a rock. Everyone kept blasting it with different spells in attempts to destroy it. 

Nothing worked, the locket kept making that annoying and eery soft clicking sound. Harry and Zoya stood over it as the other two stood back, "I bet you every galleon I've got that if Aurora was here, she could find a way to destroy it."

"You're probably right." Harry said, picking up the locket and putting it on. 

"What are you doing?" Hermione asked. 

"We have to keep it safe." Harry answered, "Until we find out how to destroy it."

"Seems strange, mate. Dumbledore sends you off to find all these Horcruxes, but doesn't tell you how to destroy them. Doesn't that bother you?" Ron spoke up. 

"Maybe Dumbledore didn't know how." Zoya reasoned. 

Harry sighed and walked off, the other three letting him be alone with his thoughts. Ron and Zoya walked back into the tent, listening to the radio. 

Zoya's heart sank with every word of bad news, even more so when the man on the radio announced that Dean Thomas was missing due to the ban on muggle-borns at Hogwarts. 

"Bloody hell." She sadly said. 

At Hogwarts, Gwenna spent more time with Ginny Weasley, Neville Longbottom, and Luna Lovegood than she had in her 6 years of school.

School was on another level of sad and bleak, everyday she debated on just staying in bed and not doing a thing. Luna was the one who would typically drag her out of bed with the kindest words possible. 

"Blimey, one would think that we would have it slightly better because we're pure-bloods." Gwenna gritted as a group of Slytherins shoved her and Ginny purposely. 

"They all suck." Ginny said, "I almost feel bad for them."

As they rounded the corner, they saw another group of Slytherins huddling around a corner. 

"Great." Gwenna muttered. 

Through the group of people, the two caught a glimpse of a boy with blonde curly hair. 

"Please, I-I just want to get to class."

"What? Come on, you Gryffindor. Not gonna grow a pair and fight back?" Pansy taunted. 

Ginny yanked Pansy back and Gwenna used her brothers classic tap dancing hex. The rest of the Slytherins wanted to put up a fight, but Ginny grabbed the boy and the three ran off into the Room of Requirement. 

He was panting heavily when they got inside, thanking the two profusely. 

"I can't believe I ever made it into Gryffindor." He said, "Really. I shouldn't even be able to use magic at all."

"Next time, just punch Parkinson in the face. Don't worry if she's a girl." Gwenna said, "What's your name?"

"Ben Walker."

"I'm Ginny, this is Gwenna. This is the Room of Requirement. Feel free to hang out with us whenever you like."

He nodded, "Thanks."

"What year are you? First year?" Gwenna asked.

He scratched the back of his head awkwardly, "N-No. Fourth, actually."

"Really?" Ginny asked with narrowed eyes. 

"You look nine." Gwenna added. 

He chuckled nervously, "Yeah. Mum says I've got a baby face."

"Give us a second will you, Ben?" Gwenna asked. 

He nodded, "Yeah, sure."

They walked to Neville and Luna, who were watching the interaction curiously. 

"Some Slytherins were making fun of him. Gwenna hexed Pansy and we had to make a run for it." Ginny explained, "I think we should ask–"

"You do realize he's an original member of Dumbledore's Army, right?" Neville asked. 

"What? I don't remember him." Ginny said. 

"Ben Walker. He's very nice. His patronus is a Golden Retriever." Luna said.

"He wouldn't hurt a fly. I think he'd rather take a beating than hit back." Neville added. 

Gwenna raised a brow, "Sounds like somebody else I know."

Neville sheepishly looked away and Ginny gestured for Ben to come over. He stood in front of the group, avoiding their gaze, "I'm sorry we didn't recognize you earlier. But Luna and Neville told us that you're an original member of Dumbledore's Army."

He nodded, "Yeah. I am."

"Well then, we'd love for you to become more involved again. We could use the numbers and someone like you." Gwenna said. 

He gave her a look, "Someone like me? You saw me back there with those people, I–"

"Doesn't matter. We just need to build up your confidence and you'll be good to go. And besides, what really matters is who's side you're on." Ginny said. 

"They were making fun of you pretty harshly. I know you're not a muggle born because you're here..."

He fiddled with the end of his jumper, "M-my mum is a muggle. My dad was a half blood, he died when my mum was pregnant fighting supporters of the Dark Lord that managed to escape being imprisoned during the first Wizarding War. I didn't even know about it until I got my letter so..."

"You grew up very... muggle." Ginny concluded.

He nodded, "Yeah. I feel ashamed, truth be told. He made sacrifices and lost his life and here I am, his son, unable to fight back against a few rude Slytherins."

Neville put a hand on his shoulder, "It's okay, Ben. I'm sure your dad would be proud of you."

Ben gave him a weak smile before trailing his gaze to a mirror behind the group. He walked to it, pointing to a photograph of Cedric hung up on it, "I met him once, you know. I actually met Aurora Black, when she was known as Lorelei Malfoy. It was my first year, I was jittery and all over the place. Bumped into her by accident and instead of getting angry and telling me off, she told a few jokes and helped me pick up my books. Cedric only pointed me in the right direction of my potions class, but he was still nice to me. That day... it was a bad one. Got beat up, made fun of, had no friends. That small act of kindness kept me from..."

"From what?" Gwenna asked. 

He sighed, "Doesn't matter. I'm here now."

Luna took his hand and gave him a kind smile, "We are happy you're here, Ben."