fifteen

Aurora listened to her aunt, and read the letter that night.

George was fast asleep in bed, his poor head still wrapped up in bandages. It was the night before Bill and Fleurs wedding and the day had been spent getting things ready.

She took a deep breath and opened the letter, beginning to read it.

Aurora,

I remember finding out I was pregnant with you. I was 17, your father almost 18. We were in our last year in Hogwarts with nothing figured out. Despite the circumstances, your father and I felt nothing but joy to finally bring you into the world. You are the best thing that could have ever happened to your father, and I'm sure you will have heard that many times before you read this. If not, you'll at least be reading it from me. You are the best thing that could have happened to us.

Telling everyone was both exciting and incredibly nerve wracking. Of course, our friends were more than excited. Pandora congratulated us with an enchanted bird, Lily was crying, Remus was asking us why we weren't using contraceptive when we are 'literally made of magic', Peter fainted, Marlene and Dorcas were cheering, and James asked 'how we managed to do that', before your father went on to explain that when 'a man and a woman love each other very much...'

Althena was the first to know, though. I was freaking out, pulled her into the bathroom, and proceeded to cry. She took care of me more than she realizes during that time. I was very fortunate to grow up with such understanding and supportive parents. Your grandparents were most certainly worried and a little angry at Sirius at first, but all of that turned into joy.

Your poor father. He didn't want to tell his parents, but I insisted. Walburga and Orion yelled at me for about 2 hours straight, they placed some sort of charm on Sirius that prevented him from doing anything. They then tried to hex me into taking a potion that would get rid of you, but Sirius managed to break free from whatever they did. Between you and I, I think it was Regulus who broke that charm as he was in the house that night. Merlin, 12 Grimmauld Place gives me bloody nightmares. I feel horrible that your father had to endure such a place for so long.

There is so much uncertainty right now given the war, which makes me fear I will not get to watch you grow up. I pray every night that it won't come to that, but being in this war has taught me that I must always be prepared for the worst. This is why I am writing to you.

For a long time, I feared I wasn't going to be a good enough mother to do. That fear still creeps up my spine from time to time. I hope you never find this letter, that you have grown up with your father and I and we have lived maybe not a peaceful life, but a life together.

Merlin, I have so many thoughts racing through my head to tell you but I cannot seem to get it down on paper. Maybe it's the pregnancy brain. I suppose this letter will be the first to know, I'm pregnant again! I'm overjoyed and slightly scared because of how dangerous things are out there. Im planning on telling your father on Halloween. We have plans to take you out to a muggle neighborhood far from here to have just one night of excitement without fear. Im about 7 weeks along right now, thanks to muggle magic, I've learned that's it's a boy! I cannot wait to see your father's reaction to that.

Your father has never been trick or treating before, so this will be a new experience for you both. I have a feeling he will eat too much candy and get sick by the end of the night.

Aurora couldn't focus on the rest of what she was reading as tears began streaming down her face violently.

Either George wasn't asleep yet, or she was being that loud because he came rushing out of the bedroom shortly after.

"Love? What's wrong?"

His eyes landed on the letter in her hand, watching it slip to the ground. He sat beside her and picked up the note, reading it over quickly. He sighed and sat the parchment beside him, pulling her into him as he whispered I'm sorrys and what can I do.

It took a little while for Aurora to calm her breathing and still her shaking body. When she did, she took a deep breath, "I didn't mean to wake you."

"Don't apologize." He mumbled into her hair before placing a kiss on her head, "Do you want to talk about it?"

"What is there to talk about? I could have had a brother, a little brother. And he was killed by Voldemort. My dad never knew about him... we all will never get to meet him. Merlin, I'm so fucking sick and tired of crying all the time!" She said, wiping her tears away with an annoyed huff.

"Better to get it all out then bottle it up, yeah?"

"Yeah." She whispered.

George picked up the rest of the parchment, "Do you want me to read the rest of the letter to you?"

She nodded with her face buried in his chest, and he did so. She held onto each word he said, more tears falling but at a more softer pace. 

"You will do great things, Aurora. And even if I'm not there to see it, know that I will always be watching over you. I love you, Mum."

She sighed softly as he put the letter down, "Pretty sweet, that was." He said, "Your mum loved you very much, Aurora."

"I know. Just wish I could remember the little time we had together."

"If it's anything, I think she's proud of the woman you've become."

"You think so?"

He kissed her forehead, "I know so."