Chapter 47: Perils of Paper Houses

I own nothing.
Chapter 47: Breaking Point

After the entire mess that was the Ponderstorm and the crossroads, Jaune managed to wrangle everyone back to his village and house, even returning Crescent Rose back to Ruby. The gang was all passed out on mats in the living room. (Y/N) had a hammock in there thanks to the bit of time he had spent here before, but he kindly gave it up to his younger version, who were warmly nestled in. As for the older dragon, he was back to back with Ruby. Just by how she was breathing, he could tell she didn't get a wink of sleep, just staring at Crescent Rose as dawn grew brighter. (Y/N) was incredibly worried about Ruby. Something was deeply wrong with her and she was shutting everyone out. The usual "provide subtle suppose and reassurance" was not cutting it this time if Timid and Baby (Y/N) were to be believed, so he would have to get direct with her.
"Uh, Rub-,"
A loud crash cut him off as he heard Jaune shoot up in the other room.
"I'm late! I'm late!" Everyone got up at the sound of the blonde panicking. "(Y/N), why didn't you wake me up!?"
"As if I have your schedule memorized yet!" The dragon boy defended as Jaune bolted out of the house.
Worried, Yang, Blake, and Weiss followed after him, stopping at the doorway.
"What was that!?" Weiss called out.
"Disaster one." (Y/N) said with a yawn as he helped his younger selves out of the hammock.
"One?" Timid repeated, rubbing his eyes sleepily.
"I overslept! I never oversleep!" Jaune muttered as he saddled up Juniper. "Yesterday, ugh! All the excitement! Get your head together and fix it! You always fix it!"
Jaune mounted the rabbit, leaving the girls baffled.
"Jaune!"
"I can't stick around, I'm late! I knew something was going to-," another explosion occurred. "Damnit! Right on time. Get to town, I'll meet you there!"
With that he took off towards the fire in the distance.
"None of this happens when I oversleep." Little complained as she was also sleepy.
"Uh, what did he mean by 'right on time'?" Yang asked.
The girls turned to (Y/N), who was calmly leaning against the open window, for an explanation.
He waved them off. "It's easier if you just see it for yourselves."
Blake sighed. "I'm sure we'll find out when we get down there. Ruby, where is your weapon?"
Ruby was standing in the doorway, slightly dazed, and without Crescent Rose. She blinked, realizing her hands were indeed empty.
"Oh, uh, sorry. Still waking up."
"Hurry!" Weiss said. "People are counting on us!"
(Y/N) whistled, tossing the scythe to his sister as he jumped out the window and gave a big stretch.
"All right, let's do this."
The girls followed him down to the village, completely shocked as they realized the whole place was made of brightly colored pieces of paper.
"Yeah, everything is paper." (Y/N) explained quickly as he went for a water bucket to start putting out the flames. "Needless to say, I have been banned from fire breathing."
"Who makes their town out of paper!?" Yang yelled as one of the villagers greeted them.
"Hello!" They all turned to see a little origami star twirling to welcome them. "Welcome to our village. We hope that it pleases you. Would you be so kind as to tell us what you are so that we may serve you?"
"I meant everything." (Y/N) called as he dropped the first bucket onto the fire.
"Serve us!?" Ruby repeated as Timid and Baby (Y/N) began poking and prodding the strange being, who seemed to giggle in response.
Weiss gripped her head in frustration. "Your town is on fire!"
"Oh, no, we are quite safe." The villager assured. "We have our hero and his apprentice."
"I told you guys to stop calling me that!" (Y/N) yelled in the distance, as Jaune joined in to help finish off the fire.
The two landed in front of the group as more of the villagers emerged.
"Hooray!"
"Three cheers for the Rusted Knight, his white rabbit, and the dragon. Hip-hip-,"
"Stop! Stop!" Jaune called out as he ran over to them. "Just back up. There's water everywhere, you'll dissolve."
As the crowd dispersed, a white and yellow star waddled up to a puddle. "Hello water, how may I serve you?"
"Stop that." Jaune ordered as he snatched that one up and moved it a safe distance away. "Ugh, I can believe that almost happened. I almost missed the first fire."
Ruby blinked at him. "Do fires happen often?"
"Oh, everyday." Jaune answered.
"What!?" Yang yelled for the group.
Jaune spaced out for a moment before (Y/N) coughed to get him back on track. "Oh...oh right, I guess, uh, introductions. These are the paper pleasers. They're probably the most polite, most hospitable Afterans around. Because, that's their purpose."
A villager with a tree design walked up to them, offering some tea. Jaune declined, but (Y/N) took the cup and nodded in thanks. Timid and Baby (Y/N) looked curiously at him as he drank and he handed the cup off to them to sip. Timid seemed to like it while Baby (Y/N) seemed to contemplate whether or not he enjoyed the flavor.
"When Alyx left me to die, Juniper found help, brought me to the Paper Pleasers. They got me back on my feet. They work all day, not just serving travelers, but the land they live on too. They shape it, making it a place of peace. Unfortunately, they're a bit clumsy, but that also makes them predictable."
As he said this, a villager was swept away by a gust. Jaune, without even looking, caught him, placed him down, and gave him some stones. "Told you to hold these."
"Thank you, brave knight!"
Jaune chuckled as the villager waddled away. "Classic Ren."
Weiss gave him a look. "You named them? After your teammates?"
"No. I named them after everybody."
(Y/N) scratched his head nervously as a bright red villager approached them.
"Hello! I am the one called Ruby. What are you?"
The girls all cringed, feeling very uncomfortable all of a sudden.
"Same reaction." (Y/N) muttered.
"Hate that!" Yang declared.
"Okay!" Jaune said as he got back on Juniper. "The disastrous lighting of the warning lantern is dealt with. That gives us just enough time to strategize before the calming pebble tower crumbles, crushing the dam, and wiping away the entire village, so I'm thinking...quick brunch?"
The girls all just stared at him, completely baffled he said all of that with a straight face.
"I could eat!" Little piped up from Ruby's shoulder.
Baby (Y/N) raised his hand. "Me too!"
(Timeskip)
Once they were settled in the tea house, Jaune laid out an intricate map of the acres on the table. "Ah, my life's work. Over the years, Juniper and I have been systematically exploring as many of the nearby acres as possible. If you think you've seen it all here, let me tell you, you haven't."
The same villager with the tea now offered the group some food. The dragons and Little did hesitate to chow down, while everyone else had knots in their stomachs.
Blake's ears were pulled back slightly. "What exactly have you been looking for?"
"Anyone or anything that might be able to take us back home."
"Okay..." Weiss said hesitantly. "And what have you found?"
"Well, so far? Not much, but I got a really, really good feeling about this one acre we saw with a bunch of pyramids."
Yang raised her hands. "Uh, sorry. I'm just trying to make sure I follow: do you have any leads at all? Any other plans?"
"This is the plan. Look, I'm sorry I didn't solve all our problems by myself. I...I can't just run off and let them die! But, between protecting the village, searching for you guys, and searching for an exit, we've got a really tight schedule to keep. Rather, you've got a tight schedule to keep."
"Here we go." (Y/N) mumbled, rolling his eyes.
"I beg your pardon?" Weiss chimed.
Jaune pulled out the dreaded piece of paper. "This is the schedule of catastrophes that befall the village everyday, at least it would if it wasn't for me, Juniper, and (Y/N). With this, you guys can save the village no problem, which means I can go out, and keep searching without any interruptions. (Y/N) could probably do it on his own, but without his tail, his air mobility is shot. With Juniper's speed and my familiarity of the place, we'll find our solution in no time."
The girls just all stared at the giant list as (Y/N) kept munching away.
Timid tugged his sleeve. "Is...is it really that bad?"
"Yup." He answered. "Just give everyone a minute to process."
"Guys, this is it!" Jaune tried to emphasize. "Look, if there's one thing I've learned after all these years, it's that patience pays off. It's why I was able to find (Y/N) after waiting out that Ponderstorm, why we're all finally back together, so I can find us a way out, okay? I-I know it. I know it!"
The little dragon jumped as Jaune banged his fist on the table.
(Y/N) placed his hand on the older male's arm. "Jaune."
"This isn't crazy. I'm not crazy." He cleared his throat. "This isn't crazy, it's easy. You know, we've still got time before the pebble tower falls, how about I saddle up Juniper and show you around myself? Point out some of the clumsier Papers? Heh, just wait till you guys meet Neptune."
As Jaune walked away, Yang picked up the schedule and glanced it over, her expression becoming more somber by the second.
"Damnit Jaune! This isn't a plan, it's a To-Do list."
Blake placed a hand on hers. "He's obviously been through a lot."
"Yeah, we can be frustrated later. Right now, Jaune needs us. (Y/N), how have things been on your end with him?"
The winged boy sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "I've been trying to talk him down, but it's like talking to a brick wall. It was lucky I was with him when we ran into you, because he's been getting me to watch the place while he's out, and like he said, not easy when your entire flight pattern is messed up. And that's not even taking Feral into account. Jaune has some deep wounds on his heart that he's not letting heal, he's just covering it up...with the Paper Pleasers. He's obsessed with keeping them safe."
"So, we need to help him, we just can't count on him." Weiss said. "Then who does that leave us with?"
During this discussion, Little, Timid, and Baby (Y/N) all drifted their gazes over to Ruby, who seemed very agitated. Baby (Y/N) tried to nudge some of the food towards her, but she completely ignored him.
"It's obvious we need someone to guide us." Weiss continued. "Or we could end up thrown back in time, or killed by the tree, or worse."
"Well if that's how everybody-,"
(Y/N) cut off Ruby, also sensing her despair. "I don't think the tree is what Jaune thinks it is."
They all looked at him.
"You don't think it kills people?" Blake asked.
"It definitely causes ascension, I've confirmed that with the villagers, but I don't think ascension is what Jaune thinks it is. I can't explain it, but after talking to some of the Papers about it, I think trying to meddle with ascension is just us, a bunch of outsiders, messing with a fundamental part of this world. Plus, at the end of the day, even if Lewis disappeared at the tree, Alyx escaped."
"He is right." The Paper serving them perked up. "The tree does not kill. That is what we keep trying to tell him, but our hero still insists that we never ascend."
"What?" Weiss said as it placed more food on the table.
"I do not wish to be rude..."
"It's okay." (Y/N) assured. "Just...tell them what you told me."
The Paper slumped. "Our work has been completed for quite some time. Because of us, the land is beautiful, but we have realized that like ourselves, it is also very delicate. We would like to make something that is pleasing, but also resilient! Because of this, we are ready to leave ourselves and merge with the tree, so that it might return us as something new. But, our hero is displeased by this course of action. We tried reaching out to the tree, but our hero forbade it. Then, the wisest of our village suggested breaking from our physical forms, so that winds could carry us back to the tree, but our hero is clever and brave, always keeping us from harm. We have even asked the dragon to burn our physical forms, but the hero forbids him from producing flames. You must understand, the tree does not kill, it resurrects and rebuilds. We do not wish to displease our hero, and I hope I have not displeased you, but we so desperately wish to return to the tree, to return home, so we may carry on with our work."
"Return home, huh?" Yang repeated somberly.
"Oh, do not be sad! The wisest are going to topple the pebble tower today! I am sure it will work this time!"
"What makes you so sure?" Weiss asked.
"Nothing!" The Paper stated. "But inaction will garner nothing in return!"
The villager then waddled away.
"Thanks (Y/N)." (Y/N) said confusingly.
"You are welcome, young dragon!"
With that, the villager left.
Yang pulled one of the teacups to her. "It's so sad. Weird, but sad."
"But it also means, Jaune might not be totally right about the tree." Blake said. "It's not death, it's rebirth."
"From a certain perspective, maybe." Weiss stated.
"I think I remember reading an old story back at Beacon, about why there are seasons." (Y/N) said, looking down at his tea. "Winter is cold, harsh, and deadly. Animals all dread the coming winter because everything dies or goes to sleep, but that was the point. Winter has to arrive to give way to spring, so the world can regain its energy and begin anew. I think that's what ascension is for the Ever After: winter that allows spring to happen."
"Okay, what happened to Lewis then? Jaune said-,"
Yang cut off Weiss. "Jaune wasn't there. The cat wasn't even there! None of us know the full story and we'll never learn anything babysitting these villagers! Like (Y/N) said, at the end of the day, Alyx somehow got back to Remnant after getting to the tree. We need to convince Jaune to let the villagers go."
"But how?" Weiss asked as Timid suddenly perked up.
"Uh, guys?"
Weiss didn't hear him. "He's clearly not all there."
Just then, Jaune reappeared, looking down. Clearly, he had heard a good part of the conversation.
"Is that what you think?"
He stormed off as the others raced after him.
"But what if the cat was telling the truth?" Yang called out.
Baby (Y/N) rubbed his arm. "I don't think I like the cat."
"Okay, maybe not about everything, but tree-,"
"The tree is the last thing you should listen to them about!" Jaune yelled. "They're-they're just doing what they're designed to do, they don't care what happens when you get there!"
"We're not listening to them!" Blake snapped back. "We're listening to the Afterans! And they're telling us that the tree is nothing to be afraid of! That they want to go."
"They don't know what they want! You've seen the way they act, nothing here is that straightforward, okay? Afterans are all either too clever, too stupid, or too crazy to trust!"
The villagers all whimpered at the insult as Weiss stepped forward.
"Then why do you care so much about this village?"
"Because, I can actually protect these people!"
"No, Jaune, you're not protecting them!" (Y/N) yelled. "You're just trying to apply what's normal to you on to this world. We're not on Remnant! This world clearly has its own set of rules, its own system of nature that you're deliberately interfering with! Instead of trying to understand this world, you're just clinging to any sense of familiarity!"
"(Y/N), this world tore into four pieces, one of which is a violent, wild animal!"
"And I don't know why it did that! I'm upset it did that, I'm annoyed by it, but I can't just disregard it because it doesn't make sense to me! Of course it doesn't make sense, this isn't my world! You're the one saying you know more about this place than the people who actually live here! There's clearly a balance to this place that you refuse to accept!"
"Balance!? You think anything here has a rhyme or reason, (Y/N)?!"
The dragon boy folded his arms, gathering his resolve for his next statement. "Jaune, we were told a story once about someone who tried to meddle with a fundamental aspect of nature. Don't forget how that ended for Salem."
The silence that statement caused hung over everyone like a weight ready to drop. No one else would've dared bring up that comparison, but in his eyes, Jaune needed the slap to the face to make him realize what he was doing. In the distance, the house suddenly collapsed. Everyone turned to see a swarm of Jabberwalkers climbing over the wreckage, hissing and roaring. The villagers screamed in terror.
"They found us." Jaune growled before whistling for Juniper. "I am not letting them down."
(Y/N) opened his wings. "I'll make a fire wall to try to keep them at the edge. Timid, you and the little guy round up the villagers in the house furthest away from the fight. Do not get involved in this!"
"Right!" The two boys agreed as their older self and Jaune took off to face the enemy.
"We have to help!" Weiss said. "The Afterans won't be able to ascend if they're eaten."
Blake and Yang also geared up.
"Then we won't run this time." Blake said.
The three girls raced after their brother and friend while Ruby trailed behind. Like he promised, (Y/N) had already set up a wall of fire which slowed down the Jabberwalkers. Jaune, atop Juniper, charged in cleaving through the beast before being saved by the Armor Gigus summon. (Y/N) got back on the ground and began wrestling the monsters hand-to-hand, Blake rushing in to back him up. Giving him the other half of Gambol Shroud, she spun to give him momentum as he planted explosive dust into each Jabberwalker he hit, making them exploded moments after. He let go and rammed into a larger one, knocking it off balance for Yang to sweep its leg. On its back and dazzled, Blake finished it off with a slice. Three more came running from beyond the hill, meeting the trio head on. In synch, the three weaved between each other and through their attacks, landing devastating blows one after the other. One grabbed on to Yang, but Blake roped it by the horn and swung around to its front. (Y/N) then grabbed Gambol Shroud and yanked it down so Yang could knock its lights out. Weiss and Jaune fought alongside each other, Weiss using Jaune's gravity burst to knock his sword back into a monster and knocking another Jabberwalker in the river. It was then that (Y/N) saw Ruby standing there, frozen. The Jabberwalker emerged from the stream to strike at her, only for Ruby to dodge with Petal Burst. It stalked closer as Ruby cocked Crescent Rose, but made no move to attack. The dragon recognized the way her body seemed to lock up and the distant look in her as the creature pounced.
"Ruby!"
(Y/N) tackled the Jabberwalker, wrestling it by the horns and dousing it in fire. It screamed in agony as the boy felt his grip weaken.
"Yang, Blake! Heads up!"
Getting under the beast, he managed to kick towards his other sisters, who promptly took care of it as he ran over to Ruby. She was on the ground, breathing heavily with wide, terrified eyes. Just then, the Jabberwalker jerked and transformed into a familiar face: Neo. She looked at Ruby alone with a cold glare, pointing at her. (Y/N) stood in front of his sister and snarled, baring his teeth. The replica shattered, leaving them alone.
"The Walkers from the market." Blake realized as Yang gritted her teeth.
"But that's...those were more than just her usual tricks. They eat and grow and...how has she gotten so powerful?!"
"She didn't do it by standing around." Jaune snarled as he picked up Crescent Rose. "I know you might not think much about protecting this village, but you can at least help your friends when they're in-,"
He got cut off as one of (Y/N)'s gauntlets struck him on the face, knocking him over. (Y/N) was glaring daggers at the blonde male.
"Jaune, shut your trap!"
As he turned to Ruby, the others realized she was still shaking. Weiss ran to help, (Y/N) held up a wing.
"Don't touch her." He stood face to face with his sister, not touching her, but close enough that should have felt his presence. "Ruby, whatever you're seeing right now, it's not real. It's not happening. Listen to my voice. My voice is real. I'm real, Ruby. I'm right here. The fight's over. We're all fine. It's okay."
Ruby's breathing seemed to become more steady with every word. Eventually, she shook her head and blinked rapidly.
"(Y-Y/N)?"
"It's fine now. Just...take some deep breaths."
Jaune, still not reading the room, annoyedly tossed (Y/N) back his weapon before attempting to give Ruby back Crescent Rose. The hooded girl recoiled at the sight as her beloved weapon fell into the snow. That finally made Jaune realize there was a serious problem.
"Ruby?" Yang asked. "Are you okay?"
The ground rumbled in the distance as the tower fell, crashing into the dam.
"No, no, no, no, what time is it!? No!" Jaune yelled as a wave of water surged through the hole, washing away the villagers who cheered. "No!"
Jaune fell to his knees.
"Oh, Jaune." Blake said comfortingly as his placed a hand on his shoulder.
"I could save them. I'm supposed to save them, and they're dead."
Juniper nudged the boy as the girls looked at each other.
"No, Jaune." Yang reassured. "They're gone, but they're not dead. They'll be back. It's like (Y/N) said: it's part of their natural cycle."
Weiss joined in. "It's what they wanted. We should probably find the other (Y/N)s for now. Right Ruby?"
Ruby was looking away despondently, even as (Y/N) stood at her side. "Why are you asking me?"
They all blinked at her.
"Um, we just-,"
She cut Blake off. "Because I'm the leader? Because I'm just supposed to have something to say? Cause I don't. I mean, why do I have to be the leader anyway. Why do I have to always be the one to pick people up? What about me? No time, right? Gotta get home, gotta put (Y/N) back together, gotta help Jaune, gotta find someone who isn't just gonna screw everything up! Gotta stay positive, right? Smiles all around!" She turned to Blake and Yang. "Maybe even get our feelings sorted out. Good for you, by the way, we're all so happy for you!"
"Ruby, enough." (Y/N) said, getting between her and Yang and Blake.
"Oh sorry, is this a bad time? Are we supposed to be mourning Jaune's make-believe friends?"
"You've got something to say, I'm right here. I've always been here. You need to let it out, well let me have it then! Don't take this out on anyone else."
Ruby rolled her eyes. "Oh, of course you're the one who'd say that! (Y/N), ever the optimist, the empathetic one, the one with all the answers! You can always tell how someone's feeling and you sneakily try to force them to talk about their problems while you bottle up your own because maybe, maybe, it distracts you from your hurt, like Salem hunting you, or what happened at the lab, or that your parents died!"
"What?"
They all turned to see Timid and Baby (Y/N) in a small paper boat. The little guy's eyes were wide and full of tears.
"Wha-what happened to mama and papa?"
Jaune seemed to finally snap.
"They're gone, because of you." He got up and walked towards Ruby. "The Walkers came for you, because Neo hates you! Oh and let's not forget the reason we're in the Ever After in the first place, because of your plan that didn't work! What about you!? It's always about you!"
"ENOUGH!" (Y/N) flared out his wings, sending both of them falling. "WILL BOTH OF YOU FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIVES STOP YELLING AT EACH OTHER WHEN THINGS GO BAD!? YOU KEEP THINKING BEING THE LEADERS MEANS YOU KNOW EVERYTHING, BUT IT DOESN'T! YOU'RE JUST PEOPLE!"
That seemed to finally snap some sense into Jaune, who quickly backpedaled. "I-I'm sorry! I know I'm not...okay. I'm not right, but...how am I supposed to be? I've been alone...for so long. There, on that bridge, I was the only one that could do it! I was the only one! And now...now I have to live with it forever."
(Y/N) blinked as he finally realized what had happened to Penny. The sword through her heart hadn't been Cinder, it was Jaune. He had been forced to end her life. At this point, Yang and Blake had pulled Timid and Baby (Y/N) back on to the shore. The little guy was completely shell shocked while Timid couldn't even look at him.
"Guys." Blake tried to calm everyone down. "I know things are bad, but-,"
"Shut. Up." Ruby growled, crying. "Don't do that. Just don't."
(Y/N) felt a sudden guilt crash into him.
"Ruby, I...I didn't-,"
She took off in a flurry of rose petals, leaving them all in stunned silence, only broken by the bubbling of the rising water, and the choking sobs of Baby (Y/N).

Okay, so I think I can merge the next two episodes into one chapter next because (Y/N) would be with Ruby during her confrontation with Neo, so we'll probably have two more chapters of this volume left, then I'll go back and write Weiss's path for Volumes 4 and 5.