15.

Amille Laurent.

I was nervous, knots in my stomach nervous, butterflies that cut, almost to the point of pulling on my curls but I wasn't yet there, almost. "Are you done honey, we need to go, or we'll be late." My dad mentions as he stood by the door to my bedroom, today was Camryn's birthday, he had invited me and my dad along with my whole family to the small party, Kendra his assistant had put together for him, which is the reason why I was nervous, I hadn't formally met his parents, save for the disastrous meeting I had with his dad, the alpha, when we had the barbeque, and to add to my nervous state, Camryn barely talked about his parents, more on his siblings.

"I'm ready, I—just need to breath." I signed and my dad chuckled walking further into my room. "You're nervous about meeting them huh and finally being in the same room with a lot of people he's close to and they see you as his potential mate." He asserted and of course my dad would know how I felt, from what I know and what he told me, he had been in this position before, he had tried masking it but I could see the worry lines etched on his face, he didn't want a repeat of what happened to him, happen to me. "Yeah " I replied in my language with a sigh. "Oh sweetheart, I can't tell you how to feel right now, but what I can assure you is that, Camryn is different and nomatter the outcome today, I'm sure you'll be fine." He assured as I turned around from my full body mirror and hugged him.

"There, —there kiddo, you'll be alright." He whispered and all I wanted in that moment was to ask if he was going to be okay, he was after all meeting the alpha family for the first time in years, but I couldn't— so I settled on a smile as we parted. "You look breathtaking by the way." He mentions and I couldn't help blush with a light laugh. "Stop it dad." I mused as he winked at me, I saw it as we stood facing the mirror. His phone rang an alarm somewhere downstairs gaining our attention. "We've got to go now, or we'll be late." He added and I nodded grabbing my phone and my small necessities bag that I shoved into my jacket pocket.

Looking over myself one last time, I nodded to myself, this was it, today Camryn would potentially find his mate. I made my way downstairs as dad was waiting by the kitchen door which opened to the garage, I knew he had already put our presents in the car, so I hurriedly locked the door, turned on the security alarm then got into the car, I wondered when dad was going to allow me to get my own car, he was still touchy about the whole topic hence why I was chauffeured everywhere by my uncle, aunt, Camryn or himself, talk about —overprotective. "Dad." I called out through my phone. "Will you finally let me get a car?" I asked and he scoffed. "Just because you're potentially getting an alpha as a mate, doesn't mean I'll loosen my grip on you sweetheart, no car for you, I already told your uncle and your cousins to avoid having you by the wheel." He retorted and my jaw dropped.

"Dad!" I was outwardly yelling and cringing at his statement. "Sorry not sorry." He adds as I glare at him from the backseat whilst we drove deeper into pack territory, as we got closer the sound of heavy music beyond the tree line caught my attention. "It seems the packhouse is on fire, wolves do know how to celebrate." Dad explains as I squint my eyes to see a little better beyond the trees, I hadn't been this deep into pack territory seeing as Camryn didn't like being here, I didn't force him, but pictures from my cousins and Max were enough to give me a view of what it looked like but just the experience in person, was appreciated, the building was grand and beautiful, I definitely had inspiration for a lot of paintings to come.

As we drove away from the pack nucleus my heart beat a little faster, we were finally close to Camryn's home, where they were. I turned on my phone and used the front camera to check myself, my hair still in a low bun, strands framing my face—."You look fine kiddo, now let's get in there." Dad states as he parks a bit of a distance away from where the party was, since there were other cars parked in front. I sighed, it was now or never, so I got out, my boots clicking on the floor, I had been right to take the jacket, the evening air was a bit chilly but it did nothing to hinder my rapid beating heart.

"Just breathe." Dad whispered as I took Camryn's present from him, we had actually bought them two days ago, uncle Kyra knew about his birthday but it seems Camryn himself had forgotten which was cute but it could be accredited to how busy he had been but luckily he remembered just in time. Before dad could even ring the doorbell the door burst open and I was wrapped in multiple inflated biceps, I was used to it at this point. Tej and Orlando rumbled like cats as they hugged me. "Okay, okay, stop squeezing him to death and let me get a hug in." My aunt intervened making dad chuckle. "What took you so long, the party felt dead." Tej grumbled as dad and I looked at him in shock. "What, —we all know it was." He mumbled in response as Orlando smacked him making me chuckle.

"Hello sweetheart, ooooh I missed you." Aunt Bonnie gushed over, squeezing me just enough too. "I missed you too." I signed my response as we separated. "Come here you!" She squealed grabbing my dad in a bear hug whilst her mate showed up and almost tackled us to the ground. "What is wrong with you people!" My dad shrieked as uncle Kyra twirled all three of us around while laughing. "Nothing, just excited to see you, seriously this party was dead." He replied and I facepalmed. "See I told you." Tej supports and all I can do is surrender into amusement. "Come on Calvin, let's turn this mother up!" Bonnie called out dragging her brother into the house.

"Looking smokin' kiddo." Uncle Kyra stated with a wink my way making me blush. "Only you could cause a commotion." Max asserted as she squealed running to me. "Im so glad you're here, I couldn't take anymore rambling about lacrosse, or rugby, ugh." She gagged. "Hey!" Orlando and Tej both protest. "What ever." She waved them off as I hugged her again. "Come on, Dean and Camryn will be here soon, Camryn's dad had him do his final rites before he became alpha." She explained and I remembered that it was a hunt aided by a friend, normally the next in line beta would be the one to hunt with Camryn but since Orlando had already finished his rites, a close friend was needed, the transfer of power in the pack would be done when Camryn was truly ready which was any day after his eighteenth birthday, but knowing Camryn, he would postpone for a bit.

"Damn, you look really good, dressed up to impress your man I see." Max whispered in my ear and I punched her bicep. "We all know it's true." She retorted and I rolled my eyes. "Seriously though cuz' you look like one helluva meal." Orlando added and I chuckled whilst trying not to blush, as we got out to the backyard the slight warmth dimmed, of course the party was in full swing, but coming face to face with the woman who I knew for sure was Camryn's mother and the cold glare she sent my way, it made me wonder what I did to her to get on her bad side. "You made it, I knew your dad was kidding when he said you didn't come!" That would be Max's mom and Dean's who were raving and sending playful glares at my dad.

"Hie." I used my phone to greet the two women as we hugged. "Oh look at you, always a precious gem." Dean's mom muttered caressing my cheek. "Come lets get you acquainted with some of the folks here." She added as I was turning away from Camryn's mom and introduced to his aunt, they were lovely. After a few rounds of introductions and me getting no reprieve from Orlando or Tej's constant need of my attention we were finally waiting for Camryn, Dean and the alpha, before they arrived someone else walked up to me. "It seems you missed me in the greeting." She stated with a hardened tone. "Luna Summer, I'm so sorry, I got so caught up." I told her through my phone and she didn't seem surprised but rather snickered.

"I wonder what my son sees in you, or what he saw in your father, you're beautiful no doubt, loved by all and are graceful, a lot of the pack members you've encountered have had nothing but shining remarks of you, but I'm not so easily fooled, —I won't let you bre—." Before she could finish we both turned to meet to meet the eyes of the alphas who had returned from their hunt and both of them seemed angry.

Howling Love.

Vote + Share + Comment + Follow

Saint Jay