forty-eight

Aurora apparated to the Shell Cottage shortly after Bill did. She walked up to the home, finding Harry kneeling beside a grave with tears streaming down his face.

She walked to him, stilling when she saw who the grave was for.

"Dobby?" she quietly said.

He nodded, "A-And Zoya–"

She knelt beside him and brought him in for a hug, holding him as he broke down. A new wave of tears formed in her eyes as she looked at Dobby's grave.

"We buried her. She's safe now," Aurora whispered.

He shook his head, "It shouldn't have been her, Aurora, she should be here," he cried.

She pulled apart from him and looked at him, "Hey, we have to make it worth it, then. We have to win this. For her, for Dobby, my father, your parents, Mad-Eye, Cedric, everyone."

He nodded, "You're right. But... we've been doing all of this with her. It doesn't feel real."

"I'm sorry, Harry," she quietly said.

He nodded lightly, "I'll tell you what's happened just... I need a little bit."

She knelt up and walked inside to Hermione and Ron crying together by a window while Luna and Ben just stared out at the water. Ben turned when he heard footsteps, "Aurora?"

She looked at him, "Ben?" he nodded and they gave each other a small hug, "Are you okay? What are you doing here?" she questioned.

"I was captured with Luna. I'm all right now."

She sighed and looked to Bill and Fleur who barely had dry eyes. He offered her a cup of tea and she declined.

"Whatever plans they have, it needs to wait a little. They can't go out like this," Aurora said to them.

"Good luck convincing Potter," Bill said.

"I think he knows he needs to take a break as well," Aurora replied, "Have you got enough room for us to stay a night?"

The six slept in the living room that night, though not much sleeping was done between the four of them. When the sun rose and the smell of breakfast filled Aurora's senses, Harry, Ron, and Hermione did their best to hold back their tears and get to business.

And so Aurora told them about her journey to America, the Horcrux, Augustus, Celestina, everything.

The information was so jarring to them that Aurora swore she was able to take their minds off of Zoya for a split second.

Afterwards, Harry told Aurora of what happened during their travels. They destroyed the Locket Horcrux, which brought Aurora some relief. He then told her of the Sword of Gryffindor, and how he found it in a frozen lake. 

"We need to talk to the Goblin," Harry said after he caught Aurora up.

Bill led the four upstairs to the room Griphook was in. His eyes were shut, sitting in a chair.

"How are you?" Harry asked.

He opened his eyes, "Alive."

"You probably don't remember that–"

"– That I showed you to your vault the first time you came to Gringotts. Even amongst Goblins, your famous, Harry Potter," Griphook said as they walked further into the room. Aurora came into his sight, "Ah, Aurora Black. I wasn't expecting to see you here."

"Griphook," she acknowledged.

"You buried the elf." Griphook commented.

"Yes," Harry said as he glanced out of the window.

"And your friend as well?"

Harry paused and nodded slowly, "Yes," he said quieter.

"And brought me here. You are a... very unusual wizard," he said before pointing to a sword sitting up against a wall, "How did you come by this sword?"

Harry glanced at it, "It's complicated. Why did Bellatrix Lestrange think it should be in her vault at Gringotts?"

"It's complicated," Griphook replied. 

"The sword presented itself to us in a moment of need. We didn't steal it."

"There is a sword in Madam Lestrange's vault identical to this one, but it's a fake. It was placed there this past summer."

"And she never suspected it was a fake?" Aurora questioned. 

Griphook turned his gaze to her, "The replica is very convincing. Only a Goblin would recognize that this is the true Sword of Gryffindor."

"Who is the acquaintance?" she asked. 

"A Hogwarts professor. As I understand it, he's now Headmaster."

"Snape?" Ron asked, "he put a fake sword in Bellatrix's vault? Why?"

"There are more than a few curious things in the vaults at Gringotts."

"And in Madam Lestrange's vault as well?" Harry asked. 

Griphook sighed, "Perhaps."

"I need to get into Gringotts... into one of the vaults."

"This is impossible," Griphook said. 

"Alone, yes," Harry said as he glanced to Aurora, who nodded lightly. He looked back to Griphook, "But with you, no."

"Why should I help you?"

"I have gold. Lots of it."

"I have no interest in gold."

"Then what?" Harry asked. 

Griphook pointed to the sword, "That. That is my price."

Harry obliged, and with that, he, Hermione, and Ron left the room. Aurora stayed back and sat on the edge of the bed, taking a deep breath.

"What is it?" Griphook questioned, his back turned to her. 

"Nothing. Just need a few seconds to breathe," Aurora replied, placing her hands on her knees as she took deep breaths. 

"I can see the black markings peaking through your shirt. Those markings are the effects of only one thing I know of."

"And what is that?" Aurora questioned, looking at the floor.

"The Scythe Horcrux."

She looked up at Griphook, "How do you know about that?"

"I am an elderly Goblin, Miss Black. I know and have seen a lot."

She sighed lightly, "The Horcrux penetrated my skin near my heart. The spot hurts from time to time."

"Because it's cursed."

She chuckled humorlessly, "Just my luck. Will it kill me?"

"If you let it."

"I've been tortured with Crucio for hours on end. I've had a weakening curse thrown at me over and over, and now this," Aurora quietly said, "I've been trying to ignore it, but it seems as if all the trauma my body has endured is finally catching up to me."

Griphook folded his hands into one another, "Despite what most say, Crucio can be deadly. Miss Kien is an unfortunate example of that. After hearing what you just said, I'm surprised you're still alive," he said, glancing back at her.

"Yeah," Aurora whispered, "me too."