Chapter 10: Fall and the Beginning

I own nothing
Chapter 10: It Begins
(Y/N) decided to take a late evening stroll around the dorms to get his blood pumping for the final round. He was super excited to see his big sister kick butt in the finals and he could barely keep himself from bouncing about. As he walked, he caught sight of a familiar plume of red hair. He smiled and ran to catch up to the figure.
"Pyrrha!" He cheered as he jumped on her. She shrieked in surprised and they were both sent tumbling. (Y/N) laughed before getting off her.
"I got you!" The older girl smiled, though it was off to the boy.
"You certainly did," (Y/N) tilted his head, not liking the melancholy tone in her voice.
"What's wrong?" She perked up a bit.
"Oh nothing's wrong (Y/N)! Everything is fine!" He pouted before switching to soul vision. He could feel the conflicting emotions even before his vision refocused.
"You're lying, something's upsetting you!"
"(Y/N), I thought we talked about using soul vision on someone without their permission,"
"Your dodging the question. What's got you confused Pyrrha?" She sighed before ruffling his hair.
"It's...complicated. I don't think you'd understand," He crossed his arms.
"I could try! I'm not a baby!" Pyrrha laughed a bit.
"No, you're not. I had a talk with Professor Ozpin is all,"
"I talk to Professor Ozpin all the time. It's nothing to worry about," she suddenly brought him in for a hug. He couldn't have known the situation with Maidens and all that, but Pyrrha did find comfort in his presence.
"This was different from your talks with Ozpin, (Y/N). This one was about my future, about destiny," (Y/N) tilted his head. What was she talking about? Why was Ozpin talking to her about stuff like that? "(Y/N)? I have an important question to ask you,"
"What is it Pyrrha?" She gave him a serious look.
"Do you believe in destiny?" He shifted on his feet, unsure how to answer. He had read enough fantasy stories with Blake to know what the concept was, but he wasn't sure if he believed that to a fault. After a minute he answered.
"Well, I know that right when I was about to be eaten by a Nevermore, Team RWBY saved me, brought me here, and became my family. Isn't that destiny?" Pyrrha looked crestfallen, but nodded.
"Right, of course it was,"
"But...I also know that I wouldn't have been attacked by a Nevermore if I hadn't tried to escape the dark place," he felt a shiver creep up his spine as he remembered his former prison. He struggled with the memories, but he pushed forward. He had a feeling Pyrrha needed to hear this. "When those men attacked, all the other kids stayed put while I ran, and they all died. I choose to run, and that's what brought me here. If I had left it up to chance, I probably would've ended up like the others. So, I think destiny is part chance, but also part our actions. We have to choose a road to take before anything can happen," Pyrrha stared at him in wonder, surprised by the answer he had come to. Her face broke out into a grin as she hugged him again.
"You know (Y/N), you are much wiser than you let on,"
"I am?"
"Yes you are. You've given me something to think about," She kissed him on the head and pushed him back towards his room. "It's almost time. I think Yang will need you to help her get ready for the fight,"
"Alright I guess," he began to walk back, only to stop and turn around. "Pyrrha, are you sure you're okay now?" She smiled and nodded.
"Don't worry sweetie, I'm fine,"
With one last glance, (Y/N) dragged his tail back to the dorms. She was lying again.
(Timeskip)
((So...the entire fight was just too painful for me to describe in this, so I'm just gonna describe the aftermath. Sorry guys.))
(Y/N) curled up besides a stunned Yang, unable to even begin to figure out what to say. Why had everything gone so wrong so quickly? It had started off great, Yang was the first picked for the final round and her opponent was Mercury. (Y/N) had been so psyched to see her knock the annoying male down a few pegs! The fight proceeded as normal. Mercury was a fierce opponent, (Y/N) would give him that, but he was no match for Yang's semblance, which ended up winning her the match.
Then it happened.
Mercury got up to shake hands with Yang, and she broke his leg. Everyone was stunned and Yang seemed equally as confused when a group of androids surrounded her, weapons at the ready. (Y/N) could only sit there and watch it absolutely astonishment. Sure he hated Mercury, the older boy was an egotistical jerk, but he didn't deserve that. And Yang? (Y/N) knew something was wrong. Yang would never do that to a defeated opponent who admitted defeat. It was all a blur from there. He could vaguely remember Emerald rushing out to help her teammate and Blake carrying him to the dorm. Now they were all in here with General Ironwood, trying to plead for Yang, who insisted she saw Mercury trying to attack her.
"I'm sorry," the General said as he lectured them. "But you've left us with no choice,"
"But he attacked me!" Yang tried to insist.
"Video footage and millions of viewers say otherwise,"
"But Yang would never do that," Weiss defended her teammate.
"Yeah!" Ruby agreed. The General sighed.
"You all seem like good students. And the staff here at Beacon are fully aware you would never last out the way you did. Under normal circumstances. But I believe, and I hope this to be, nothing more than the result of stress and adrenaline. When you're out on the battlefield, your judgement can become clouded in an instant. Sometimes, you see things that simply aren't there. Even after the fight has passed,"
"But I wasn't-," he cut Yang off.
"That's ENOUGH!" (Y/N) curled closer to Yang in fear. He didn't like this at all. Ironwood continued.
"The sad truth is whether it was an accident, or an assault, it doesn't matter. The world saw you attack an innocent student. They've already drawn their own conclusions. And it is my job to inform you that you're disqualified," Yang looked down, heartbroken. (Y/N) felt his own heart crack at the sight of her so sad. As he saw the General begin to leave, he panicked. He needed to say something, anything to make Ironwood believe Yang, and he choose a very shocking statement.
"Maybe not as innocent as you think," Everyone stared at him in stunned silence. Ironwood looked over his shoulder and (Y/N) refused to meet his gaze.
"What did you say?"
"I said, he's 'maybe not as innocent as you think'," Ironwood turn to him.
"Young man, just because you have issue with his personality does not mean-," (Y/N) dug deep for courage and barked back.
"It's not his personality! It's his soul!" Ruby touched his shoulder.
"What are you talking about (Y/N)?"
"There's something...not right about it! I see it and...I get this bad feeling in my stomach!" It wasn't a complete lie. There had always been something wrong with Mercury, not as much as Cinder, but still bad. Unfortunately, and he hated to admit, he had also started to get this feeling around Emerald and whenever he thought of Neo.
"Why didn't you tell us?" Blake asked him.
"I-I don't know! I can't explain why I have the bad feeling, I just do! It's not something I can control!" Ironwood rubbed his temples. Ozpin had been telling him about (Y/N)'s progressing abilities, so he knew he couldn't exactly dismiss (Y/N)'s claim about something being wrong with Mercury. On the other hand, he was an 8 year old, former orphan who'd likely do anything to protect the new family he just found. James felt frustrated and annoyed, but not angered. He marched up to (Y/N) and looked him right in the eyes.
"(Y/N), lying isn't going to help anyone," (Y/N) held his gaze proudly.
"I'm not lying!" The two kept up their staring match until the general decided to head out the door without another word. (Y/N) let out an internal sigh of relief that that was over. Yang looked at her friends sadly.
"You've guys believe me...right?"
"Duh!" Ruby stated. Weiss added to it.
"You're hotheaded, but not ruthless,"
"Yeah, there's gotta be something else to this!" (Y/N) agreed before everyone looked over to Blake, who was eerily quiet.
"Blake?" Yang asked. The cat faunus did not meet her gaze.
"I want to believe you,"
"What's that supposed to mean?" Weiss inquired as Yang had tears in her eyes.
"Blake?"
"How can you say something like that?!" (Y/N) yelled at her, for once in life becoming angry with one of his caretakers. Blake let out a deep breath.
"I had someone very dear to me change. It wasn't in an instant, it was gradual...little choices that began to pile up. He told me not worry. At first, they were accidents, then it was self-defense. Before long, even I began to think he was right. This is all just...very...familiar...but you're not him. And you've never done anything like this before. So, I want to trust you. I WILL trust you. But first, I need you to look me in the eyes and tell me he attacked you. I need you to promise me you regret having to do what you did," Yang sniffled and brushed the tears away.
"I saw him attack me. So I attacked back," Blake nodded and gave a small smile.
"Okay, thank you,"
"I think I'm gonna rest up," Yang said tiredly. The others got up to leave but (Y/N) stayed put. He pushed his head into her arm and Yang hugged him. The others left and Yang sat with (Y/N) there to comfort her.
"(Y/N)?"
"Yeah Yang?"
"Did you really see something wrong with Mercury?" He averted his gaze.
"Well, maybe not during the fight, but I know something's wrong with him! And I just couldn't stand General Ironwood talking to you like that. I just wanted him to shut up!"
"I wouldn't mind shutting up Jimmy myself most of the time," a voice cut in. (Y/N) saw Qrow standing by the door. He had been so quiet, not even the boy had heard him come in. "Hey firecracker,"
"Hey Qrow," Yang halfheartedly greeted.
"So...why'd you do it?"
"You know why,"
"All I know is that you attacked a helpless kid. So either you're lying, or you're crazy,"
"Neither!" (Y/N) growled at him.
"I'm NOT lying," Yang insisted.
"Hm, crazy. Got it," He began to walk around the room as Yang looked away.
"Who knows? Maybe I am," Qrow marched over to them.
"And here I thought your dark haired friend was the emo one," As he began to walk away again, Yang stopped him.
"I saw my mom," Qrow stopped in tracks and (Y/N) looked at Yang. He had heard slivers of fragments of Yang's mom, but nothing else. "I-I was in a lot of trouble. Took a pretty hard hit. But when I came to, the person attacking me was gone. And I thought I saw...her. Her sword, like the one in you and dad's old picture,"
"Tch. You're not crazy, Yang. That was your mom alright. Let me guess. She didn't say a word did she?"
"How did you know that?"
"I don't see my sister very often, but she does try to keep in touch. Whenever it suits her,"
"Wait, you mean you talked to her? That was real!?"
"Yeah, she found me. Had a tip for my most recent assignment, and wanted me to give you a message,"
"Why didn't you tell me sooner!?" Qrow gazed out the window, and for a minute, (Y/N) had a hard time wondering whether or not he was lying.
"I was trying to wait for the right time, and this sure ain't it. But I guess you deserve to know. She wanted me to tell you that she saved you once, but that you shouldn't expect that kindness again," (Y/N) eyes widened. The last and only memory of his mom alive that he had was her going back to help his dad and telling him to run. He couldn't imagine a mom outside of that, but (Y/N) knew better than most how different people can be.
"Raven's got an interesting way of looking at the world that I don't particularly agree with," Qrow explained. "And she's dangerous. But your a tough egg, kiddo. Shouldn't let this tournament thing get you down. You had a slip-up. Sometimes bad things just happen. I say it's time you move on,"
"Move on to what?"
"Well, Raven let some info slip before she took off. If you ever want to track her down, I think I might be able to help," Yang was silent. Qrow stayed for a long time before heading towards the door. (Y/N) got up and followed him. He smiled back at Yang.
"I'm gonna get us something to eat," She nodded at him emotionlessly.
"Yeah, thanks (Y/N)," he walked out and joined Qrow. The little dragon let out a sigh and looked up at the older man.
"You're bad at pep talks," Qrow raised a brow at him.
"And last time I checked, you were supposed to be bad with strangers," (Y/N) smiled and rolled his eyes.
"You're their uncle, why should I be afraid of you?" Qrow smirked at him.
"Oh, so you do have some fire in you," he leaned on the wall next to the boy. "So level with me (Y/N), is there something wrong with that other kid or were you just trying to protect my niece?"
"Would you believe me either way?"
"Guess not. Hey kid, keep looking out for them, okay?"
"Don't worry, I plan to," (Y/N) walked down the halls towards the cafeteria. He ignored the few glances he received and started picking out some fruits and some stuff Yang would like.
"Hey (Y/N)!" Someone greet. (Y/N) turned around and smiled, seeing Coco approach him.
"Hey Coco!"
"How's Yang doing?"
"As good as she can be I guess. I'm just bringing her something to eat," Coco pinched his cheeks.
"Well, aren't you the sweetest!"
"Stooop," he groaned before pulling away. Coco sighed.
"Well I think people need to mind their business. They don't know what it's like on the battlefield," (Y/N) smiled.
"Good to know some else thinks so,"
"Seeing things on the battlefield happens. It happened to me, it happened to Yang, it can happen to anyone,"
"Wait, it happened to you?" Coco rubbed the back of her head in embarrassment.
"Yeah, during our fight with Emerald and Mercury, I thought I saw Yatsuhashi in the forest with me, but he never made it outside the geyser field,"
"And you were fighting Emerald and Mercury?" Coco nodded.
"Yep. This stuff just happens (Y/N), all we can do is try to move on and learn from it,"
"Yeah..." Coco patted him on the head.
"Well, I'm gonna go join my team and watch the finals. You take good care of Yang for us," he smiled nodded.
"I will, promise," As Coco left, (Y/N) made a slow trek back to their room, thinking about what Coco had said. It seem so weird. Coco and Yang hallucinating, and the common factor was Emerald and Mercury. It was a coincidence right? Just tricks of the mind like Coco said, but   (Y/N) couldn't escape his dreaded gut instinct about something being wrong about all this. But how would Emerald and Mercury pull it off anyways? They'd have to fool a live crowd and a broadcasted crowd. There was no way to do that...unless, they didn't need to. (Y/N) thought back to Yang insisting that Mercury tried to attack her. Maybe...maybe they hadn't fooled the crowd, just one person. It would explain things. Come to think of it, no one actually knew Mercury or Emerald's semblances. Sure, plenty of combatants hadn't revealed their semblances, and (Y/N) had figured they both had non combat or passive abilities, but he had never asked. He knew semblances could theoretically be anything, so exactly how far out in the realm of possibility would it be to say one had a semblance that could cause hallucinations? (Y/N) shook his head. He shouldn't be thinking these things. Emerald was his friend and Mercury was just a jerk...right? His thoughts switched to Cinder. He knew something was deeply wrong about her, worse than Mercury. They were all teammates, so if there was something up with her, Emerald and Mercury would know. (Y/N) wanted to ignore it, just discard this whole mess as something his mind complied to protect Yang, but the more he thought about it, and the more times he saw Yang's crying face flash in his mind, he more he knew what had to be done. He had reached the dorm after a long time since he was walking so slowly. He put down the tray in front of the door and knocked before running down the halls towards Ozpin's office. He had to tell Ozpin about Cinder, now. He raced towards the elevator, only to see Qrow standing there. The ravennette stopped him in his tracks.
"Woah, little dragon. Where do you think you're going?"
"I need to talk to Ozpin!" Qrow picked him up with one arm.
"Oz is a bit busy right now. You can tell him later," (Y/N) struggled to break free.
"No I can't! This is important!"
"(Y/N) come on, what could it-,"
"I think Yang was set up!" Qrow stopped and set him down. He knelt down to his eye level p.
"What do you mean 'set up'?" (Y/N) rapidly explained every to the man, about his bad feelings, Cinder's soul, Coco's story, everything. When he finished, he was heaving for breath and Qrow was contemplating everything.
"(Y/N), go back to Yang," the boy stomped his foot.
"But I have to-,"
"I'll tell Oz, you go back,"
"Y-you will?" Qrow nodded.
"You seem like a smart kid, dragon boy. Considering the high hopes Oz has for you, I assume this isn't something you'd make up just to protect Yang," (Y/N) nodded fiercely. "Then if you are telling the truth, I'd prefer if you were with my niece. Move along, I'll make sure Oz gets your message," (Y/N) looked uncertain. He felt he needed to tell Ozpin himself, but Qrow wasn't budging. Drooping in submission, he nodded.
"Fine," he dragged himself back to their room and walked inside to see Yang watching the fight between Pyrrha and Penny.
Just in time to watch Pyrrha destroy Penny.