Chapter 14 (W): Down In Mantle

I own nothing.
Chapter 14: Instincts vs Orders

"A training mission?" (Y/N) repeated as Clover handed him a communicator.
It had been a few days since visiting Weiss, and, after taking Klein's advice about tea and lavender scented candles, the young boy had been sleeping a little
better. He didn't usually sleep the whole night, but the dark circles under his eyes were noticeably lighter. He had come down to the training hall this morning for his normal schedule, only for Clover to quickly lead him away and explain that today would be a real test of his skills.
"This is an actual mission, (Y/N)." The older male corrected. "A Sabyr is loose down in Mantle. It's a small one, so it's been giving our usual scouts the run around. You've got higher maneuverability in tight quarters than anyone, so this will be a good chance to show what you've learned in the past few months."
"Okay, but if we're going down to Mantle, why are we walking in the opposite direction of the hangers?"
Clover smiled, opening a large door. "You didn't think we were sending you on your first mission under equipped, did you?"
Stepping inside, (Y/N) saw several people rushing around what looked to be a fully tech-out forage. Blasters, swords, hammers, all sorts of weapons lined the walls as several more were being upgraded by machines. A woman dressed like a cross between a blacksmith and a scientist walked up to them.
"Clover, punctual as usual. I assume you and the recruit are here to pick up the new gear?"
Clover nodded. "Yes ma'am. (Y/N), this our current Weapons Master."
The Weapons Master groaned. "I keep telling you to stop calling me such an outdated term. I didn't even oversee the forging of his weapons."
"Yes, but you authorize all forging."
She gave him a dirty look before turning (Y/N). "Follow me, young man. I want to do a final fit before we send you out."
The boy nodded and followed her to a nearby workbench, a pair of shiny gauntlets laying on top of it. They looked strikingly familiar to Yang's and (Y/N) felt a twinge of comfort seeing them.
"Are...are those really mine?"
The Weapons Master smiled. "For you and you alone. Give them a try."
(Y/N) scrambled to get the weapons on, remembering how Yang would put on her Ember Cilica. Once they were on, (Y/N) bounced on the balls on his feet, throwing a few quick jabs to test the weight. He beamed in delight.
"They're perfect!"
"Good to know. I was worried we had gotten the weight wrong, but it seems Specialist Schnee was well informed."
He glanced at her in shock. "Winter had these made for me?"
"Yes. She was quite detailed in her request: what type of weapon you'd be most comfortable with, suitability for your Faunus traits, weight, size, etc. She was very meticulous in her design choice. She also mentioned you'd appreciate a certain design choice."
The Weapons Master pulled him over to a set of training dummies and urged him into a fighting stance. (Y/N) pulled his arms back, he heard an unmistakable clicking and smirked as he punched forward. A shot came from the weapon as the training dummy was sent flying back thanks to a burst of lighting Dust.
The Weapons Master pulled out a holographic checklist. "Shotgun radius is functional, with no movement hinderance. You will be restricted to lightning Dust for stunning purposes for now, but I'm sure you'll be able to move up once you're ready. Next, let's test out the blades."
"Blades?" He repeated, before noticing them on the sides of his weapons.
Pulling his arms in, the Weapons Master talked him through the process of drawing them, making him test out both length settings before sheathing them and scribbling down notes.
"Blades are functional. Possible upgrades to shorten drawing time should be considered. I'll have Dr. Polendina review the blueprints."
"Wait, Polendina?" (Y/N) said. "Like Penny?"
The name stung his heart as he said it while Clover's expression cooled, as if he didn't want (Y/ ) to know about it. Nevertheless, the look on the dragon's face cemented he wasn't going to drop the subject.
"That's right. I forgot you met the good doctor's invention at the Vytal Tournament."
"Can I talk to him?" (Y/N) asked, almost pleaded.
Clover shook his head. "Not today. You've got a mission. And you still aren't fully suited up."
The dragon hung his head in disappointment as the Ace Op nodded to the Weapons Master. The woman walked over to a closet, opening to reveal an Atlas Military uniform that was clearly (Y/N)'s size. He walked up to it and began to feel the fabric and it itched under his hand.
"Your target might be a Sabyr, but if you're going to be trusted with a mission, you might as well look the part." Clover said, his words attempting to sound encouraging but coming off as hollow. "Suit up, (Y/N), and head over to the hanger to meet up with Harriet and Marrow."