Chapter 14 (Y): Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back

I owe nothing
Chapter 14: It's Time
(Y/N) sat on the sidelines with Zwei as they watched Tai and Yang spar. Yang was getting comfortable with the new arm and was starting to get back into the swing of things. Tai was a fierce opponent, his hits were precise and his kicks were powerful, but Yang was eager to prove herself and knocked her dad back. He skidded across the ground and held his arm.
"Whoa, that thing packs a punch!"
"We've been around this for weeks!" Yang said. "I get it, you wanna make sure I can still fight," She slammed her fists together with a smirk. "I think I'm doing just fine,"
"You're close," Tai corrected.
"Oh really?"
"You're still of balance," Yang looked offended.
"What!? No I'm not!" Tai and (Y/N) chuckled while Yang looked down at her new arm. "Honestly, I'm kind of surprised. I thought it would just be this huge weight, but it feels...natural. They did a great job with this thing," Tai suddenly sucker punched her, starting the brawl again. (Y/N) winced as the 2 traded fast blows. Yang swept her leg at her dad before throwing a punch. Tai caught her fake arm and held it before jabbing his elbow at her face. Yang caught it as he smirked.
"I wasn't talking about your actual balance," He hooked her ankle and pulled her leg out from under her, causing her to fall on her back. Tai walked to the seat (Y/N) was sitting, and the dragon boy passed him a towel. "Although that could use some work too," Yang sighed.
"Meaning?"
"I saw your tournament fights, during the Vytal Festival,"
"Let me guess: 'I was sloppy'," Tai chuckled.
"No, no, you were predictable. And stubborn. And maybe a little boneheaded," Yang sat up and crossed her legs as he dad continued. "Do you realize that you used your semblance to win every fight after the qualifiers?" Yang turned away.
"So what? How is me using my semblance any different than someone else using theirs?"
"Because not everyone else's is basically a temper tantrum,"
"Uh oh," (Y/N) said while Tai approached her.
"I'm serious! Once you take damage you can dish it back twice as hard but that doesn't make you invincible! It's great when you're in a bind, but what happens if you miss? What happens if they're stronger? What then? Now you're just weak and tired! You've always been one to burn brighter than everyone else, wether it was with your smile, or well, I remember your first haircut,"
"That poor barber," (Y/N) thought as he remembered one time someone had messed with his sister's hair. It wasn't pretty.
"But you gotta keep your emotions in check," Tai continued. "Keep a level head, and think before you act. Your semblance is a great fallback, but you can't let yourself rely on it. It won't always save you. Obviously," there was a uncomfortable silence. "You definitely have your mom's stubbornness,"
"Oh, so now we can talk about her?" Yang asked.
"Well, as I have been informed, you're an adult now, remember?"
"Well sorry I remind you of her,"
"Don't be. Raven was great in so many ways: her strength, her ambition, her dedication to whatever cause she thought was worth fighting for. I'm proud of how much of her I see in you. But, I'm glad I don't see all of her in you,"
"Why?" Tai sighed.
"Your mother was...a complicated woman. Like everybody, she had her faults, but those faults are what tore our team apart, and it did a real number on our family. You both act like the easiest way to tackle an obstacle is through it. That strength is all that matters in a fight, but if you just take a second look, then maybe you see there's a way around," Tai looked over at the dragon boy. "(Y/N), you're up,"
"Me?" He asked surprised. Tai hadn't let Yang and (Y/N) spar yet. He had always alternated them during their sessions.
"Yes you. Come on. It's time your sister saw how much you've improved," the dragon up and stretched out his arms a bit before standing in front of Yang. He bounced from foot to foot, waiting for Tai to give the signal.
"Go!"
Yang struck first with a hard right jab. (Y/N) nimbly side step the blow. Unlike Tai, (Y/N) didn't have the bulk just yet to take blows, but he was much more light footed than the blond male. He expertly weaved through his sister's attacks, but Yang easily blocked his counters. (Y/N) swept her with his leg, but she jump it, only to be knocked off balance by a blow from his tail. In that moment he threw his elbow forward. Yang caught it and went to kick him, but hesitated for a moment. (Y/N) took that moment to grab her leg with his tail and yank her forward. Yang, trying to regain her balance, let go of his arm, and he slipped under her while she regained her footing. Tai frowned.
"Yang, quit pulling your punches!"
"I'm not!" She argued.
"Yes you are. He's not helpless anymore. If you want to get stronger and you want him to get stronger, you have to stop treating him like a baby," Yang didn't seem to like that idea but (Y/N) smiled.
"Yang, it's fine. I can handle it," She hesitated, but nodded eventually.
"Alright, if you're sure,"
(Y/N) was the first to attack this time. He jumped up and slammed his tail down at her. Yang guarded her face. The dragon bounced off her and flipped away. Yang followed up. (Y/N) dodged best he could, but Yang was much faster this time and he was forced to block plenty of her strikes.
"Good, keep it up. Both of you," Tai encouraged them.
They continued their back and forth for a while. Yang was impressed with (Y/N) techniques. His tail strike were power, his form was near perfect, he had even started using his wings as a shield or to whip up dirt to blind his opponents. The two fought until they were sweating and huffing for breath. Tai smiled.
"Nice work you 2. Come on, let's get some dinner,"
(Timeskip)
Yang walked into her room after a nice shower. (Y/N) was on the bed, staring out the window. She plopped down next to him and ruffled his hair.
"Hey little guy, what are you looking at?" He shrugged.
"Nothing really. The sky,"
"Well what're you thinking?"
"Ruby, and Weiss, and Blake," Yang frowned.
"Oh. You miss them, of course you miss them,"
"Don't you?"
"Of course I do! It's just..."
"You're still mad at Blake," She looked at him shocked, but she reigned in her emotions.
"I'm not....I'm not mad, I'm just frustrated with her. She just took off without saying anything. Didn't you feel hurt?" The boy looked away sad.
"Yeah. But I think she was scared. That guy who attacked us..."
"Adam,"
"Adam...you said he attack us because of Blake right?"
"Yeah, Blake did something to him and he wanted to hurt her,"
"So maybe she felt bad about that. Maybe, she blamed herself and thinks we're better off,"
"...I guess," He leaned his head on her shoulder.
"I don't want her to feel like that," she rubbed his head.
"Me either buddy,"
"And I'm scared about Weiss. She looked so sad when she left. And what about Ruby? Do you think she's okay?"
"I don't know. But I'm gonna find out,"
"Are you gonna go after her?"
"Yeah," he looked at her with a determined face.
"I'm coming too!" She shook her head.
"No (Y/N), you're staying here, where it's safe," he pouted.
"I can fight and I can keep up!"
"No (Y/N)! What if you got hurt? I'd never forgive myself!" He raised an eyebrow.
"If you try to ditch me like Ruby, I'll just follow you. I can fly remember?"
"(Y/N)!" She jokingly scolded.
"And since I'd be alone, I'd be at risk from Grimm attacks,"
"So you're blackmailing me with your safety?"
"Yes,"
"I taught you too well," the both laughed.
"So when do we leave?"
"Soon,"
(Timeskip)
The next day, (Y/N) trained harder than he had before. If he and Yang were gonna go after Ruby, he had to be in top shape for it. He practiced and practiced, nearly breaking the dummies. Eventually, he took a deep breath and focused. Now was the time to get his semblance under control. He had to be able to use it if he was gonna be of any help. He concentrated hard on his bracelet, trying to draw power from it, but once again, it only made his head ache. He growled and punched a dummy, cracking it.
"You know, I don't think you should take on Yang's temper," he jumped and turned to see Tai standing there, crossed arm. He sighed.
"Sorry, I'm just so...frustrated! Why can't I use my semblance!?" Tai out a hand on his shoulder.
"Take it easy buddy, it'll come to you,"
"No it won't!" He pulled his shoulder away. "Weiss's sister Winter said a semblance is like a muscle. It need to be trained to get stronger. Waiting isn't gonna help me learn to use it! I don't care how much it hurts my head, I'm gonna learn how to use it!" Tai sighed.
"Alright then, maybe we start by figuring out what it is in the first place. Sit down," both of them sat facing each other. "Okay, I need you to try and remember what exactly happened when you first used it. Can you do that?" The boy nodded and closed his eyes.
"I...I was kneeling next to Yang. I could hear someone coming closer and Blake, she was yelling, but it sounded far away. My ears were buzzing,"
"Alright, good. Keep going,"
"I heard a sword, and I remember the buzzing turning into a roar. My bracelet, it felt warm and then, that's when my semblance unlocked," Tai rubbed his chin.
"Do you remember anything specific about when you used it? Details?" (Y/N) scrunched his eyes.
"It was glowing red at first, then teal, then silver,"
"How did you feel when you used it?" His fist clenched.
"I was mad, scared, worried about Blake and Yang-,"
"You wanted to protect them,"
"Yeah! I just wanted him to go away!"
"Okay, okay, let's go back to the glowing. Was it the whole bracelet that glowed?" The dragon boy thought hard, trying to remember the scene. It was still fuzzy, but he could barely make out the details.
"No, the charms glowed, not the bracelet," He gasped. "They were glowing the same color as the person's soul!"
"That's it, give me more details," (Y/N) held out his arm and touched the charms.
"Yang's charm was red and I felt stronger. Weiss's charm was teal and my fire got hotter and Ruby's charm glowed silver and I got faster!" Tai snapped his fingers.
"I got it, I think I know how your semblance might work. Get into your stance," (Y/N) stood up and faced the dummy. "Your semblance gives you a connection to others, that bracelet lets you use their power, but it's not the bracelet itself but the charms. Each one is a person you have a connection to right?" The boy nodded. "Each charm gives you a different power depending on that person. I think it's a variation of their semblances,"
"Really, so each one is a different power?"
"Yup, I think that's why you've been getting headaches. You've been focusing on the entire bracelet instead of an individual charm. It probably seriously eats up your aura to use one, let alone all of them at once. Try focusing on a specific charm you want to use. Concentrate on that carefully," (Y/N) closed his eyes and concentrated. He decided to Yang charm. Focusing on it, he felt a burst of heat rush through him, a raging fire that roared in blood and set every nerve ablaze. His eyes shot open and he struck the dummy, going right through it, the charm glowing bright red as it had at Beacon. He smiled.
"I-I did it!" Tai grinned.
"You sure did buddy. Come on, let's keep going. We should check to see what each one does," (Y/N) tugged his arm to get it loose before smiling sheepishly.
"Uh, Tai? I'm stuck,"
(Timeskip)
Several days had passed since Tai and (Y/N) had finally figured out how to use the boy's semblance and by now, he knew what each one did. Strangely enough though, Mercury's charm didn't do anything. Emerald's did, but (Y/N) felt no power from the winged sandal charm. Yang was delighted with (Y/N) new power and was more than happy to spar with him to help train it. However, there would be no training today.
No today, the 2 of them would set out to find Ruby.
They weren't planning on telling Tai given he would probably stop them. They made final preparations. Yang spray painted her arm and her remaining Ember Silica (the other one hand been lost at Beacon) to match her colors. When she was finished, she led (Y/N) to the garage Bumblebee was stored in. Yang walked in and removed the cloth from her bike, only for a voice to chime in.
"I don't remember saying that you 2 were ready," (Y/N) turned and saw Tai standing there. Yang didn't even look at her dad.
"Oh yeah? You gonna try and stop us?" Tai chuckled.
"No, I think I'm still too sore after you 2 tag teamed me the other day. I just wanted a better goodbye than a letter. And to give him these," (Y/N) only then noticed something bundled under his arm. The blonde man handed him the items. It was a new set of clothes (same ones from Blake's chapter), but something more interesting was on top of it. It was a pair of gauntlets. They kinda looked like the Ember Silica, but there was a grip where his palm would go, and blades on the sides.

 They kinda looked like the Ember Silica, but there was a grip where his palm would go, and blades on the sides

(https://aminoapps.com/c/rwby/page/blog/insomnia-weapons-yaaay/066j_3J4IkuQ1q01EXKVm40GB58DWYwdK8a; pretend there's a cover for the knuckled, but exposed at the tips of the fingers for claw attacks and the blades being more curved. You'll see why later)

(Y/N)'s eyes widened at the gifts.
"Tai," The father smiled.
"Go on, go try them on. I think I need to talk to your sister for a sec," (Y/N) ran inside and quickly put on his new gear. It was light, but durable, and the gauntlets felt strong. He finally had weapons of his own! He wouldn't have to just claw at his opponents! He ran back outside and saw Yang waiting for him by the bike. She smiled at him.
"Look at you, Mr Huntsman," he rubbed his neck.
"Yeah, it fits great," Tai smiled at him.
"Good to know," Tai walked up to him him and grabbed his shoulder.
"Take care of her for me buddy," the boy nodded.
"I will," the 2 had a quick hug and (Y/N) ran to Yang and got on the bike behind her. She glanced at him.
"Ready?"
"Yeah, let's do this,"
Okay! That's the end of Yang's story for Volume 4. Seriously, it's been a little difficult balancing these chapters out cause I do want them to get to Haven at the same time. So yeah. Anyways, now I get to explain (Y/N)'s semblance! (Y/N) semblance is a bond based semblance. The charm bracelet is like Weiss's swords, it focuses the semblance to make it easier. Could he use it without the charms...maybe. Anyways, each charm gives a unique power related to a person's semblance or personality (more on this later). The drawbacks are that using the semblance eats up aura quickly and using multiple at once cause bad headaches and (Y/N) won't last long. Also, in order for the semblance to work, the bond must go both ways: (Y/N) must feel a bond with that person, and the person must feel a bond with (Y/N), hence why Mercury's charm didn't work and totally not because that without his semblance I have no idea what to give him. Anyways, give me name suggestions down in the comments for (Y/N)'s and for his new weapons while we're at it. Also, these are (Y/N)'s weapons in both paths just so it's easier after we meet up at Haven. Hope you guys are doing and see ya soon.