02.

Amille Laurent.

Starting something new is haunting, it's as if you're so afraid of going wrong that you're actually tempted to have something go wrong so you'll have some semblance of peace, I was such a person, first tries to anything made me jittery and nervous, I can never truly understand why, but it just happens.

I'd woken up early, set up the extra bedroom on the ground floor next to the game room as my gallery, it wasn't going to have use anyway, why not give it some. My inspiration on the painting had come from my very fear of first things, it was a painting of the school I was to be attending, one gate was mangled as if someone with really strong arms had tried to crush it, the other was pristine and perfect a contrast to how we all feel about school, great and really horrible at times.

"This is really good." Dad says behind me startling me, of course I didn't scream, that was impossible but I did jump holding my precious heart. "Dad, that was not cool." I whined as he chuckled and came over to hug me. "I'm sorry sweeetie, I didn't mean to, but you shouldn't be up eo early in the morning, setting up all this by yourself, where did you even get the paint?" He questions as he lets me go from our embrace. "I always have paint, plus I'm turning eighteen soon dad, I can do most things by myself, and yes, I got inspiration, it's why I woke up early to paint." I signed my response and has scoffed.

"You got first day jitters, couldn't sleep so you came down here to put your mind to some sort of ease." He retorted and I sighed. "That too." I admitted and he chuckled walking to the door. "I know you lady bug, the painting is great, if the paint dries early enough you could actually give it to your headmaster today, now go get ready, you look like a hot mess." I didn't know how to interpret that statement, was he complimenting me or was he throwing in some shade with that compliment, but none the less I did as told, I was nervous but I'd try.

Getting ready for the day wasn't much of a hassle for me, styling my hair on the other hand was, I had really curly long black hair, it knotted most of the time if I didn't use enough moisturizer or relaxer, so in the spirit of not wanting to be late I pulled it into a bun, used a jade needle to hold the knot ontop of my head, I left two long strands to frame my face, the rest needed minimum effort and I was out the door.

"Come on eat up, your bones need a little more meat." He asserted and I narrowed my eyes on him. "Dad, I'm not thin, I'm petite, bordering on the edge of starting to get fat." I retorted and he just chuckled as we ate breakfast, him going through his schedule. "Mister Delano sent your payment for the portrait by the way, and he sent his regards along with notice that he'll send a picture of his daughter next to be painted." Dad informed me as we got into his car after he helped me put my bag in, for some reason I was fragile, or short, I can't keep up anymore, I just let him.

"I hope he paid our agreed fee or I'm not painting anything else." I signed and my father just chuckled. "Look at you being cute and grumbling, yes he paid your fee." He replied patting my head and soon we were off, headed toward my new school. "Good, because I'm starting to lose it with that man's incessant need to have paintings of his family." I added and dad just chuckled. "It'll be over soon and you'll enjoy the money." He shot back and I just smiled with a blush, I would really enjoy the money.

"That's Selous Academy, it's different, a lot more buildings." Dad remarked as he parked by the sidewalk and I got out to get to the backseat where my bag was. "Do you have your tablet?" He asked and I showed it to him. "The other one?" He asserted and I showed him. "Your phone, your book bag, your glasses and your credit card, and your lunch bag, I put another jacket in there just in case." He kept on rambling and I just groaned face palming. "Dad I'm seventeen, I can handle this." I typed on my phone and text to speech as a hero came through. "I know, but this is a new school, and I won't be closeby, I'm worried." He whined hugging me and I rolled my eyes hugging him back.

"You have work dad, so go on shoo." I signed and he held his heart in horror. "You'd actually shoo away your own father, how dare you." He dramatically put across and the both of us laughed."Love you too dad, now go before you're late." I finally stated as he kissed my forehead. "Have a great first day honey, your uncle will pick you up." He informed and I nodded as I waved him off.

So the daunting journey began as I turned to the gates I drew this morning, the painting hadn't dried so I left it at home, most of the students were preoccupied with their friends, and paid no attention to the new kid, I was glad, however there were a few groups who actually noticed me, some waved some just nodded my way as I made it through the crowds until I got to the double doors of the main building that opened dramatically when I got through, since they made a bang everyone turned to look at me and I cringed, so much for going unnoticed.

The stares, the waves and the nods increased, Goddess I felt awkward. "Morning, I'm —." I stated but the receptionist looked at me and paused. "Oh my goodness you look just like him." She shrieked and I cringed. "You're Amille Laurent right, I'm miss Parker, I'm a friend of your dad's, well I don't know if we're still friends but we used to be friends, I didn't believe the rumor that he was back until I saw the student transfer scripts with his name, and you're his son, oh my goodness, the guys are gonna flip." She rambled on and I was still dazed by her outburst, for someone supposedly as old as my dad she acted like a teen.

"Parker breathe." The man I assumed was the headmaster stated as he walked out of his office, he was obviously a wolf, no human man had that much of an animalistic feel to them. "You must be Amille, our new student." He stated I nodded. "I'm going to need a more verbal answer." He asserted and I typed on my phone to which he frowned then turned to miss Parker who was now frowning at the man. "I have mutism, I can't verbally speak but I can hear, feel, see, touch the whole enchilada just can't speak." I typed on my phone and a regretful stare overcame the man.

"I'm sorry, I'm very sorry, I must've seemed really ignorant, I'm sorry, If I had gone through your whole file I'd have known, I'm truly sorry, I'm Darwin Seras, —you can address me by my last name, headmaster or Sir, it's alright." He expressed and I nodded, atleast he had sense enough to admit his mistake. "It's alright, no harm done." I replied and he nodded, Goddess I could already see that overprotective look in his eyes, most wolves had that look the moment they learned of my condition, oh well, I'm at a loss might aswell roll with it.

"Let me show you your locker and first class." He offered taking what was my schedule, school map and locker number and code from miss Parker. "Bye Amille, have a great day." She waved me off and I nodded walking behind the headmaster. "The school is inclusive to both wolves and humans, we have several after school programs, I see you have a long list of talents here, maybe you could breathe life into our art program." He joked and I smiled to that too. "Your locker." He showed me and I opened it putting most of my stuff in. "Need help?" He asked and I signed no then realized he probably didn't know the language.

"Alright then, let's get to your first class, Ap biology." He asserted and led the way as I familiarized myself with the school, it seems they were big on sports and not just academics. "We've won the Bridgeton interschool football, lacrosse, gymnastics, cheerleading and tennis competitions for a consecutive six years." He pointed out and my jaw dropped. "I just thought you're big on sports but that's wow." I pointed out and he chuckled as he opened a door to an already filled class on the second floor. "I know." He whispered back as we walked in and some students gasped.

"Good morning Richards, everyone this is Amille Laurent, he'll be joining us for the school year, don't cause him any trouble." He announced to the class as I stood awkwardly in the background. "He uses his phone and other gadgets to communicate, I'm sure Parker might've informed you so you'll have to make an exception, he can sign too." The headmaster added toward who I presumed was my teacher mister Richards. "Of course, Amille take a seat next to Maxine." He responded and I nodded walking over to the waving girl with wavy hair and earthy green eyes, she was a wolf, I could just tell. "Alright, Amille your schedule, find me if you need anything." The headmaster exclaimed giving me my papers, his behavior seemed to have really shocked the class, oh boy.

Howling Love.

Saint Jay