Chapter 38: Midnight, War, Burn

I own nothing.
Chapter 38: Escape from Monstro

As night settled over the besieged cities, the fragmented team of Jaune, Ren, and Yang settled into a cabin that they had fortunately stumbled across after scaling the cliff. Despite getting the heater working, Ren chose to sit out in the snow, reflecting upon failing the two youngest members of their group and his tension with Nora which seemed to finally boil over. Jaune felt equally helpless inside. Yang had not said anything since they had lost the Grimm, throwing herself into fixing the bike and getting to the whale as fast as possible. Still, her emotions were barely chained down as her hands shook, occasionally scraping the vital parts for the bike.
"Yang, I can take over-,"
She rounded on him. "I can do this!"
Jaune kept a straight face, not taking her aggression to heart. He couldn't imagine the kind of panic Yang was going through right now.
"You can, but we're all under a lot of stress right now. We can't afford to act recklessly."
Yang blinked, realizing how she sounded. She looked at the floor, her eyes betraying the utter shame she felt.
"I have to do this. I can't let (Y/N) down again."
"You haven't let him down."
She growled. "I couldn't stop him from running off to face Ironwood at the Academy, and right when we get him back, I let that thing take him to Salem! We have no idea what she could be doing to him because I couldn't protect him!"
"Yang." Jaune said, trying to keep her calm. "He's a fighter, you're not always going to be able to protect him. That's why you taught him to fight for himself."
"Yeah, I taught him alright, taught how to run recklessly into a fight with no regard for his safety."
"No!" Jaune's voice was stern and confident, much to Yang's surprise. "That isn't what you taught him! You taught him to protect himself and others, you taught how to be a selfless person and to stand up to evil. You taught him that he didn't need to be afraid. Yang, you haven't failed him."
She looked down at the motor part, still not convinced. "Do you think...do you think they all think less of me, for not helping with Amity, for letting Salem get (Y/N)?"
"They're your family, Yang, they're always going to love you even if you disagree with them, (Y/N) included."
Her gaze drifted for a moment. Yang had started to recognize the tension between her and her brother. She wasn't blind to (Y/N)'s increasing frustration with her, and it wasn't like she could blame him. After all, even arguing, (Y/N) was still keeping her secret.
She sighed. "I'm gonna make sure Ren doesn't freeze to death."
"Thanks."
(Timeskip)
The next time (Y/N) woke up, it was to another burning sensation in his chest. It wasn't nearly as horrible as the one he felt at the academy, but it still made him grit his teeth. He huffed, trying to quell the fire as two people came into his mind:
Nora and Penny.
Something had happened to them, but again, he didn't know what.
He sat up, trying to concoct a plan to escape, but again, he came up short. Every way he looked at it, escaping, much less breaking Oscar out and getting the lamp back, would require outside help. While he was optimistic about being able to convince Hazel to help them, that would require actually being able to talk to the man, and Hazel seemed more interested in torturing Oscar than visiting (Y/N). Frustrated, the boy closed his eyes, trying to figure out how he was going to get out, not noticing the door opening.
"(Y/N)?"
He opened his eyes to see a familiar figure.
"Emerald."
The girl looked at him, a little awkward and unsure. She had an apple in her hand. Neither one said anything for a little while before Emerald sat down.
"I...I figured you were hungry. I know you eat a lot and you really like fruit, so I thought you'd...well..."
He hummed. "While all that is true, I'm a little tied up at the moment."
He wiggled his restraints and Emerald blushed.
"Oh, right."
She looked down, fiddling with the apple. The dragon gave her a curious look.
"What are you doing here, Emerald?"
"I...meh...I guess I just wanted to talk to someone and you probably would be the best choice."
He grimaced. "It's a little concerning that your best conversation partner is a ten year old...who you betrayed...and are keeping prisoner."
"Well as it turns out I don't have as many people to talk to freely as I thought."
(Y/N) was unsure how to proceed. On the one hand, he didn't trust Emerald anymore, she had lost any respect and friendship they had after the Fall, but on the other hand, her defenses were completely down right now. (Y/N) knew this wasn't an act because he already knew what Emerald acting looked like. She was genuinely distraught, and deep down, as much as he hated it, some part of him still clung to the memories of Beacon, including hers. That didn't mean he had to be nice about it.
"I take it you somehow finally realized Cinder is a jerk."
"She isn't-!" Emerald stopped herself, thinking for a moment. "Cinder is under a lot of pressure. She cares deep down, she has to."
He quirked a brow. "Are you sure about that? No offense, but Cinder seems too full of herself to consider others."
"Yeah, well you don't know her like I do."
He gave another look. "I've been on the receiving end of her aggression, and, you know, the whole soul sight. I think I have a pretty good idea of who Cinder is with her blood soaked, black hole of a soul."
Emerald looked very concerned. "Is...is it really that bad?"
"Let me put it this way, I've only met two other creatures with worse ones, both of whom are on this whale, and they have way better reasons to be like that." The older girl sighed, putting her face in her hands. "Emerald, why do you even follow Cinder?"
"What do you mean?"
"You're terrified of everything going on around here. You have to know this is crossing a line. Why are you still here?"
"Because Cinder saved me!" She snapped. "I owe it to her. I was exactly like you were before she found me: alone, tossed aside and uncared for by the world. I only had myself. Cinder saved me and made me into something, exactly how Ruby and her friends saved you. Aren't you willing to do anything for them?"
"There's a big difference between us, Emerald." He growled.
"Oh yeah? What?"
"My sisters saved me because it was the right thing to do. They took me in and treated me like family and didn't expect anything in return. Cinder 'saved' you because she saw she could get something out of you. If you didn't have your Semblance, she would've left you to rot. I have a family, Emerald, you don't, not with Cinder anyways. She doesn't care about you."
She blinked, as if it was the first time the truth finally hit her. She curled up, completely defeated.
"Mercury said the exact same thing. If you two agree on something, I guess it has to be true."
The dragon gagged. "Ugh, I can't believe I'm agreeing with the Dum-dum! I didn't think this day could get any worse!"
Emerald laughed a bit at his childish outburst. Despite the seriousness of the situation, what finally made (Y/N) was the simple idea of him and Mercury being on the same page. To be fair, the older male likely would react in the exact same manner. The young dragon noted her laughter and sighed.
"You know, he does care..."
Emerald paused. "Who?"
"Mercury. He does actually care about you."
She rolled her eyes. "Now you're just making fun of me."
"I'm not. Look, he's an ass, I'll happily preach that till I'm dead, but behind all that snark, he is genuinely trying to protect you. I mean, you said it yourself, he was blunt about Cinder to you. If he didn't care, why would he try to warn you, or protect you back at Haven?"
Again, she was stunned. It never crossed her mind that jerky, pain in the butt Mercury could actually care. Yet, everything (Y/N) said made sense. In his own angry, jerky way, he had only given her advice. It was odd to wrap her head around, but it was oddly comforting.
She stood up. "(Y/N)...thank you."
As she walked out, the boy cleared his throat. "While some part of me is glad you've gotten over...this, Emerald, I feel the need to give another warning. Though this is also for my sake in future."
She turned, impressed by his bluntness. "Really, and I should listen and not report you because?"
"I can just tell the next person who comes in here that you took advice from your prisoner and fed me."
She nodded, accepting the answer. "Good point."
(Y/N)'s face became much more serious. "You can't trust Salem, Emerald. Everything she's promised you, it's all a lie. She only cares about one thing, and to get it, all of us need to be dead. It doesn't even matter if she achieves her goal. So long as the world is destroyed, she'll be satisfied."
The small comfort Emerald had retaken evaporated. A part of her hope (Y/N) was lying, trying to manipulate her in order to help his odds at escaping, but she knew better. (Y/N) wasn't that kind of person, regardless of how desperate he was. That look on his face wasn't something someone could just fake, not even her. Besides, it wasn't like she trusted Salem all that much to begin with. Still, she stepped out without another word. (Y/N) sighed. He still didn't trust Emerald, but...some part of him did feel better knowing she was starting to change her mind. Still, it wasn't like it was getting him closer to escape. Hazel was still their best shot. All he could do for now was wait for the opportunity.
(Timeskip)
The whale had shifted significantly as (Y/N) waited, tossing him around his prison as his balance was significantly reduced due to not having use of his wings or arms. He could hear the groaning for the Grimm and if he concentrated, he could barely make out the sound of swarming Grimm and sirens. If he had to guess, he could only guess Salem had finally decided to begin her assault on the Kingdom. By the time he could finally settle himself, the boy was exhausted. His body was aching, a combination of the restraints, the damage Salem had done previously to him, and the dull ache from whatever had happened to Penny and Nora. He was getting very impatient to escape by this point.
Fortunately, the universe seems to finally give him a break as Hazel finally decided to grace him with his presence.
The man looked stoic, clearly having questions, and his guard was up. (Y/N) tensed, teeth bared and his tail flicking. Regardless of whether or not Hazel was his best chance, it didn't mean he was going to drop his own guard. Besides, he could smell Oscar's blood on him, and that angered him to know end.
"What do you want?" The boy snarled.
"No need to get aggressive."
"I'm the one tied up, I think I have a right to be a little snappy."
Hazel backed off a bit, not really having a counter argument. He lowered his hands, trying to appear less intimidating (and failing). (Y/N) follow suit, trying to not appear as guarded.
"Ozpin told me about the lamp."
(E/C) eyes went wide. "What!?"
"He said it would convince me. Before I risk my life on the words of a liar, I want to hear what you have to say. If both of you are lying, I won't hesitate."
Smoke puffed from (Y/N)'s nose. He didn't take kindly to threats, but he could tell Hazel wasn't bluffing. Oscar seemed to follow the same logic as he had. They had to get Hazel on their side if they wanted to get away.
"What do you want to know?"
"Start with the lamp."
"It can answer three questions every 100 years. There's one question left and to summon the spirit, you have to call her name."
Hazel rubbed his chin. "So he was telling the truth. What about Salem?"
"She's cursed with immortality. She thinks by dividing humanity and gathering the relics, she can summon the gods to destroy Remnant and her curse will end."
Hazel still seemed unconvinced. "You could've come up with this story before all this in case you were captured. How do I know you're telling the truth?"
The boy growled. "Just ask Jinn! She can show you everything!"
"Or this could be a ploy to waste the last question."
"Seriously?" (Y/N) was getting frustrated by this point. "Salem doesn't need the question, just the relic! And even if she did, she's immortal! What's another century to her?" The older male began to walk away. "Hazel, listen to me. Ozpin may be a liar, but Salem's a bigger one. Under all that power, she's a desperate human who wants it all to end."
He gruffed. "Human?"
The boy nodded. "A broken human. You could understand that. You're angry at Ozpin because your sister died. Salem lost four daughters at the start of this. The only reason she hasn't killed me is because I remind her of one. That's the kind of pain that's driving her. You of all people know how destructive that is."
Hazel stopped, his eyes betraying his own mistrust. Still, he had held on to his hate for Ozpin for so long he wasn't about to just put it aside on a gamble.
"I don't believe you're lying to me, but I'm not sure I can risk this."
(Y/N) sat up straight. "Then let me tell you why trusting Salem is an even bigger risk: the creature that brought me here, do you actually know what it is?"
"She said an experiment. What does the Grimm have to do with this."
"Can you actually call a Grimm? Last time I checked, they don't have souls."
Hazel blinked. "What? That-that's impossible."
"Salem is proof that humans can be corrupted into Grimm-like creatures. She's only conscious because she's immortal. What do you think would happen to a normal human if they went through what she did? You don't even need to answer, because we've both seen what happens."
Hazel looked ready to throw up. He didn't want to believe it was true, because if it was, everything he had done would have gone against everything he and his sister once believed in. Gretchen would've looked at him hatefully if it were the case. (Y/N) continued to explain. It was cruel, but Hazel needed to understand how little life actually mattered to Salem.
"Hazel, I've seen souls who were hurting, yours included, but that soul in that monster was fragmented. Scared, in agony, and unable to understand what was going on. That is what Salem thinks of all life on this planet. Not just her enemies, not just humanity, everyone. Destroying the world means nothing to her."
Hazel swallowed, the words ringing hauntingly in his ears. He struggled to comprehend the grave warning of the small boy. Despite the risk, he had to know who was telling the truth, and he honestly prayed that it wasn't the boys, or at the very least that they were wrong. As he once more began to leave, (Y/N) stopped him one last time.
"Hazel, there's...something else about that monster."
"What else could there be?"
(Y/N) fidgeted, no longer confident in his words. "I...it's not something I completely understand, in fact I could be completely off the mark, but the soul trapped in there, even in pieces, it looked familiar. When I noticed that, it got me thinking: in order to survive the kind of transformation Salem and that monster had to go through, maybe you need some kind of Grimm resistance to Grimm ichor, just so it does completely destroy your body. But, I couldn't be sure unless I asked you something."
Hazel felt a dreaded chill in his spine. (Y/N)'s voice sounded frightened, as if he was also hoping he was wrong.
Fearfully, he snapped. "Out with it boy!"
(Y/N) looked up, a broken empathetic look in his eyes, as if he already knew the answer to his question.
"Hazel...what color were your sister's eyes?"
The man did not answer, the world around him seeming to fade to static. He nearly collapsed on himself as a full blown panic attack seemed to overtake him. As he raced out the door, (Y/N) hung his head sadly.
An eternity seemed to pass before Hazel returned, this time accompanied by Oscar and Emerald. The farm hand, beaten and bloodied, ran up to the boy, the relief palpable in his voice.
"(Y/N)!" The two hugged as Oscar attempted to find a way to remove the restraints. "Are you okay? Did she hurt you?"
"I'm fine." He insisted. "She didn't do that much to me. What about you? You look awful!"
"I'm all right, I'm just glad you didn't get hurt."
The restraints didn't budge. Emerald knelt down, pushing Oscar out of the way.
"Move, let a professional handle this."
She immediately began picking the lock and in no time, (Y/N) was free. He rolled his wrists and stretched his wings, getting circulation back into them.
"Well that feels a lot better." He looked at his former friend. "What changed your mind?"
She looked away. "You were right...about everything."
"I didn't want to be." He looked at Hazel who still looked haunted. "Especially not about that. Hazel...I'm so sorry."
He simply tossed (Y/N) his weapons. "Let's go."
"What about the lamp?"
Oscar shook his head. "We take it and Salem will know we've escaped. We'll have to figure out another way, at another time. Right now, we just need to get out of here."
"Okay, but how?"
Emerald stepped up. "Leave that to me. Hey farm hand, how's your upper body strength?"
Oscar raised a brow at her. "What?"
(A bit later)
(Y/N) didn't quite understand why he had to sit on Oscar's shoulders for this illusion to work, but he wasn't about to argue with the girl concealing them from the seer Grimm. Fortunately for Oscar, (Y/N) was deceptively light for how hard he could hit, a benefit to being able to fly he supposed. The two boys, masked as Hazel, followed closely behind Emerald, trying to pretend they knew where they were going."
"You sure Hazel's gonna be okay?" (Y/N) asked.
Emerald sighed. "I don't know, we need to get-," She suddenly stopped them in their tracks. "Wait."
Salem suddenly came into view, walking methodically. Emerald pulled the boys to the side as she approached.
"Ah, Hazel." Salem greeted as (Y/N) held back the urge to swallow. "Have you gotten what we need yet?"
Oscar and (Y/N) beneath the illusion looked at each other, panicking for answers as Emerald watched nervously. The dragon then punched his chest, trying to pull himself together.
"Not yet." Hazel's voice coming from his mouth. "But I will."
"I'm sure you will." Salem stated in her eerily calm tone. Suddenly, a loud screech rang out through the halls, making (Y/N) want to claw his ears off. "The seers. It seems we have guests. Find them!"
She bolted off towards the lamp, much to the relief of the three. (Y/N) then sniffed the air.
"Yang! Ren! Jaune!" He yelled.
Following (Y/N)'s nose, the trio ran down the hall. It didn't take long for them to run into the older kids. Since the illusion was still up, they drew their weapons, thinking they were a threat.
"You." Yang snarled.
Emerald instinctively drew her weapons as well, but (Y/N) stopped her.
"Emerald, no!" (Y/N) jumped off Oscar's shoulders as she dropped the illusion. "See? It's us."
"(Y/N)!" Yang yelled as she ran up and hugged him.
Jaune hugged Oscar as (Y/N) returned his sister's affection. Yang cradled him, as if he'd vanish if she let go.
"I'm all right." He tried to calm her.
"I'm so sorry. I'm sorry I let you get hurt."
"Yang, what are you talking about? You didn't let me get hurt."
"I should have protected you. It's my job."
"I'm fine. Really. It's okay now."
Emerald felt the need to butt in given that a bloodthirsty witch could be on their tail at any second.
"I thought I sensed some weak minds nearby."
The older kids looked at her angrily.
"What's...going on here?" Jaune asked.
Oscar crossed his arms. "It's a long story."
"You're gonna have to try and summarize it." Yang said, marching threateningly towards Emerald.
(Y/N) grabbed her arm. "Yang, cool it. She's with us."
"Are you serious, (Y/N)? Why should we trust her!?"
"Because she's scared." Ren answered.
Emerald flinched for a moment, but then she just rolled her eyes. "Or maybe because I know how to get out of here. Anybody coming?"
She marched off, to their disbelief. Yang gave (Y/N) a look and he shrugged.
"It's fine, I promise. Let's just get out of here before Salem realizes we're gone."
Without much choice, they all began running as fast as they could. (Y/N) attempted to fly, but his wings were still sore from being pinned for a while. Eventually, they came to the bridge.
"We're almost out!" Oscar yelled.
Suddenly the whale groaned loudly. Everyone covered their ears.
"What is that!?" Jaune yelled.
An explosion rang out before Emerald answered, sending them all skidding. (Y/N) groaned as he pulled himself up. To his horror, just feet away from freedom, Salem stood in their path. The witch glanced at her former prisoners, enraged, before deciding to grab Emerald who tried to run.
"You really have been honing that Semblance of yours."
Ren and Yang open fire, but Salem simply blasted them with magic. (Y/N) dove out of the way as Jaune put up his shield to protect Ren. As the boys got knocked back, Yang charged Salem, eyes red. She loaded charges into the witch before rolling away and activating them. While the explosion did damage, Salem was unfazed. She grabbed Yang as her body contorted, bones snapping slowly back into place and flesh sewing itself back together. She pulled Yang in reach to grab her as (Y/N) and Oscar stood up.
"Let them go!" Oscar demanded as they blasted the witch with magic and fire. Salem faltered a bit before throwing Yang at the boys, sending them all skidding. Arms then reached out from the floor and walls to grab everyone, pinning them in place. (Y/N) was the only one who managed to dodge, hovering in the air and ignoring the burning in his muscles. Salem dismissed him, throwing Emerald into a wall to be incapacitated.
She held up a ball of dark energy, threateningly. "What did you do with the lamp?"
"N-nothing!" Emerald said.
Salem did not believe her. "It's missing. Where is it?"
"We didn't take it!" (Y/N) yelled. "You would've known we got out if we did!"
Salem glared before pulling Oscar to his feet and stalking over to him. "Look how you've diminished. You've lessened yourself, and for what? These children? This ruined world?" She grabbed him. "Why do you keep coming back?"
"Why do you!?" Yang answered back defiantly. "All of this endless death, because something bad happened to you, once upon a time? Nobody gets a fairytale ending! Everything I've lost, every person I've lost, is because of you!"
Salem peered down at her, emotionless. "And who is it I've taken from you, girl?"
"Summer Rose, my mom!"
She hummed. "Her again?"
Salem was suddenly knocked away. Looking up, she saw (Y/N) standing between her and the Huntsmen. His expression was half wild and she was amused to see he was starting to revert to his rage fueled self. Yang's eyes widened as she recognized the signs.
"(Y/N), no! Stay awake! You have to stay awake!"
The boy growled low, his breath rapid. In his own head, (Y/N) fought to stay in control. He couldn't give into the monster right now, it was too dangerous.
"My girl, this is what he truly is." Salem said. "This is what all his kind is: as wild and destructive as the god who spawned them."
(Y/N) fought, swallowing back the urge to charge. He kept his feet planted, refusing to move and instead channeled the rage into vengeful words.
"You will not win, Salem. They will never let you win. You are still nothing to them."
Fury painted Salem's face as (Y/N) refused to give in. Another voice then joined in.
"Your Grace."
Hazel then stepped forward as the witch calmed herself.
"Ah, Hazel. I found our guests. This one was helping them." She motioned to Emerald before dropping Oscar. "Take the boys back to their chambers. I have work to do with this one."
Hazel nodded. "Yes, of course."
As the man approached, (Y/N) took control of his body again, prepared to fight at any cost. Hazel towered over the dragon and noted his determination. He glared at Oscar and whispered softly.
"No more Gretchen's, boy."
(Y/N) blinked, understanding. Together, they charged, knocking Salem far from Emerald. The witch glared at them as the Grimm arms receded, freeing everyone else. Hazel tossed away his vest as (Y/N) cracked his neck and prepared for the fight of their lives. Hazel, however, grabbed his shoulder and pulled him back before jamming a Dust crystal into his own shoulder.
"Go! Now!"
He then impaled himself with several more.
"Hazel!" Emerald said sadly.
He looked at her somberly, before looking hard at (Y/N).
"Get them out. Don't let it happen to your sister."
(Y/N) didn't want to leave Hazel behind. He wouldn't stand a chance alone, but there was no time.
The dragon nodded. "I won't."
(Y/N) ran, grabbed Emerald and basically dragged her away as Salem floated in the air.
"So you've decided against vengeance for your sister after all this time?"
Hazel blazed with fire, almost as intense as the hatred in his eyes.
"After what you did to her, you don't deserve to speak of her!"
Salem blasted magic at him as he charged. Hazel weaved, being grazed by the devastating spells, but he did not falter. He launched himself into the air, smashing into Salem and pulling her back down. He pummeled her with his bare fist, her body splatter all over the floor before he was pulled into the air by Grimm arms. (Y/N) had to keep pulling Emerald as they all ran to escape.
"Everyone out!" Jaune ordered as (Y/N) and Emerald ran past him. "Wait! Oscar!"
(Y/N) skidded to halt, letting Emerald run past him, as he glanced back to see the farm hand draw the cane.
"She'll just keep coming after us."
Oscar ran back inside. (Y/N) wanted to follow, but Jaune grabbed him, forcing back towards the others. As they caught up, Yang looked around.
"Where's Oscar?"
"He went back." Jaune stated. "We have to keep moving!"
"But what about-," (Y/N)'s words died as he felt a surge of energy. "GET DOWN!"
They all dropped to the floor as a brilliant light engulfed them. By the time (Y/N) regained his sight, the whale was in pieces, Grimm particles fluttering in the wind, yet they were completely unharmed. Glancing up, he noticed a field around them, glowing a brownish tint. His head suddenly ached as he felt his Aura give out and the barrier shattered. He recognized the familiar feeling of him overtaxing his Semblance. He must have activated it by accident, but which charm did he use? None of them put up force fields. As he staggered to his feet, he felt something fall from the back of his shirt. Looking down, he saw a small ring embedded with a pearl. Picking it up, he saw something engraved into it.
To Gretchen, from your big brother Hazel.
He sighed, clutching the ring tightly.
"Thank you, Hazel."

You all should know I practically feed on trauma. I figured it would be fine since both Hazel and the Hound are dead now, so...