Chapter 13 (W): The Next Step and Remembrance

I own nothing.
Chapter 13: New Normal

(Y/N) had said very little on the long trek back to Atlas, mostly keeping to himself and staring vacantly out the window as they crept closer to their destination. He had been on an airship before, but something about this time felt so...unnatural. Every inch they flew twisted his stomach a little more and made him feel queasy. Some would write it off as airsickness, but deep down, he knew that it was just how his body was reacting to the ever growing distance between him and his other sisters. Though he had put on a brave face, in truth (Y/N) had fought with himself fiercely over this decision. Qrow had made it sound like him going to Atlas was the end of the line, a no going back scenario, and he had caught more than a few hush whispers about the treatment of Faunus in Remnant's most technologically advanced kingdom, but with Blake gone and Yang and Ruby on the mend, was there much of a choice? Weiss would be all alone in this place, and he didn't want that, especially if her father was as much of a creep as the boy thought he was.
Then again, how much good could he really do?
Despite his, let's say lack of social graces, Ironwood did see (Y/N) struggling with the decision he had made. In a different situation, a man under less pressure may have felt guilty for basically scaring an already traumatized child to abandon most of his support network, but without Ozpin, the General was the only one left to make the best call they could regarding the boy. It didn't matter what (Y/N) had been through, their enemies would surely subject him to more to either sway him to their side or break him down, and (Y/N) had to be ready to face that.
It was what was best for him at the moment.
As they approached their destination, Ironwood again attempted some form of reassurance towards the boy.
"(Y/N), come here."
The boy looked up from his spot at a port window. He was a bit confused as to why the General was now calling him, but he did as he was told and stood next to the older male at the helm.
"I'm told it's an impressive sight the first time you see. I've had that privilege my whole life, so perhaps it's different for me."
"What is?" (Y/N) asked, tilting his head.
Ironwood motioned with his head for the boy to look forward. (Y/N) did so and was left stunned at the sight. It was sunset by now, adding to the sight of the kingdom before them. A city in the sky laid before them, shimmering white against the backdrop of an orange, red, and pink sky. Several jets scrambled about in the sky as they approached. It was a majestic sight, but (Y/N) still felt his nerves jitter. There was a tension in the air as they approached, and though Atlas was a sight to behold, they city within its shadow was less so, to say the least.
"Welcome to Atlas, (Y/N)." Ironwood greeted.
"It sure is something." The dragon answered hesitantly. "The city down there...that's Mantle, right?"
The General nodded. "Yes. You know your maps."
"Weiss and Blake made me study all the major cities in Remnant. They said it would make me a better Huntsman when I got older."
"Very wise of them. We'll make sure to expand your knowledge more during your stay here. For now, our destination is there." He pointed at a particular campus that stood out, even against the rest of the city. "Atlas Academy."
After getting clearance to land, their airship settled in the courtyard. Exiting the ship, (Y/N) kept close to Ironwood as all around them, soldiers and students alike seemed to be running around in a panic. Considering what had just happened in Vale, it wasn't a surprise that everything was an absolute mess. Climbing up the steps to the school, (Y/N) saw two people waiting for them, one of whom he recognized. Winter Schnee was on standby, and next to her was a tall brunette man with green eyes.
"General." The two greeted with a salute as Ironwood walked between them.
"Status report." The general ordered.
"A chain of command has been established, but there is still disorganization in the lower ranks." Winter relayed. "We've managed to settle most of the uproar in Atlas, but Mantle is in a complete panic."
"Grimm raids are at an all time high." The male reported. "Most of it has been kept out of the city, but the walls are taking heavy fire and Grim are starting to leak in. Officials are requesting reinforcement of the barriers as well as additional men manning the walls."
"Send down more Sentries." Ironwood said. "Unfortunately, we can't spare many resources for what's to come. Have them focus on the turrets, that should keep the Grimm at bay for now. I'll need to gather the council and initiate a Dust embargo. For now, we need to pool as many resources as we can. Clover, get your team up here. There are things we need to discuss."
"Right away, sir."
A sneeze caught the attention of the adults as they turned to see the boy who had been awkwardly tailing them. (Y/N), not used to or built for the cold, was shivering beneath his own wings. Feeling her big sister instincts take over for a second, Winter walked up to him and immediately put a coat on (Y/N). It was identical to other military jackets the Atleasean soldiers were wearing, making the boy stick out less in the crowd (something he wasn't sure how to feel about), though it was a bit large on him. Still, it was warm, and it even had been modified to let his wings out.
He smiled up at the eldest Schnee. "Thanks, Winter."
"Weiss told me you have a deficiency with the cold. That coat is lined with fire Dust, to keep you insulated until we can get a proper uniform for you." Her expression softened a bit. "I was told you fought well in the battle. I'm sure you'll be able to hone your skills during your time here."
"I'll learn as much as I can. I promise."
Winter nodded before turning back to Ironwood. The General motioned to the man next to him.
"(Y/N), this is Clover Ebi. He's the leader of my most elite unit. He, his team, and Winter will primarily handle your training. Listen to what they have to teach you."
"Yes sir."
Clover smiled. "It's good to meet you, (Y/N). General Ironwood has told me plenty about you. I'm sure this is an adjustment, but I'm confident you won't find better training than here."
"Uh, okay..." Winter gently nudged the boy, urging him silently to be more respectful. "I mean, yes sir."
Clover nodded. "We'll make a fine soldier out of you yet."
(Y/N) flinched as Ironwood and Clover walked away. mumbling under his breath. "Huntsman..."
Winter placed a calming hand on his head. "You'll be fine. I've already made a promise to my sister to look after you, and I intend to keep it."
"Thanks, Winter."
"Though, don't mistake that for letting you slack off in your training. Weiss and her team might have laid the foundation of abilities, but I intend to make certain it is strong."
"I'll do my best."
"I'm sure you will." Winter then started down a different hallway than the one Ironwood and Clover had followed. "Let's get you settled in. You've had a long journey and I'm certain you're tired."
As if to prove her point, the boy let out a long, loud yawn, blushing and laughing nervously when he finally finished. Winter smiled softly before leading towards the dorm side of the campus. While it was a bit less rigid, the overall atmosphere was still rather stifling, making (Y/N) unable to completely relax. Winter open the door to the room closest to the exit. It was simple, clean, but overall barren.
"This will be your quarters. The staff area is down the hall in case you need assistance. In addition," She handed him a Scroll, though one that didn't look as advanced as his sisters'. "This is for emergency contact only. The General's, Clover's, and my contact are the only ones listed. Have it on you at all times."
"I will." The boy assured, stepping in.
Winter looked at him, sensing his hesitation. Some part of her knew this wasn't right. (Y/N) had been through too much to be separated from his support system, but if General Ironwood said this was for his safety, she would follow his lead. She would also hold to her promise to Weiss to look after him. (Y/N) wasn't her blood, but he treated Weiss like family and made her feel loved, and to Winter, that made him kin. She had already failed one brother, she wouldn't fail this one.
"Get some rest. Your training regiment begins tomorrow. I'll collect you in the morning."
"Okay. Thanks, Winter."
The older woman turned and left, the door shutting behind her, leaving the small boy alone. Despite the relatively small size of the room, (Y/N) felt incredibly small himself. Exhausted, he crawled into bed, curling up into the corner. It wasn't nearly as comfy as the ones back at Beacon. With a heavy heart, he gazed down at the charm bracelet, clutching it close to his chest.
This was only temporary. This was only temporary.