Chapter 15 (W): Tipping Point and Punished

I own nothing.
Chapter 15: Breaking Point

(Y/N) took a deep breath to center himself as he meditated. General Ironwood had designated today to be a low energy training day primarily focused on (Y/N) reflecting on his training and perhaps even beginning to unravel the mystery behind his Semblance. Since he had awoken in that hospital in Vale, the nature of his Semblance had been a complete mystery. (Y/N) had no memory of what had occurred, only a loud ringing in his ears, and the only other witness besides his attacker, a terrorist by the name of Adam Taurus, had been Blake. The cat Faunus had only mentioned (Y/N) attacking wildly, ruthlessly, and his ability far exceeding what he had been able to replicate in training, but the exact trigger was lost on her. In the beginning, Ironwood hypothesized it was a last resort Semblance, only manifesting when (Y/N) was on the brink of his endurance, but the Ace Ops and Winter had pushed to the point of exhaustion many times, some even knocking him unconscious, yet still, no boost to his ability. Vine had suggested (Y/N) should meditate about every detail regarding the event and he perhaps would be able to figure out how he had been able to harness it, but as the young dragon had said repeatedly, he didn't remember anything!
"Gah!" (Y/N) screamed, flopping on his back as he felt the familiar sensation of a headache hit him. "I give up!"
"That's hardly an acceptable response."
Tilting his head back, (Y/N) saw Winter walking into the training room with her usual professionalism.
"Hi Winter."
"Sit up properly." She ordered before taking a seat across from him. "What is your objective currently?"
"I'm trying to remember how I used my Semblance." The boy explained, sitting up straight. "Thus far, I've got nothing but a headache."
Winter nodded. "Do you remember what I told Weiss in the garden at Beacon during the Vytal Festival?"
"A Semblance is like a muscle, it needs to be trained." The boy repeated.
"Correct. However, that was perhaps a dangerous understatement on my part. Semblances are far more complex than that. We Schnee's have a hereditary Semblance, so we have a better understanding of its capabilities even before they unlock. For the rest of the population, the unpredictability of a Semblance makes the first uses of it critical. You must dissect each part of your first use of it before you can begin to utilize it correctly."
"I keep telling all of you, I don't remember anything that happened! I was next to Yang, trying to get her up, next thing I know, I'm awake in the hospital."
Winter sighed. "Let's start with what we know from your frie-...other sister's account: despite your injuries and exhaustion, you were able to perform beyond your maximum capabilities at the time, you even produced fire hot enough to melt stone. As such, your Semblance likely relates to ability enhancement."
"What about that guy? Everyone keeps saying that my Semblance only worked because he threatened me."
"Forget about that for now." Winter stated. "That is what pushed your body to unlock your Semblance, but it isn't necessarily the trigger to make it work. Now, power enhancement Semblances aren't unheard of, your sister has such a Semblance. However, typically, they tend to have drawbacks. For example, your sister's Semblance relies upon her taking damage and returning. I believe your Semblance drains your Aura rapidly."
(Y/N) tilted his head. "You think?"
"Yes. Your confrontation with Adam Taurus occurred quickly, and you immediately lost consciousness once the danger had passed. In addition, it would also explain your headaches. Your Semblance eating away at your Aura without some from of control is damaging your body. You have to learn to concentrate on a key aspect of it to prevent it from wasting your Aura."
"Okay, but how do I do that?"
"For now, you need to figure out the intricacies of your ability, but in the future, I would suggest utilizing a form of conduit."
"A what?" The boy asked.
Winter pulled out one of her sabers. "Have you noticed how Weiss and I utilize our blades to form glyphs? Our blades are conduits, items meant to help channel and focus a Semblance. We could theoretically use our Semblance without them, but it simplifies the process and prevents us from wasting energy."
(Y/N) nodded, starting to understand. "So, if I channel my energy through my weapon, I could use my Semblance without getting a headache?"
"I wouldn't use your gauntlets." Winter placed the saber between them and took the boy's hand, placing it on the blade. "A blade is precise, sturdy, and refined, elements best suited for a conduit. Your weapons, as well as your fighting style, require fluidity and powerful output. You need to find a conduit best suited to channeling your Semblance."
The boy sighed. "And to do that, I need to figure out how it works. So I'm back to square one. Great."
"I know it is frustrating, but patience and discipline yield results. Like all other Huntsmen, with time, you'll learn to adapt your capabilities to suit your needs. However, for now, that will have to wait. You and the General are due for the charity concert soon enough and you need to be presentable. Return to your quarters and prepare."
"Right, I will in a minute. Thanks Winter."
She stood up and began to walk out, stopping at the doorway. "If you are interested in additional training, you need only request it of me."
He smiled at her. "I will, thanks again."
The older Schnee nodded, leaving the boy alone in the training room once more. (Y/N) laid back and stared at the ceiling, pondering the advice given to him. Finding a conduit to channel his admittedly unstable Semblance did seem reasonable, but again, finding a suitable one all came back to figuring out just what his Semblance was. Frustrated, he threw his arms up before a familiar glint caught his eye. Hold out his arm, (Y/N) saw his charm bracelet dangling from his wrist. The way it glowed under the unnatural lighting of the room made him think:
Did he use a conduit that night at Beacon?