Christmas Special #1

...so this happened way sooner than I thought, but once the story was suggested to me, I couldn't help writing it down.
Thank you to xX_RAGNAROK125_Xx for this adorable suggestion that was all too cute to pass up. For context, let's just pretend the fall didn't happen in the current year. A very Merry Christmas to all my readers. Thanks for your support
A Very Remnant Winter
Winter had returned to Remnant in all of its icy beauty. Vale was coated in a white blanket that seemed to shimmer. Beacon itself had a calm lull settled over it. With Vytal Tournament over, now was the time to rest and recharge. In the dorms, a certain dragon faunus stared in amazement out the window, seeing the once autumn land transformed. He bounded over to Yang and began shaking her.
"Yang! Wake up! Everything's white now!" The blonde groaned.
"It's just snow (Y/N)," she rolled over as he stopped shaking her.
"Snow?" Weiss, woken up by his shouts, got up.
"Have you never seen snow before (Y/N)?" He shook his head.
"No," Ruby suddenly bounded from her bed and began spinning him.
"Well we're gonna teach you all about the fun of snow then!" Blake threw a pillow at them.
"Too early,"
(Timeskip)
After finally dragging the B and Y of team RWBY out of bed and making sure everyone was properly bundled, the girls led (Y/N) outside. He scooped up a handful of snow and threw it into the air.
"It's so cold!" He yelled happily as he began huffing air to see his breathe. Since his breathe was naturally hotter due to his fire breathing, it made his look like he was breathing mist.
"Well it is frozen water," Weiss informed him before Yang suddenly hopped down on the ground and began moving her arms and legs.
"Look (Y/N)! Snow angels!" He smiled as he noticed that her outline did look like an angel.
"Oh! Me too! Me too!" He dropped next to her and began copying her before Ruby joined them.
"Hey guys!" Someone called. Popping his head up, (Y/N) saw team JNPR walking towards them in winter wear. Nora's eyes widened.
"Are you making snow angels?! I'll join!" Nora charged in her usual fashion and Ruby and Yang bolted out of the way, Ruby scooping up (Y/N) right before Nora belly flopped into the snow.
"Hello everyone" Pyrrha greeted. "Enjoying the weather?"
"Yes," Blake answered. "(Y/N)'s never seen snow before so we decided to give him a snow day,"
"Really?" Jaune perked up. "Well do you know the best part about a snow day (Y/N)?"
"What?"
"Let's build a snowman!"
(Timeskip)
Ren demonstrated to (Y/N) the proper technique of rolling up the balls for the snowman's body while the others gathered the accessories. Ruby and Weiss gathers some twigs for the arms, Pyrrha and Jaune found some stones for the eyes and buttons, Blake and Yang gave it a scarf, and Nora got a carrot for the nose.
"That's a pretty nice snowman," Jaune said proudly.
"What are you kids up to?" Qrow asked while approaching them. The drunken uncle had "decided" to stay at Beacon over the winter. Something about it being too cold to die to a Grimm elsewhere and his drinks freezing.
"Hey uncle Qrow!" Ruby waved. "We're making snowmen!" He smiled.
"You girls used to love doing that. I remember the time I convince you to make one indoors so it could live with us," Yang laughed.
"Oh yeah! Dad was so mad and you were too busy laughing,"
"Yeah, good times," (Y/N) tugged on Ruby's cape.
"Ruby, can we go take a walk in the forest?"
"Sure! Why don't we all go?" Qrow looked uncomfortable.
"Ugh, Ruby I don't think-," Pyrrha cut him off.
"That sounds like a lovely idea!"
"Yeah! We can go ice skating on one of the lakes!"
"Nora, we don't have skates,"
"That doesn't have to stop us Ren!" Yang picked up (Y/N) and put him on her shoulder.
"Well come on guys. You coming Uncle Qrow?" Qrow shook his head.
"Sorry firecracker, some other time," Ruby gave him sad puppy eyes.
"Aw, please Uncle Qrow?" His resolve shook a bit.
"Ruby, I-,"
"PLEEEEEAAAASSSEEE?" She begged before he sighed.
"Fine pipsqueak. Don't say I didn't warn you,"
"Alright! Let's get moving!"
(Timeskip)
The walk was calm and peaceful. (Y/N) was amazed at the sight of the frozen forest cover in snow and icicles hanging from the tree branches.
"It's like it's a completely different place!"
"You should see it in spring," Blake told him. "The flowers will be blooming and it will be very beautiful,"
Qrow lagged behind the kids, smiling as he saw them talking. He knew the dangers which laid ahead of them, but they deserved to be kids. Unfortunately, he was not far enough for he semblance not to effect them as a branch right above Yang and (Y/N) shook and coated the 2 in snow, much to everyone's amusement. (Y/N) was laughing but Yang turned to her uncle.
"Not cool Uncle Qrow," he raised his hands.
"Hey don't look at me, I didn't do anything!"
"Yeah right! You probably hit the branch with a rock!"
"I'm telling you, I did do-," Yang cut him off with a snowball right to the face. The dragon's eyes widened in shock as the blonde smirked. Qrow wiped the snow from his face.
"So that's how you want it," Yang put (Y/N) down.
"Bring it on old man!" A full on snowball war erupted between them, which somehow ended up as a three way brawl between team RWBY, team JNPR, and Qrow. (Y/N) joined in on the war with the girls and launched several balls, only to mostly hit Jaune who was getting hit from all angles. It was then a small orb caught his attention. It was silver and very misty. It kinda looked like a soul but (Y/N) hadn't activated his powers and this soul was a lot more faded than the usual ones. Even still, it was a mysterious glowing flying object and (Y/N) was still a 9 year old child. The orb flew off somewhere and (Y/N) trailed after it without his guardians noticing.
"Hey wait!" (Y/N) called out as he followed it deeper into the woods. Eventually he loss sight of it.
"Where did it go?" (Y/N) looked around hopefully but was discouraged when he couldn't find it.
"Darn! Oh well, better get back to-," he stopped as he realized he didn't know where he was. He called out.
"Ruby? Yang? Weiss? Blake? Anyone?" Silence only greeted him. "Uh oh," the wind suddenly picked up and (Y/N) huddled to keep warm. His wings were pinned under the layers of clothes so he couldn't wrap himself in them. He began walking half hazardously in hopes of finding the group. Back with the teams and Qrow, the weather had taken a turn for the worse as the wind began pelting them.
"We should go back," Pyrrha said, ending the snowball war. The others agreed and began to make the trek back when Ruby looked around her.
"Wait, where's (Y/N)?" The others looked in surprise when they realized the boy wasn't with them.
"(Y/N)?" Weiss called. Yang cried louder.
"(Y/N)!" Qrow growled.
"He must've wandered off. We better find him fast,"
The group called out and searched desperately as the storm only grew worse, to the point where they could not longer see very far.
"We have to find shelter!" Ren insisted. Weiss shook her head.
"Not without (Y/N)! He'll freeze to death in this cold!"
"(Y/N) WHERE ARE YOU!" Yang yelled desperately into the storm. A ways away, (Y/N) tumbled into a little cave, plunging out of the snow. By now it was a blizzard. He huffed small flames to keep himself warm and began crying. How could he do this again? This time there was no Neo or Penny to help him. He could actually die out here, and just when he had finally found another family!
"Ruby, Yang, everyone," he moaned as he began crying, waiting for the cold to claim him.
Only for it to suddenly not be so cold.
"Are you lost little one?"
He looked up and saw a woman cloaked in a pure white hood. He was certain this cave had been empty when he walked in, but that wasn't the concerning part. While her hood covered her, he could just barely make out very familiar looking silver eyes. Not only did this woman look near identical to Ruby, soul and appearance, she also gave off this comforting warmth with her kind smile that seem to drive away the snow. He shook his head, realizing he should answer her.
"I-I'm lost! I was chasing this ball of light and I got lost and the snow got worse all of a sudden! I don't know how to get back to my friends!" The woman's smile brightened as she sat down and pulled him into her lap, covering her in her hood. Normally strangers were intimidating to (Y/N), but this woman just seemed so familiar and she was so warm that he couldn't help cuddling into her hood.
"Well, I can't let you wander around in a blizzard, so how about we wait for the storm to pass and I'll take you back," (Y/N) nodded happily, not catching that she said she would take him back and not that she would help him find his friends. Time passed slowly as the blizzard roared. The woman began telling (Y/N) stories to keep his mind off things. He recognized them. They were the same fairy tales Yang and Ruby would tell him before bed and he happily helped the woman finish each of the stories. By the end of the storm, they were both laughing. The silver eyed lady looked out of the cave.
"Well the blizzard's over, but it's dusk. We should probably get you back to your family," she stood up and opened her hand for him to take. He gratefully accepted it and followed her though the woods.
"So what are you doing here Miss?"
"Oh, just enjoying the winter day,"
"Yeah, me and my friends were too. But I was stupid and ran off," she chuckled.
"You know there's nothing wrong with being curious. You just need to control how you react to it," (Y/N) sighed.
"I know, but I can't help it! The world is so big and there are so many things to see and I feel like if I don't try to see every bit of it, I might as well be in that dark place!"
"Dark place?" (Y/N) bit his tongue. Why had he said that? He had rarely felt comfortable about talking about his past, but he had just nonchalantly told a stranger. His head drooped.
"Bad people killed my parents and took me to a bad place. I only got away a little while ago,"
"I see," the woman looked at him with sympathy, but he put on a smile.
"But it's fine, I have great friends now and a brand new family!" She smiled.
"Really? Tell me about them,"
"Well there's team RWBY. They're all kinda like my big sisters. Ruby's the leader and she's super fast and super fun and let's me eat a lot of sweets! Yang's her sister and she teaches me all about fight and stuff and she's always there to protect me! Weiss is really smart and teaches me about school stuff and usually lets me do whatever I want if I give her sad eyes. Blake's the one who usually keeps me from doing dumb stuff but she also teaches me about tea and reads to me a lot! She's also a faunus like me!"
"I see, it seems like you really love them!" He nodded vigorously.
"They're my family," he raised his wrist up to show her the bracelet the group and team JNPR had given to him at the Vytal Festival. "See this? Every charm represents my friends, and every time I look at it, I remember I'm not alone and I feel safe!" The woman grinned.
"That's a wonderful feeling to have. Tell me about the others then,"
For the rest of the trip, (Y/N) spoke about his many friends like team JNPR, Penny, Emerald, Sun and Neptune, and others. All the while, he didn't notice the woman knew exactly where to go despite him never telling her he was supposed to be at Beacon. Eventually they made in to the edges of the school's boundaries. He say his group huddling together, trying to come up with a plan to find him
"That's them over there! Yang!" He called out happily as he took a few steps forward before they turned and started racing towards him.
"Come on! I'll introduce you to them!"
"Take good care of my girls for me (Y/N)," he looked back at the woman, wondering how she knew his name if he had never told her, only to find she was gone with a few rose petals sitting where she stood, only to be blown away by the wind. He had little time be confused when her was yanked into a hug by Yang and the rest of team RWBY.
"(Y/N) you're ok!" Ruby cried as she kissed the top of his head.
"We were so worried," Weiss added.
"Don't you ever run off like that again!" Blake scolded. Qrow was the first to catch up with the group as he smiled down at the boy.
"You sure gave us a scare runt, don't go running off on your own like that or I don't think these girls will leave Remnant in one piece,"
"I won't," he said as Yang put him down. He stared back into the woods.
"Something wrong (Y/N)?" Yang asked. He frowned.
"The woman who helped me. She's gone. I didn't get to say thank you,"
(Timeskip)
Night fell and the group decided to have a little party complete with warm fuzzy pjs, cozy blankets, hot chocolate, and s'mores. Even Qrow was forced into the festivities by his nieces and taught the kids how to play poker. Towards the end of the night, (Y/N) tiredly curled up into a chair and gazed out the window while everyone played cards. Eventually, he caught sight of the silvery forms of two people. It was a familiar looking man and woman who looked at him with tearfully happy smiles. His eyes widened.
"Mama? Papa?" They waved at him.
"Hey runt," (Y/N) tore his eyes away from them for a split second to look at Qrow. When he turned back, they were gone. He frowned as the older man leaned against the chair.
"Good thing you're not still lost out there. You'd freeze to death out there right now," he yawned.
"Yeah," Qrow gave him a serious look.
"Seriously kid, don't pull a stunt like that again. The girls were scared witless looking for you,"
"I won't, I promise," he stared out window once more. "Hey Qrow,"
"Yeah kid?"
"They woman who brought me back, you saw her didn't you?"
"No kid, there was no one else there but you. You sure you didn't make it up?" (Y/N) weakly shook his head.
"No, she was there. She kept me warm during the blizzard, she told me stories, and she brought me back, but then she suddenly vanished before I could thank her. I didn't even get her name. It was weird though," he began getting very sleepy. "I couldn't really see her face, but I swear she looked just like Ruby," Qrow nearly chocked on his drink.
"What? Like Ruby?"
"Yeah, she had the silver eyes and everything. She was wearing a white hood though. She was so nice and... warm...like-,"
"Summer," Qrow finished with wide eyes. "(Y/N)-!" He was cut off by the boy's soft breathing. In less than a second, he was dead asleep. The drunk sighed but then gave a small smile before draping a blanket over him and ruffling his hair.
"Sleep tight (Y/N). You got a real guardian angel looking out for you,"