Chapter 17 (R): Kuroyuri, Taking Control, and No Safe Haven

Volume 9 soon people! Be excited!
I own nothing.
Chapter 17: Closure

"Just hold on, uncle Qrow!" Ruby pleaded as the group raced through the woods.
Qrow was deteriorating fast and it didn't take a genius to know that the Huntsman wouldn't last very long if they didn't find help soon. The hooded girl was so worried, she barely seemed to notice the ominous turn the forest seemed to take. Dead trees clawing at the sky surrounded them, and the only thing alive seemed to be moss. Even the sky was dim, as if the sun were too afraid to show itself.
Ren noticed though, and the usually stoic male was starting to crack on the inside, much to Nora's worry. She knew as well as him what was likely lurking in these woods, and she almost wished Ruby hadn't sent (Y/N) ahead to scout alone. It was a bad idea.
"She's not...coming...Tai..." Qrow muttered in a delirious daze before breaking into a coughing fit.
"He's getting worse." Jaune said, anxious.
Ruby kept looking ahead. "It can't be much further! (Y/N), where are you?"
"We've got to be close." Nora said.
Ren glanced back at them. "Without the map, there's no way of knowing. (Y/N)'s our only way to find a path. Still, we have to be close to something."
"Ruby!" A voice called out.
(Y/N) appeared, landing in front of the group.
Nora let out a silent breath of relief. "(Y/N), did you find anything?"
He shook his head. "I found the crossroad to Mistral, but it's mountains all around. I didn't have time to fly around them. The only way is through."
Ruby and Jaune set down Qrow, downtrodden by the news.
"Guys, I don't think all of us can make that climb." Jaune noted.
Ruby looked at her brother. "(Y/N), is there any other place we could go?"
"There was another village near the crossroad." (Y/N) said. "It's name was crossed out though. I think it was...Kuroyuri?"
Ren stiffened at the name, but Ruby didn't notice.
"Maybe we can get help there."
"That village was destroyed years ago." Ren stated.
"But, if it takes us around the mountains, it's the best bet we've got." Jaune insisted.
"It will take too long."
"A town would've had a doctor." Ruby reasoned. "Maybe we can scout it for medicine?"
"Right." Jaune agreed.
(Y/N) felt a surge of anger from Ren, who tried to keep his feelings restrained.
"Ren?"
"We're not going to find anything!" Ren's voice grew increasingly frustrated. "We just have to press on!"
Jaune finally noticed his teammate's attitude. "Ren, why are you acting-,"
"We can split up." Nora butted in. "Ren and I can cut through the mountains while you, Ruby, and (Y/N) take Qrow around through the village."
"No." Jaune firmly said. "We're supposed to stick together. We keep each other safe."
"We don't have time for safe! If we make it to Mistral, we'll bring back help. If we don't, then we'll at least have a better view of the land. Up there we could see if there's somewhere else we can go."
"Then I'm going with you." (Y/N) insisted.
"(Y/N)!" Ruby said.
"If we find help in Mistral or find a better place to go, I'm the only one fast enough to deliver that message back to you! It makes more sense for me to be with them! Qrow doesn't have much time!"
To emphasize his point, the older male began to cough again, groaning in pain. That seemed to convince Jaune, who nodded.
"Okay." He gave Ren a hug. "Just take care of each other."
Ruby did the same for (Y/N) before looking at Nora. "Watch out for him."
"Promise." She said. "Ren, (Y/N), come on."
The trio raced up the mountain, leaving Jaune and Ruby alone.
"They'll be fine, Jaune." Ruby affirmed, seemingly more so trying to convince herself.
Jaune wasn't convinced at all. "You don't know that."
(Timeskip)
Following the two older kids, (Y/N) could sense a palpable anxiety in the air. For quite some time, both Ren and Nora had been surprised by something. Negative emotions swirled in them so intensely that the boy was surprised they weren't attracting Grimm by the dozen.
"We never take the easy path, do we?" Ren said as he came to stop at a gorge.
"Easy's no fun anyways." Nora joked in the most unconvincing manner.
"Ren? Nora?" The dragon boy finally said.
"Something wrong, (Y/N)?" Nora quickly asked.
"I should be asking you that? You two have been acting weird this whole time."
"It's...nothing, just-,"
"Nora, you guys can't lie to me. You've been getting worse the closer we get to Mistral. Ren nearly snapped when I mentioned Kuroyuri!"
"(Y/N), you can't keep using-,"
The boy cut off the older male before he could deflect.
"That's not the problem! You two have been keeping something from all of us, and it's eating you inside!"
They two looked at each other, knowing for a fact they were caught. Ren sighed.
"We came from Kuroyuri. It was wiped out by a Grimm."
(Y/N) blinked, stunned for a second by the bluntness of the answer. Honestly, it shouldn't have been a shock coming from Ren, but still. He rubbed his arm, slightly guilty he had forced them to talk about something so painful.
"Oh...Ren, Nora, I-,"
It was Ren's turn to cut him off, placing a hand on the younger boy's shoulder.
"It's fine. We appreciate how concerned you are for us."
Nora gave them a half smile. "It might be tough, but we've got each other. Now, come on. There's more than one way up a mountain."
The red head led the way, but (Y/N) lingered behind, looking up at Ren.
"Are you sure you'll be okay?"
Ren didn't answer for a moment, before the silence being broken by thunder forced him to speak.
"We should keep moving."
"Hey!" Nora called to them. "There's wind blowing out of this cave!"
The boys ran to meet her at the mouth of the cave. Indeed a steady breeze was flowing through.
"Think it could lead to the peak?" Nora asked.
"One way to find out." (Y/N) said before a scrap of fabric hit Ren directly in the face, causing the other two to hold back laughter. "Yes, yes, very funny."
Ren pulled the fabric from his face before he froze, seeing what was in his hand.
"Hey, what's wrong?" Nora asked.
(Y/N) looked at the fabric. It was a flag with a lotus symbol on it. It looked very familiar.
"I've seen that somewhere."
"It's the symbol for Shion Village." Ren explained.
"Shion?" Nora repeated. "But that's...that's the village where we found the Huntsman. It's weeks away from here!"
Ren threw the flag and raced into the cave, nearly knocking (Y/N) over in the process.
"Hey!"
"Ren, wait!" Nora called after him.
Running after him, they found Ren staring blankly ahead. (Y/N) skidded as he saw what the stoic male was looking at.
"Oh my gosh."
It was like a graveyard of weapons, each in a various state of rusting. Giant hoof prints and what looked to be bloodstains littered the ground as well.
"W-what made this?" The boy asked.
Ren didn't answer, walking towards an arrow and picking it up with an uncomfortable familiarity. Nora walked up to him with a somber expression before (Y/N) pointed towards a nearby opening in the cave.
"Guys..."
The older kids watched as the tree shook and the birds scattered, indicating something was moving, and heading straight for Kuroyuri.
"No." Ren mumbled in fear.
Nora took his hand as a deafening screech filled the air. (Y/N) clawed at his ears.
"What was that!?"
"We need to get to the others." Nora said.
Given the severity in her voice, (Y/N) didn't question her, even if he was a little annoyed she didn't let him fly ahead alone to warn Ruby and Jaune (considering that the whole point of him going with them.). Still, he was hardly going any slower as Nora and Ren ran as if death itself was chasing them. In no time at all, they ran and flew through the gates of Kuroyuri, Ren muttering.
"No, not again."
Ignoring the ominous tone, (Y/N) called out as he saw other two members of their group and Qrow slumped against a tree.
"Ruby! Jaune!"
They turned, shocked to see them, Jaune immediately going for his sword.
"What are you guys doing here!?" Ruby yelled.
"Something's coming!" (Y/N) answered, flying up to her. "We had to warn you!"
"Did you hear that noise?" Jaune asked as Ruby hugged her brother. "What was that?"
"Heard it? My ears nearly bled because of it!" Then, (Y/N) paused. "...wait, do you hear that?"
In the distance, he could make out two distinctive sounds which were growing louder: hoofbeats and something being dragged.
Ren's eyes widened as the sound filled the air, sinking to his knees and shaking.
"No..."
"Ren!" Ruby called out. "What is it?!"
"Wait, I hear it too now?"
"No..."
Nora looked to her companion, completely petrified. "Ren?"
(Y/N) turned to see a giant, shadowy figure emerge from the woods. A skeletal horse spewing black smoke from its nostrils as its rider was slumped over. Rider being a loose term as really, it was the torso of a humanoid Grimm seemingly fused to the back of the horse as its elongated arms dragged on either side of its body. Various weapons were embedded into the torso's back. In an unnatural jerking motion, it pulled up, revealing the Grimm's skull-like face and horns, and its mouth looked like it was sown together. It twitched erratically, letting out hoarse hissing. (Y/N) just stood petrified at the sight of the horrifying creature as the older kids charged the beast, only to be batted away like flies. The creature lazily stomped in front of them before letting out a piercing shriek that again nearly deafened the dragon. When it was done, it flopped its torso to look at them before turning its sights on Qrow. (Y/N)'s eyes widened as he finally regained control of his and ran towards the Huntsman. The creature's limb stretched unnaturally to strike him, but (Y/N) dodged, making it to Qrow and letting his adrenaline give him the strength to awkwardly drag Qrow. The Grimm charged, only to stop a few feet away, wildly looking around as if he had vanished. Looking down, it had seemed all of the color had drained from his body, save for the occasional flicker of pink. Glancing back, he saw Ren kneeling on the ground, concentrating.
"Get him to safety!" The older boy ordered as Nora and Ruby got the Grimm's attention.
As fast as he could, (Y/N) pulled Qrow away from the fighting towards the ruined buildings. At the very least, it would make it trickier for the Grimm to locate him. He found the remains of a covered bench that would have to do and laid the Huntsman against it. As (Y/N) turned to head back to the fight, Qrow grabbed his arm, wordlessly twisting it around to show off the charm bracelet. The boy nodded back, understanding.
He flew back into the fray, digging his blades into the creature's arms as it grappled Ren's.
"Guys! Keep moving! Go in a circle!" Jaune yelled.
Following his advice, the team encircled the Grimm, unloading into it as its size and body type made it difficult to hit the fast moving targets. Jaune, being without a ranged weapon, eventually went in to strike at the horse's back leg. The creature noticed and bucked at him, but the blonde had already been yanked back by collar by (Y/N).
"What are you doing!?" Ruby demanded as Jaune sheathed his sword.
In the next instance, the shield sheath suddenly fused into the blade, bulking it up. Ruby grinned as she and (Y/N) began firing Dust shots at the Grimm. The horse part reared up as Jaune delivered a fierce slice to its hindquarters. The horse head screamed and leapt away as the rider part straightened and began spinning its arms like a top. Everyone was knocked away by the sudden attack, (Y/N) rolling head first besides Ruby. The creature wasn't done as the spines along its back elongated as it threw its head back in another wail. This time, everyone gripped their ears as the dragon fell to his knees, trying to cover his head.
"Make it stop!" He screamed, his claws nearly piercing his own skin as he tried to drown out the sound.
Seeing this, Ren ran up the tree in the center of the courtyard and began firing, making the Grimm shut up. Unfortunately, it shot one of its arms out and pinned the boy to a building on the far side.  As it pulled its other arm up, Nora began running towards the Rose siblings.
"Ruby!"
Nodding, the hooded girl began to spin before launching Nora as the creature's other hand shot at Ren. In the nick of time, Nora intercepted the attack, hanging off her hammer as the creature dangled her a little above Ren. Nora stopped struggling for a moment, noticing her partner looking up at her, crossing her legs with a blush.
"Stop looking!"
"Gah! Sorry."
The Grimm twitched before slamming Nora to the ground twice before letting her go. Ren tried desperately to get out of the creatures before finally being let loose thanks to a fire/sword combo to the rear of the Grimm, curtesy of Jaune and (Y/N). The black haired male charged with a rage (Y/N) never seen in him before. Even as he was knocked back, Ren still insisted on a reckless charge.
"Ren, knock it off!" Jaune yelled.
The warning came too late as Ren was grabbed by the ankle and swung around like a rag doll, knocking Storm Flower from his hands as he was launched towards Nora. Ren struggled to get to his knees. The Grimm scraped the ground with it's front leg as it raced at the duo.
"Nora! Ren! Get out of the way!" Jaune yelled.
Time seemed to slow for (Y/N) as he saw the beast race for his friends. Would he be powerless to stop this? Was he going to lose even more people in his life?
No. Not this time.
The dragon unfurled his wings and shot into the path of the Grimm, rooting himself in the ground. The creature slid as it reared up to stomp him.
Ruby stretched out her arm and screamed. "(Y/N)!"
The dragon did not move. Remembering Qrow's words, he called forth the memory of that night in the cafeteria, the feeling of fire oh so like Yang. Pushing out his arms, he caught the beast's legs, stopping it dead in its track. There was no sound beyond (Y/N)'s heavy breathing as he fought against the weight of the creature, the charm Yang had given him glowing brightly in the dark.
"NORA! REN! GO!" He ordered.
Ren pulled himself to his feet, obviously going to charge the creature, only for Nora to tackle him to the ground and under some buildings. Seeing them safe, (Y/N) jerked the Grimm upwards just enough that he could slip under its body and scramble back. Jaune rushed in to distract the beast, but the Grimm was more interested in the dragon, shooting an arm out to grab him. Ruby with her Semblance scooped the boy up and got him a safe distance away.
"Are you okay!?" She said worriedly as he was breathing raggedly.
He nodded, feeling a bit faint. "Don't worry." He pulled up the bracelet, showing the charm had stopped glowing. "I think I can control it now."
Nodding, the two began pelting the creature who was now trained on Jaune. Eventually, Nora and Ren re-emerged. The black haired male seemed to be doing much better now as they raced over to stand in a group.
"Ren." Ruby called. "Jaune and I can take care of its arms."
(Y/N) walked over to Nora, his blades now drawn. "Nora and I got the horse."
Ren nodded. "Then I'll take care of the rest."
With that, (Y/N) flew Nora up the side of a building as Jaune and Ruby worked to pin the Grimm down. Jumping from roof to roof, Ruby baited the creature to throw an arm, piercing it through with Crescent Rose. The creature reared back as it tried to pull its arm free, only to be stabbed in the side with a knife Ren was carrying. Tossing his shield to Ren, Jaune taunting the creature to strike him, only for Ren to tackle the appendage with the shield.
"Now!"
Jaune drew his sword and impaled the appendage just as Ruby had.
Ren looked up. "Nora! (Y/N)!"
The two nodded to each other as (Y/N) summoned the power of Yang's charm once more. With a yell, he threw Nora towards the beast, allowing her to slam her hammer directly into the horse head as the Grimm flailed and screamed. (Y/N) floated back down, sinking to his knees as his Aura gave out. The Semblance might have been useful, but it sure did eat at his Aura. Ren walked up to the Grimm, pulling the knife from its side as he walked up to its face. It shrieked angrily at him, but Ren remained calm.
"For my mother."
He sliced off the first arm which whipped around like a dying snake before grabbing its horn to steady it.
"For my father."
The other arm went as (Y/N) watched it all unfold. The torso could only squirm and scream.
"For all those that you've slain."
He made a swallow slice at the ribs, seemingly draining the Grimm of its energy as its head hung low.
"For myself."
With that, Ren sliced the creature's head clean off, finally putting an end to it as its body was enveloped by smoke that rose into the air. Ren finally let go of the breath he was holding in before being tackled by Nora. (Y/N) smiled before he suddenly felt light headed and the area began to spin. As he collapsed, he heard what sounded like airships in the distance.
(Timeskip)
When the dragon woke up, he felt material beneath his head, finger running through his hair, and he heard humming. Opening his eyes,  he saw he was in a bed and Ruby was next to him, writing on a pad with one hand.
"Ruby?" He moaned.
She turned to him with a smile. "(Y/N)!"
She hugged him, pulling him upright as he groaned.
"Where are we?"
"Haven. The Grimm cloud caught the attention of some patrolling airships and they brought us here."
'What about Qrow?"
"Qrow is going to be fine. So are you. You had us pretty worried when you fainted, but the doctor said you just overtaxed your Semblance."
He moaned, a little embarrassed. "Yeah, I know how to activate it. Now I just need to make sure it doesn't burn through my Aura so quickly."
Ruby chuckled. "I guess we're just gonna have to start practicing with it." She took his hand. "But seriously, stop scaring me like that."
He bashfully grinned. "I don't think that's an option anymore, Ruby. I'm going to fight, no matter what."
She sighed before giving him a sad smile. "I guess you are growing up now. Oh well, I should probably just watch you like a hawk so you stay out of trouble."
"Me!? You get into just as much trouble as I do!"
"I do not!"
"Do so, Ruby!"
"Maybe I should ask my dad and see who he thinks is the bigger troublemaker!"
"Go ahead! Tai is so gonna say it's you!"
"Will not!"
"Will too!"

Thought I'd end it on a laugh. Volume 9 does not look like it's going to be happy.