Chapter 6: Nightmares and Tai Yang

Happy Volume 7! I own nothing
Chapter 6: With Power, Comes Trouble
(Y/N) slept soundly on Ruby's bed with Zwei curled up beside him. He was all tuckered out from morning combat training with Ozpin, who had remained true to his word about teaching the young dragon about controlling his fire breathing and doing a bit more training with his other powers. So while the girl's were in class and the dorm was quiet, (Y/N) snoozed the hours away.
Needless to say, it didn't last long.
Ruby burst through the door, squealing. (Y/N) tumbled out of bed in shock and landed head first while Zwei jumped down to lick his head. The other girls walked in.
"(Y/N)!" Yang said in surprise as she turned him right side up and checked him for bumps. "You ok little guy?"
"I'm ok," he yawned. "Ruby just scared me," Weiss knocked their leader on the head.
"Ruby! You shouldn't go rushing through doors like that! We just got it fix from Nora's little escapade! Now apologize to (Y/N)," Ruby rubbed the forming bump on her head.
"Sorry (Y/N)," The boy smiled and pulled Zwei into his lap.
"It's alright Ruby. What were you so excited about?" She scooped up the little dragon and began twirling him around.
"Oh it's great! We're gonna go visit our dad in Patch!" Yang stood up and smiled down at the dizzy boy.
"And you're coming with us little man,"
"I am?" Ruby nodded happily.
"Yep! We have to take Zwei back and Dad insisted we bring you along. He's been dying to meet you!" (Y/N) looked over her shoulder to Blake and Weiss.
"Are you guys coming too?"
"No sweetie," Weiss answered for them. "This is strictly a family visit,"
"And we have to get ready for the Vytal Tournament," Blake added. (Y/N) had heard of the Vytal tournament a few times since he had arrived at Beacon. Apparently it was this huge tournament held at the end of the school year where teams from the four huntsman academies of Remnant would compete. That's why teams like SNNN or combatants like Penny were in Vale. The tournament actually started next week.
"Don't worry guys, we'll only be gone for three days. Promise," Yang assured. Weiss quickly took Zwei from (Y/N)'s arms and cried.
"I can't believe we have to say good bye too our wonderful puppy!"
"Don't worry Weiss, you can visit whenever you like!" Ruby replied.
"Or wait for their dad to send him through the mail again," Blake added sarcastically.
(Timeskip)
(Y/N) got up bright and early the next morning for a training session with Professor Ozpin in Professor Goodwitch's classroom. Currently, he had the young boy breathing a continuous stream of fire not only to help him learn how to control larger flames, but also to allow his mouth and throat to build resistance to irritation. The headmaster called him off as soon as his face started to turn red.
"That's quite enough (Y/N)," the boy gasped for air.
"No, I can keep going,"
"That's enough physical training for one day. You must allow your body to adjust to your growing strength, otherwise you'll only delay your growth. Now, I want you to assume a meditative stance," The boy sat cross legged on the floor and listened as the older man continued.
"I believe it's time we start working towards unlocking your semblance. Emotions are key to unlocking one's semblance, wether it be stressful scenarios, a powerful drive, or achieving a spiritual peace. I don't know when or how your semblance will unlock (Y/N), but I find meditating is a strong starting point. Close your eyes," (Y/N) did as he was told and listened to the Professor. "Empty your mind of all distraction. Think of nothing and feel only the presence of your own soul,"
(Y/N) cleared his head and focused on nothing but the darkness. Just as a peace was about to wash over him, he felt sunshine and a familiar scent. Was it oak? Elm? Maple? It was hot, and he heard voices. A man and a woman screaming...and he smelled blood, so much blood. The screaming was suddenly cut off by several gun shots. He heard laughter, horrible, jeering laughter, and (Y/N) thought his heart would burst from his chest, he was so scared. He covered his ears and began to cry as shadows crept closer to him.
"(Y/N)! (Y/N)!" He felt someone shaking him. He opened his eyes to see Ozpin looking at him with concern.
"Are you alright my boy? You started shaking and crying," (Y/N) shook his head, still too stunned to speak. The headmaster sighed.
"I think that will be all for today," He picked up a container of tea he had set aside for himself and handed it to the dragon faunus.
"Drink, it'll calm your nerves," shakily, (Y/N) brought the liquid to his lips and drank. It was warm, but not scalding, and it soothed him. Ozpin sat in front of him.
"It seems we will have to forgo meditation for now. What is it you saw?" His (E/C) eyes were hollow and distant.
"I-I didn't see anything. I could hear and smell things. There was screaming and blood and-!" Ozpin motioned him to stop.
"Don't push yourself (Y/N). Whatever this is, it is likely something your mind has decided to forget. For now, I think it is best not pry, at least not yet,"
"Ok Professor," they both stood up.
"Run along back to the dorms. I'm sure Ms Xiao Long and Ms Rose are waiting to take you to Patch. A few days of peace should do you good before the chaos of the Vytal Festival,"
"Right, thank you professor,"
(Timeskip)
The air trip to Patch was fairly uncrowded. According to Yang, most people were starting to head towards the city for the Vytal Festival instead of leaving it. After a long series of good byes from Blake, Weiss, and Team JNPR, the sisters, Zwei, and (Y/N) took off for their journey to the island. (Y/N) mostly remained silent and curled up in his seat during the trip, the vision he had had still weighing heavily on his mind. Both sisters took notice of the boy's quietness and worried a bit. (Y/N) hadn't been this reserved since his first week with them.
"You okay (Y/N)?" Yang asked with a hint of concern in her voice. The boy jumped a bit, as if he had forgotten for a moment where he was.
"What?"
"You've been quiet for a while now," Ruby explained with a sad smile. "Did something happen?" He shook his head hesitantly.
"N-no, I'm fine, just tired from training,"
"Are you sure?" Ruby pushed.
"Yeah, it's nothing,"
"Alright," Yang said. "But don't be scared to tell us anything," He nodded halfheartedly before slipping back into silence. Neither sister wanted to prod any further so they did not ask anymore questions. The ship landed and the group disembarked. Waiting for them was a blonde man smiling happily, his familiar lilac eyes glowing. Ruby squealed.
"DAD!" She pounced on him, nearly sending them both tumbling. Yang laughed and walked up and pulled them to their feet. (Y/N) just stood back awkwardly as the girls hugged their dad.  The man eventually stood up and Zwei ran up to him, demanding attention. Laughing, he conceded to the dog's wishes before turning his attention to the boy.
"So, you must be (Y/N). I'm Taiyang," he extended a hand to shake, but as per usual with meeting new people, the dragon was hesitant. Seeing his shyness, Yang walked up to the boy and gave him an encouraging nudge.
"Go on, he won't bite. I promise," (Y/N) slowly locked his hand with Tai's.
"Pleasure to meet you," Tai smiled.
"It's great to finally meet you (Y/N). These 2 haven't stop sending me letters about you since you showed up at Beacon. Anyways, let's head back to the house, I bet you guys are starving,"
(Timeskip)
The Xiao-Long household was located in a quiet patch of woods, removed from most hustle and bustle, which (Y/N) liked. The house itself was decently sized, especially for a family of 3. As soon as they entered, Zwei scampered around smelling everything. (Y/N) similarly was looking at every nook and cranny of the house, even crawling on the ceiling. The family laughed at his antics.
"What do you think (Y/N)?" Ruby asked. He let go of the ceiling and plopped down on the couch with the first smile he had cracked since morning.
"I like it," Yang proceeded to hop on the couch as well, causing him to jump a little.
"Glad to hear it little dragon," there were then several loud noises as the group's stomach rumbled in hunger. Tai immediately went into the kitchen.
"Noodles for anyone who's hungry!"
The trio quickly followed the man into the kitchen and served themselves large helpings of food. After Yang demonstrated to (Y/N) how to use his chopsticks, they all dug into the meal. (Y/N) proceeded to stuff his face much to Tai's amazement.
"Hey! Slow down little man. You'll choke at this rate!" (Y/N) didn't respond as his cheeks were stuff full like a chipmunk.
"Don't worry about him dad," Ruby assured. "He eats like this all the time,"
"That doesn't seem very healthy girls,"
"Nah it's fine," Yang brushed off as she pat the boy on the head. "He burns a ton of calories flying so he has to eat a lot to balance it out," (Y/N) forcefully swallowed the large chunk of food in is mouth before burping loudly. He blushed.
"'Scuse me," they all laughed.
"Hey, I'm always glad when some enjoys my cooking so much," Tai joked. After finishing up the food, the rest of the day was spent exploring the house, listening to Tai tell stories about Yang and Ruby when they were (Y/N)'s age, and watching movies. When it was time for bed, Yang took the little guy to her room to settle in for the night.
However, he found no peace in his dreams.
(Y/N) felt smaller and he was running away from something. He didn't know what, just that it smelled like blood and was coming for him. He tried flying but his wings felt so weak and he could even cough up smoke. As his legs tired, he finally made it to a small clear in the deep woods. Near the edge was two forms lying motionless in a bed of pink and red flowers. The scent of iron was heavy in the air as (Y/N) approached them seeking help, only to freeze at the foot of the flowerbed. The two bodies were of a man and woman and the flowers were actually white stained by their blood. The woman's (E/C) eyes were locked in a slight less terrified expression, while the (H/C) male's were closed. (Y/N) feel back in fear and scooted away from the bodies, unable to even scream. He knew these people. The man, like him, was a dragon faunus and looked like an older version while the woman had a very familiar look to her. Before he could call out to them, a shadowy arm grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, laughing cruel as the boy tried vainly to escape.
"Keep trying brat and you'll end up just like mommy and daddy,"
(Y/N) woke up screaming louder than he ever had.
"MAMA! PAPA!" His voice rang out all across the house as the blonde next to him immediately woke up to see him crying and shaking uncontrollably. Yang grabbed his shoulders.
"(Y/N)! What's wrong?" He didn't answer and instead latched on to her, still crying and shaking, muttering "mama" over and over again. Tai, Ruby, and Zwei burst through the door.
"(Y/N)!" Ruby yelled as she ran over to him. "What's wrong with him?" Yang ran her fingers through his hair.
"I think he had a nightmare," Ruby also tried to comfort the boy, only to be slapped away by his tail and for him to tighten his grip on Yang, still moaning "mama". Tai looked at him with understanding.
"Looks like it was more of a night terror. Ruby, don't touch him. He needs to calm down first," Ruby wanted to protest, but (Y/N)'s lashing tail kept her from getting any closer. For several hours, Yang held (Y/N) protectively, hoping his shaking would finally stop. Eventually it did and he looked up at her with tired, tear stained eyes.
"Yang?" She smiled down at him.
"Hey little guy. You feeling better?" He shook his head. Yang sighed.
"(Y/N), what was that? I haven't seen you so scared since we first found you,"
"I-it was just a really bad, stupid dream,"
"Wanna talk about it?" He shook his head and hugged her again. Yang sat there, rocking back and forth and running her hands through his (H/C) hair until he finally fell back into a fitful sleep. The next morning, (Y/N) woke up more exhausted than he had been the night before. The lilac eyed female smiled, seeing him wake up.
"Hey little man, how you feeling?" (Y/N) let out a loud yawn and rubbed his eyes tiredly as an answer.
"Yeah, I guess you wouldn't be able to rest after that nightmare. Come on, let's get some breakfast, that should make you feel better," she scooped him up and ran to the kitchen. Tai and Ruby were already there. Ruby ran up to them and squeezed (Y/N).
"Hey (Y/N)! Are you feeling better?"
"Not really," he said miserably. Ruby frowned while Tai set down a plate of eggs, bacon, toast, and fruits.
"Well it not shocking. You really had us all scared last night. I thought a Grimm had broken in from how loud you were screaming," (Y/N) blushed in embarrassment while Ruby punched her dad in the shoulder, hard.
"What dad means to say is, we were all really worried about you and we want to help you get better," the group sat down to eat. (Y/N) picked halfheartedly at his breakfast, much to the worry of Ruby and Yang. Tai coughed to get his attention.
"So (Y/N), Yang and Ruby tell me they're already training you in combat. They say you're a fast learner,"
"I'm okay," Ruby butted in.
"He's just being modest! He's a great fighter!"
"Yeah!" Yang said enthusiastically. "Even Ozpin's been teaching him things one on one. I wouldn't be surprised if he unlocks his semblance soon!" Tai looked impressed.
"Wow, the headmaster of Beacon himself. I wouldn't mind seeing your skills myself. How about some sparring?" The little dragon pondered for a moment before nodding.
"Okay,"
(Timeskip)
After breakfast and getting ready for the day, the family, (Y/N), and Zwei all stepped outside for their training session. Yang and Ruby were practicing with each other, getting ready for the Vytal tournament, while (Y/N) was left one on one with Tai. Taiyang definitely had a teaching style all his own. He was a much harsher teacher than the boy was used. Unlike the girls, he didn't really pull his punches. Maybe Ozpin would be similar, but most of their training sessions focused on controlling his powers, not really combat. Here, (Y/N) was struggling just stay standing. Every trick he had in his arsenal only served to barely defend against Tai. The blond male had quickly adapted to his fire breathing and flying and his sheer experience easily allowed him to block (Y/N)'s attacks. Along with his lack of sleep and food, it didn't take long for the little dragon to be out of breath and sweating. Tai smiled at him, not even breaking a sweat.
"Well, you're definitely more capable than any kid your age I've met, but you're a long way off from being a huntsman," Yang and Ruby stopped their spar at the sight of (Y/N) heaving air into his lungs.
"Dad!" Yang yelled running over to (Y/N) and rubbing his back. "He's a little kid, you don't need to go all out on him!" Tai crossed his arms.
"I didn't take it easy on you girls, so I won't take it easy on him,"
"I'm fine," (Y/N) insisted, wanting to keep going. Ruby didn't look convinced.
"Are you sure," he nodded and got back into a fighting stance and dove back into things. While the girls were worried about him, they couldn't deny he looked much better fighting with their dad. Maybe some harsh training with Tai was what he needed to get over his nightmare. As the afternoon rolled around, (Y/N) was exhausted and luckily his appetite had return in full force. He plowed through a whole mountain of sandwiches before Ruby had even taken her seat. Yang laughed.
"Well, I think you're back to normal now (Y/N)," Tai nodded.
"Besides being shaky on his form and needing to build up his aura a bit, I've gotta admit, you guys have done a pretty decent job of training him. Not a bad start at all,"
"Aw dad, just admit it: we're great teachers!" Ruby boasted before nearly choking on her own sandwich. They laughed before hearing frantic barking. Tai checked the window, only to see Zwei bolting into the forest, probably after a small animal or something.
"Zwei!" He yelled before heading to the door. "Not again!"
"Come on," Yang said while following the older male. "Knowing dad, he'll be chasing Zwei all day by himself,"
The trio followed Taiyang into the forest. Zwei had already taken off to who knows where and they could only call out,"
"Zwei!"
"Zwei, come here boy!"
"Zwei we have bacon!"
"We'll never find him at this rate!" Tai complained.
"I could fly around and look for him," (Y/N) offered. "It'd be much faster,"
"No (Y/N), there's plenty of Grimm out-(Y/N)!" Ruby called out as he took off without a second thought.
"Zwei!" He continued to call, scanning the ground for the little dog. Eventually, he saw the dog clawing the trunk of a tree. (Y/N) landed and opened his arms.
"Here boy!" The dog turned and jumped straight into his arms and began licking his face. (Y/N) laughed.
"Come on, let's head back," as he turned to leave, he heard growling. He looked at the pup in his arms.
"Zwei, tell me that was your stomach," the canine whined before (Y/N) whirled around to see a Grimm emerging from the woods. It was a Beowulf and it was even on the small side, but to a hardly trained use like (Y/N) who had never even been in a real fight, it was a terrifying sight. The creature growled and stalked forward. Zwei jumped from (Y/N)'s arms and growled back at the monster while the boy backed away slowly. The Grimm pounced at (Y/N). Zwei bit its leg, but the monster kept going. (Y/N) barely managed to roll away as its claws tore through the tree behind him. The beast rounded on him, only for (Y/N) to fly up into tree branches, out of reach. The beast howled in anger before turning its attention to Zwei. It bucked wildly until the little dog was finally dislodged. Zwei landed on his feet and got ready to attack again. He was a tough little guy and was used to fighting Grimm.
But (Y/N) didn't know that.
"Zwei!" He yelled as the Beowulf charged. Before he had time to feel fear, he jumped from his perch, directly on the monster's back. He dug his claws into the creature's flesh as it thrashed about, trying to knock him off. (Y/N) just kept scratching as hard as he could. His claws may not have been very long, but they were still sharp enough to do damage. The creature roared in pain, finally ripping the boy off and flinging him into a tree. (Y/N) slid down and groaned in pain.  The Beowulf growled, but Zwei biting its tail kept the attention away from the boy. It raised its claws to swipe at the dog. (Y/N) dove in, grabbing Zwei and raising his arm up to take the blow, expecting to have his arm torn to bloody pieces. Instead, the Beowulf's attack bounced off as Zwei body checked the creature away. (Y/N)'s arm suddenly felt hot and itchy,and surprisingly lacking blood. He went to scratch, only to feel something hard, smooth, and warm, definitely not skin. He looked down and saw (F/C) scales covering his skin, and his claws were significantly longer. Before he had time to gawk, the Beowulf charged him, Zwei latched at the ear. (Y/N), having enough, yelled out.
"Zwei! Get out of the way!" The dog immediately let go as (Y/N) inhaled deeply before letting out an impressive stream of fire which engulfed the creature. He continued his attack until he was nearly out of breath. As his flames stop, the Beowulf stood there for a moment, almost as if it were still ready to attack, only to stumble forward dead and dissolve into dust. (Y/N) felt a sense of pride surge through him. This was his first real fight with a Grimm, and he managed to take it down. Before he could revel in the feeling, his arm began hurting unbearably.
"GAH!" He cried out, collapsing at the pain. It was terrible and mind consuming. Zwei frantically ran around, barking madly. (Y/N) could barely hear him over the sound of pounding in his own head. Before blacking out, he thought he heard Yang calling out his name.
(Timeskip)
"(Y/N)!" Someone was calling for him. It was a girl, but it wasn't one of the girls or any others he knew. Opening his eyes, he saw a woman smiling sweetly at him. She had (E/C) eyes just like him that were filled with warmth. She scooped him up, as if he were weightless and he became very aware he felt much shorter than he was.
"Sweetie, I know you like to nap, but we need to go back home before it gets too late,"
"Home?" (Y/N) could barely recognize his own voice as the woman set him down and held his hand.
"The village sweetie! (F/N)! Hurry up! Those wings should make it so you can at least keep up!" The was a rush of air as a man, another dragon faunus, suddenly appeared beside them.
"I was just picking up the picnic (M/N)!" He said playfully as he ruffled (Y/N)'s hair. "Well good morning little warrior! Have a good nap?" He smiled up at the man and nodded. The man laughed.
"Good. That should mean you're well enough to-," his smile faded and his look became sharp and he snapped his head left.
"(F/N)?" The woman asked worriedly.
"(M/N), take (Y/N) and run. Now," a shot rang out as a bullet pierced through the man's left wing. He roared.
"GO NOW!" The woman scooped up (Y/N) and bolted into the woods while the man charged at several strangers coming out of the forest. As they made their escape, (Y/N) could hear the man struggling desperately as well as more footsteps following, and voices threatening the woman to drop him. Eventually, she rounded some stones and put him down.
"(Y/N), listen. You need to go back to the village. Do not follow me. Just keep running and do not stop until you get home," She kissed him on the forehead, tears running down her face as she turned and head back towards the ambush. (Y/N) finally recognized the place. It was where his first vision took place. And he knew the fate of the man and the woman. He reached out for her, crying.
"MAMA! PAPA!"
(Real World)
(Y/N) bolted up, crying out. He was no longer in the forest, but on the couch in the living room of the Xiao Long household. Ruby came rushing in from the kitchen, followed closely by Yang and Tai. She hugged him tightly.
"(Y/N)! It's okay! You're safe!"
"R-Ruby?" He asked as she wiped his tears.
"Yeah it's me. It's alright, you're safe now,"
"You were just having another nightmare," Yang said comfortingly, also hugging the small boy. He sighed.
"It wasn't just a nightmare,"
"What?" Yang asked.
"It was a memory. I remembered the day the white coats caught me. They-mama and papa weren't moving and we're lying in blood and then I was in a cage!" There was silence in the room. It wasn't hard to put the pieces together on what had happened. Yang began rocking back and forth to soothe him.
"That's why you were calling out for your mama," (Y/N) nodded. Tai ruffled his hair.
"I'm sorry buddy. You shouldn't have to deal with stuff like this, especially not at your age. I know I can't bring back your family, but I can offer you a new one," (Y/N) looked up at him confused,
"What?" Tai smiled.
"(Y/N), consider this your new home. You're welcomed to stay here anytime,"
"Really?" Ruby smiled after him.
"Yep! You're officially part of the family (Y/N) Rose!"
"Hold up, who said he was gonna be called that? He should be (Y/N) Xiao Long! It even fits with his dragon astatic!" Ruby stamp her foot.
"But I'm outnumbered here! If he gets my last name, then it's even!"
"Not happening sis!"
"Why is my arm bandaged?" (Y/N) suddenly interjected, seeing his arm in wrappings. Tai rubbed his neck.
"Yeah, really, I didn't know what to do when I saw that, so I thought it would be best to just wrap it up," the boy tore off the gauze and saw the scales were still there.
"Makes you look even more like a dragon," Yang commented. (Y/N) scratched at it.
"I think it's another power. I have the same itchy, uncomfortable feeling I got when my fire breathing came it. Good thing it happened when I was fight that Beowulf,"
"I'm sorry, you were fighting what?" Ruby interjected worryingly. (Y/N)'s face lit up.
"Oh yeah! I beat a Grimm all by myself! Toasted it with a fire blast!" Yang eyes weld up with tears.
"His first Grimm! I'm so proud of you!" She crushed him in a hug. "Darn, I wish I could've seen it! We've gotta celebrate!"
"Weiss is gonna kill us when she finds out," Ruby realized as they all ran into the kitchen to make a celebratory meal.
(Timeskip)
The gang was getting ready to head back to Beacon that day. The tournament was close and Yang and Ruby needed to be there as soon as possible. (Y/N) was helping Yang pack up her things.
"Alright, that should be it. (Y/N), can you go get dad and Ruby so we can head out?" She asked. He nodded.
"Sure Yang,"
"I think they're outside!" She called as he ran out looking for the two. He felt a chill in the air as he remembered it was fall and noticed the beautiful red leaves. He had been so caught up in his nightmares, he hadn't even noticed. He eventually found Tai, Zwei, and Ruby near cliff where a carved stone was. Ruby was looking intently at it. (Y/N) walked up to Tai.
"What's she doing?" He asked.
"Talking to her mom,"
"Her mom?" Tai looked so sad.
"Yeah, Summer. That's her grave over there. Ruby doesn't remember her all that well, but she still has a deep connection with her," (Y/N) looked over and did indeed hear Ruby speaking to the stone as if a person were there. Tai nudged him.
"Maybe your parents are friends with her in the afterlife and she guided Ruby to you," he joked. "Sounds like something Summer would do anyways,"
"Would she have liked me?"
"Ha, you kidding? She would've adopted you on the spot and hogged you all to herself," (Y/N) smiled.
"She sounds amazing,"
"Yeah, she was,"
"She sounds like Ruby too," Tai ruffled his hair.
"Yeah, well now you know where she gets it from,"