Chapter 16 (Y): Known by its Song

I own nothing
Chapter 16: A Rocky Reunion
(Y/N) stuck close to Yang as they entered the bandit camp, flanked either side by members they had throughly pounded not ten minutes ago. The suspicious whispers put the boy more on edge as he subconsciously moved closer to his sister. Yang glanced around the camp. Everyone was armed to the teeth and glaring at them or rushing over to see them. They all gathered around a large tent at the back, one clearly meant for the leader. Within moments, a woman with black hair and wearing a Grimm mask stepped out. Yang put a hand on her hip.
"Mom," she said unenthusiastically. The woman took off her mask, and (Y/N) was stunned at how similar she looked to Yang. If her eyes and hair where the same color, he would've mistaken them as twins, not mother and daughter. Raven smiled at her daughter.
"Yang," she greeted. "So, after all this time, you finally decided to visit me," Yang's arm shook, whether it was from rage or another episode, (Y/N) couldn't be sure. He moved to comfort her, but older girl called him off, keeping her gaze with her mother as she spoke.
"You know that I searched for you. I spent years looking for you,"
"And you found me," Raven dismissed without a second thought. (Y/N) curled his lip in annoyance. "You were patient, determined, and strong enough to make your dream a reality. Well done Yang. But did you and your friend have to be so rough with my men?"
"Brother," Yang corrected. "And we didn't want a fight, they started it,"
"It's not our fault we handed them their butts," (Y/N) grumbled. Raven glanced at the boy, slightly impressed. (Y/N) quickly crossed his arms and stopped talking.
"Well you two certainly finished it," there was an awkward silence as Yang stared at her mother, unimpressed. Raven once again looked at the boy.
"So, a brother. I don't recall giving birth to this one, but he certainly fits his name," (Y/N)'s tail twitched slightly as Raven looked him over. "But I suppose he must be family, he takes to fighting Grimm and men so well," (Y/N) was confused, he hadn't fought a Grimm since entering the forest, so how did Raven know how well he matched up to them? She didn't elaborate and instead went back to addressing her daughter. "Right, I'm sure this is all very overwhelming, but I must admit you've proven yourself, so any questions you have, I'll be happy to answer. You both can stay with us tonight, I'll even have the cooks whip up something for you,"
"That's not why we're here," Yang interjected as the wind slightly picked up. As it did, (Y/N) smelled something familiar, which was odd. He couldn't put his finger on it, but this was a scent he knew all too well. He glanced curiously in the direction the wind had come from while everyone was focused on Yang and Raven, who didn't appreciate her daughter's sass.
"What was that?"
"I'm not here for you. Ruby is somewhere in Mistral. She's with Qrow, and she's going to need m-our help. We just need you to take us to her,"
"And why would I do that?" Raven asked.
"Because we're family," Yang shot back. The older woman grumbled.
"Family. Only coming around when they need something. I have to say I'm disappointed, after all you found me didn't you? Why not take that drive and use it to find your little sister if she really means that much to you?"
"Because you're going to save us time. Ruby was headed to Mistral, but there's no guarantee she's made it there. Looking for her in Anima could take ages, but, dad told me how your semblance works," Yang said with a smirk.
"Tai," Raven said under her breath.
"You can bond with certain people, and when you do, you could create a portal that takes you straight to them. You've got one for dad, one for me, and you've got one for Qrow. He promised me he'd watch out for Ruby before he left, and I trust him. So, make a portal to my uncle and sister, and we'll be on our way,"
"You know, it takes real strength to march in here and demand such a favor of me, I've got to say, I'm impressed. It's very noble to want to help out your sister, but if she's with Qrow, then she's already a lost cause,"
"What does that mean?" Yang demanded.
"You don't want to get mixed up in all of that Yang. Ozpin is not the man you think he is, and Qrow is a fool for trusting him. I would know, I trusted him once, too,"
"I don't care what you think," Yang snapped, rattling the bandits a bit.
"Your choice is your own. All I'm suggesting is that instead of getting wrapped up in something too big for you, and needlessly throwing the little one's life away, that maybe you take a moment to wonder if you're already where you belong,"
"Save your breath. You can spout out whatever you want, but nothing is going to keep us from our sister,"
"Well aren't you stubborn?"
"I get it from my mom," Raven moved to walk away.
"Well if that's how you feel, then it sounds like we're done here. Take her away,"
"Did you not hear me?" Yang growled, her temper flaring as her eyes turned crimson. "I said send us to Qrow, damn it!"
"GET AWAY FROM THERE BRAT!" Someone suddenly yelled. Yang whipped her head around to see a woman charge (Y/N). While everyone had been focused on her argument with her mother, the little dragon had crept curiously towards something covered. His hand had been an inch away before Vernal had finally took noticed of him.
"(Y/N)!" Yang called out as the bandit swung a blade at him. (Y/N) had been quick to react, switching his gauntlets to blade mode to block the oncoming attack. Vernal gritted her teeth as she pushed the rapier closer towards him, not expecting this much resistance from a child.    (Y/N) stood his ground and pushed back, but his eyes widened as he caught sight of the blade and realized: he knew that weapon.
"Where did you get that sword?!" He demanded. When Vernal didn't answer, he pushed himself off with his tail, forcing the bandit back as he slammed his fist where she had been. Vernal moved to attack again, but (Y/N) flew backwards, closer to his sister. The gust of wind he had kicked up, not only temporarily blinded Vernal, but had been just enough to move the sheets covering the crates so that gravity could pull them down. To the surprise of the two Xiao Longs, Weiss was revealed, trapped with a cage. The Schnee stared at them in disbelief.
"Yang? (Y/N)?"
"Weiss?" Yang asked in shock as Weiss muttered something to herself. In the next second, a giant knight appeared and shattered the cage. Weiss quickly scurried towards the two, the knight hot on her heels, as the all faced the crowd.
"What is that?" Yang asked.
"Don't worry about it? What are you two doing here?"
"Well that's Yang's mom and she can take us to Ruby," (Y/N) explained.
"Your mom kidnapped me?!" Weiss yelled, looking at Yang, who's eyes widened as she glared at her mother.
"You kidnapped her!?" The bandits grew angrier and began to charge. The trio ran to meet them, only for a bolt of lightning to stop them dead in their tracks.
"Enough!" Vernal yelled. Everyone glanced back at her.
"Thank you," Raven said. "If you people don't keep it together, this place will be crawling with Grimm. Give the girl her weapon back," Vernal looked back at her shocked, before nodding and tossing the blade to Weiss. Raven glanced at them. "You three. In my tent. Now,"
"Why?" Yang demanded. Raven narrowed her eyes.
"If you're really going after your sister, then you need to know the truth," like that, she walked into her tent while the bandits dispersed. Yang then went to apologize to Weiss.
"Sorry about-," Weiss cut her off by jumping into a hug with her, crying a bit.
"I missed you so much!" Yang smiled and returned the hug.
"I missed you too," (Y/N) tugged on Weiss clothes, pouting.
"Hey, where's my hug?" Weiss laughed and pulled him in. (Y/N) clung to her tightly, almost crying."I missed you Weiss,"
"And I missed you so much (Y/N)!" She held him at a distance to get a good look at him. "When did you get so big? Your taller, and your horns are bigger!" He rubbed the back of his head.
"It has been a while. I've gotten a lot better at fighting too," Weiss laughed and hugged him again.
"I can tell,"
"If you're done," Vernal butted in. "Inside. Now," (Y/N) stuck his tongue out at her, annoyed.
"Buzzkill,"
(Timeskip)
The trio sat in front of a low table as Vernal poured tea out for them. (Y/N) frowned, thinking about Blake as Raven nodded to her lieutenant.
"You can wait outside. Thank you," the subordinate put down the kettle and walked out as Raven began to drink.
"So what's the truth?" Yang asked. Raven stopped.
"You know, it's better when it's hot," she joked.
"You know, you're really obnoxious," Weiss retorted.
"You know I expected that kind of behavior from his," Raven motioned towards (Y/N), who was sipping the tea. Noticing he was being glanced at, he quickly put the cup down. Raven glanced back up to the older girls. "The truth is, the "truth" is hard to come by. A story of victory for one person is a story of defeat for someone else. By now, your uncle has surely told Ruby and her friends plenty of stories,"
"Well he's never given me a reason to doubt him before," Yang said, crossing her arms.
"That doesn't mean those reasons don't exist," Raven retorted. "You know, you and your teammates might as well be the poster children for Huntsman academies. Your motives vary, but you all enrolled to try and make the world a better place. It's adorable,"
"It's what Huntsmen and Huntresses do," Yang argued.
"Not all of them. Some people are just in it for the money and the fame, but there's even more that are just looking to grow stronger. Your Uncle Qrow and I didn't attend Beacon to become Huntsmen, we did it to learn how to kill Huntsmen," (Y/N) gulped as the girls gasped and looked at each other. "Daddy and Uncle left that part out, hm? Aside from the Grimm, Huntsmen were the only ones capable of ruining our raids and hunting us down. Our tribe needed a counterforce, and Qrow and I were the perfect age. The entrance exams were child's play compared to what we'd already been through. We were good, so good that we caught the attention of Beacon's very own headmaster, Professor Ozpin," As Raven stood up to pace away, (Y/N) tried to check to see if she was telling the truth, but as soon as he used his soul vision on Raven, he got a splitting headache. He couldn't see her soul well and thus couldn't discern the truth from her. This hadn't happen since Ozpin when he first unlocked the skill, but he was perfectly capable of using this power now, it was the easiest to master. Was something else interfering?
"Even after we were put on a team, I could tell he was keeping his eye on us. Back then, I thought it was because he knew, but it was Team STRQ he was interested in,"
"What do you mean by that?"
"Constant attention, extra training missions, turning a blind eye whenever we happened to break the rules and get into more trouble than we should've. Sound familiar?" The trio glanced at each other before Yang looked back at her mom.
"What's your point?"
"How much do you know about Professor Ozpin? About his past?"
"He was...a prodigy," Weiss answered. "One of the youngest headmasters to be appointed to a school,"
"Because that's how he planned it. Because the man you know as Ozpin designed those schools and has followers inside every academy on Remnant that are loyal to him and no one else,"
"That doesn't make any sense!"
"Ozpin might be old, but not that old," (Y/N) pipped up.
"Why would someone even do that?" Yang asked.
"Because old man Oz has a great and terrible secret. One that could spread fear across the world. One that he eventually entrusted to our team, and once I knew, there was no going back. I needed to know more, but with every new discovery I made, the more horrifying the world became,"
"Okay, then tell us," Yang challenged. "What's the big secret? What's so crazy that the rest of us don't know?"
"The creatures of Grimm...have a master name Salem. She can't be stopped, she can't be reasoned with, and she will not rest until humanity crumbles at her feet," the group froze in shock. Only Weiss was able to respond.
"What?" Raven turned back to them.
"You know you two haven't even touched your tea," she said, taking another drink. Yang stood up.
"Why should we believe any of this?"
"Now you're catching on. So far, you've done nothing but accept what others tell you, but you need to question everything, otherwise you'll end up just as blind as Qrow," Yang was gritting her teeth by the time Raven made her last remark. "Or your fool of a father," Yang smashed the table, (Y/N) barely having enough time to scramble away.
"Don't you dare talk about my family like that!"
"You need to calm down," Vernal said, entering the room and aiming her weapon at the blonde. (Y/N) growled at pointed his own weapon at her.
"Don't you threaten my sister!" Weiss quickly grabbed both of them.
"Yang, (Y/N), please,"
"Listen to your friend, you two. Your teammates never let you down before,"
"You don't know the first thing about my teammates!" Yang yelled. "About me! You were never there! You left us! Why?" Her head fell as Raven continued.
"I know more than you realize. Not just about you, and not just what I've been told, but things I've seen with my own eyes. I know the Grimm have a leader, I know people who can come back from the dead, I know that magic is real and I can prove it," (Y/N)'s eyes widened.
"Did you say magic?" She smirked at him.
"Is it really that shocking. You're part dragon with countless powers, where do you think they come from?" She looked back at Yang. "You said Tai told you all about my semblance," She walked towards the back entrance of the tent. "Well I doubt he ever told you what Oz did to my brother and me," she walked out. The trio was hesitant to follow before Vernal gave them a push.
"Go see for yourself," they ran out, but Raven was nowhere in sight.
"Mom?" Yang called out.
"Yang, are you okay?" Weiss asked.
"I'll be fine once we can get her to take us to Ruby,"
"It's okay if...you're not okay,"
"You didn't believe what she said, right?"
"I...of course not. She was lying for the most part, right (Y/N)?" The boy whence, embarrassed.
"Maybe?"
"Maybe?" Yang asked. "Didn't you soul check her?"
"Of course I did, but for some reason, I couldn't see her soul. I-it's weirds, it's never done that before!"
"You're probably just tired sweetie," Weiss assured. "Besides, there is no such thing as magic," a raven's cawing  butted in as the bird swooped by.
"A raven?" Weiss asked.
"I've seen that bird before,"
"Maybe it belongs to your mom?" The bird dove at them, and right before their eyes, transformed into Raven. Their eyes widened in disbelief, and (Y/N) jaw hug open.
"Okay, I believe,"
"How...did you do that?" Yang asked. Her mom smirked.
"Well, I could explain it to you..." she drew her sword and a massive portal opened behind her. "Or you could ask your uncle,"
"You're letting us go?"
"I'm giving you a choice. Stay here, with me, and I'll answer all of your questions and more. We can have a fresh start, or," she stepped aside. "You can go back to Qrow and join Ozpin's impossible war against Salem, and meet the same fate as so many others. But can you really go back to trusting someone that's kept so much from you?" Weiss and (Y/N) glanced at Yang, who stood her ground.
"All I care about is making sure my sister is safe," Raven scoffed, but said nothing as Yang and Weiss went to get Bumblebee. (Y/N) stood there awkwardly as Raven examined him.
"I suppose you're just fine being tugged along so long as your sisters are around,"
"Well, yeah. I don't really have anywhere else I can be," Raven rolled her eyes.
"I guess I can't blame. You're too young to fully understand the severity of the situation," (Y/N) narrowed his eyes at her. "Let me give you some advise though (Y/N): there's a reason why dragons are so rare in Remnant,"
"Salem?"
"I'm just saying, for creatures so powerful to be so few, someone must be hunting them down. Just keep that in mind," (Y/N) crossed his arms.
"You know, I'm pretty good at reading people, but for whatever reason, my sight doesn't work on you. I wonder why?" Raven glared at him.
"What of it?"
"It's just, the only other person my vision failed against was Ozpin. Funny isn't it? Something you want confess?" Raven shook her head.
"Maybe you are smart enough to understand. I'd watch your back, there is such a thing as being too smart for your own good,"
"I'll take my chances with my family,"
The girls returned and all three got on the bike. Raven gave one last warning.
"If you side with your uncle, I may not be as kind the next time we meet,"
"You weren't kind this time either," Yang shot before driving through the portal. The next moment, they appeared before a very shocked and confused Qrow.
"Oh," he said.
"Hi Qrow!" (Y/N) greeted as Yang got off the bike and hugged him. He smiled.
"Hey firecracker, feeling better?"
"Yeah, I am,"
(Timeskip)
Qrow led the trio back to the house.
"I'm back!" The man called.
"Be right there!" Ruby responded.
"Hey, uh, Ruby?"
"I'm coming!" Ruby walked into the living room holding a tea tray, not looking up. "So, we didn't know how many people were coming, so we just cooked all of it" when she finally looked up and saw them, she gasped and dropped the set, letting it shatter on the floor. Yang stepped forward.
"Yang, I...I'm so sorry! I-I should've stayed, and I should've talked to you more! I'd-I just...I wasn't sure you wanted me around and-," Yang cut her off by hugging her as the two began to cry.
"I love you," Ruby sobbed and hugged back.
"I love you too," Weiss and (Y/N) smiled at the scene as the rest of Team RNJR and a new boy walked in.
"Weiss? (Y/N)?" Ruby called as Yang and her opened their arms. The two immediately ran into them.
"It's great to see you Ruby," (Y/N) said happily.
"I'm glad you're here too (Y/N)," she said, giving a little extra love to her brother before pouting. "Hey, you got taller. You're not allowed to do that!" They laughed before they went over to greet Jaune, Ren, and Nora (Nora nearly crushed (Y/N) in a hug before fawning over how big he had gotten and his new gear). During this, (Y/N) caught sight of the strange boy. Oscar noticed his stares.
"Oh hi," he greeted. "You're (Y/N). Your sister told me a lot about you?" (Y/N) just stared at him in confusion. Oscar felt a little uncomfortable with the gaze.
"Um, is something wrong?"
"...Ozpin?" (Y/N) asked as everyone stared at him in disbelief.