Chapter 20 (B): Downfall and Haven's Fate

I own nothing
Chapter 20: What Matters
The ship ride over to Mistral was uneventful, all things considered. There were, mercifully, no Grimm attacks and training went off without a hitch, save for (Y/N) having to give the herbs Finn gave him to poor Lou. The captain had been more than happy to acquaint everyone on board, especially the 2 huntsman and junior huntsman. They were cutting it close though. In order to avoid any White Fang member being tipped off about the large number of Faunus docking in the city, the defense force had arrived in the city near dusk. Ghira had already sent another messenger to warn the council and the Mistral police about the attack, on the suggestion of Kali, and they had received a return message that the police force would stand with them when they arrive. It also, unfortunately, informed them the original messenger never arrived and (Y/N) had a sinking suspicion Yuma, the bat faunus he had fought, had something to do with. Whatever the case, Saber promised to deal with it when they returned.
Upon arriving in Mistral, the force was greeted by the police and were gathered back at the station discretely in order to go over the plan. According to Ilia, the actual White Fang Force was made up of only a few members, so they would have them vastly outnumbered. However, when Ilia also mentioned a separate group that Adam had worked with during the Fall of Beacon, (Y/N), Blake, and Sun quickly realized they'd likely have to fight Cinder and her crew as well. (Y/N) wasn't afraid, he just wanted to pay them back for everything they had done, and for everything they had destroyed.
"They'll have explosives," Ilia informed everyone. "I can disarm them, but I need a distraction,"
"I'll give you one," Blake volunteered. Ghira stood up.
"Blake, you don't have to face him by yourself,"
"She won't be," the little dragon said. "I'll be right there with her,"
"(Y/N), Adam has a personal vendetta against you," Sienna reminded him. "Are you sure you want to confront him?"
The boy smirked and pounded his fist together.
"If he wants to pick a fight with me, I'll give him a fight!"
Blake didn't seem too thrilled at the prospect, however, she realized there was no point in arguing.
Everyone broke off into their groups: Sun, Ghira, Sienna, and Lou would lead the ground forces while Ilia disarmed the bombs. Kali and police force would offer aerial cover and Blake and (Y/N) would keep Adam distracted.
As the moon shined high in sky, the two faunus stealthily ran across the roof tops of Haven Academy. (Y/N) would've admired the scenery, but they had a mission. Eventually, the haunted on a roof overlooking the main hall of the academy. A group of White Fang stood guard, Adam among them. (Y/N) dug his claws into the roof at the sight of the man who had caused Blake and Yang so much pain. He wanted so desperately to beat him down, but he restrained himself. He heard Blake stagger a breath and saw her looking at the red headed male. He placed a hand on her shoulder. She jumped, likely forgetting he was there, as he offered her a warm smile.
"He won't win this time. We'll fight him together,"
She nodded before steeling her expression.
"Are there anymore of them?"
(Y/N) peeked his head up and used his soul sight.
"Nope. Looks like Ilia took out the other ones! Wait..."
"What? What is it?"
"I think there are some more people inside,"
"How many?"
"I don't know. I-it's hard to tell from here,"
He strained to try and get a better look. He couldn't definitively figure an exact number, but he new most of them seemed somewhat familiar. Blake sighed.
"If they're enemies, we'll deal with them all the same,"
Right as she said this, a huge male with what appeared to be large dust crystals impaled in his arms, came through the wall and rolled to a halt in plain view of the White Fang.
"What's going on in there?" A grunt asked.
The giant male stood up as if nothing had happened.
"None of your concern," his voice was almost in human as he took out more dust crystal (Fire judging by the color) and jammed them into his arms before roaring. Adam turned his back to his ally.
"Stay focused! Our friends are almost done here,"
As he began to step away, Blake and (Y/N) perched themselves in view of them. Blake called out.
"Adam!"
"Blake?" He questioned.
"Who is that?" The large male asked, glancing at Blake. He then looked at (Y/N) and there was a hint of recognition in his eyes. Blake ignored him.
"Stand down!"
The White Fang pointed their weapons at the two before Adam spread his arms.
"Wait!" He then laughed. "To think that I went through so much trouble to find both of you, only to have you deliver yourselves to me,"
"This isn't what's right for the faunus!"
"Surrender and this will end peacefully," (Y/N) warned.
"You're both wrong and you can't stop us,"
"No, we can't," Blake agreed. "Not by ourselves,"
"That's why they didn't come alone!" Sun announced, startling the White Fang.
The faunus of Menagerie revealed themselves, baring weapons with the old emblem of the White Fang. Sun stood in the lead with Lou, both looking smug.
"What?!" Adam hissed.
"Who's there?!" Another member demanded.
"Your brothers and sisters," Ghira answered beside Sienna as they marched with their unit.
One of the White Fang lowered his weapon, recognizing a face in the crowd.
"M-Mata?"
The ram was in front and softened his stance.
"Please...stop this,"
Adam didn't seem to care that they were woefully outnumbered or that his men were hesitant in fighting their fellows.
"Make no mistakes, brothers! These are our enemies! And we will not let them ruin-,"
He was cut off by the sound of the police ships which now circled the school. A spotlight centered on Adam as a female officer spoke through a speaker, Kali beside her.
"Adam Taurus. This is the Mistral Police Force! Lower your weapons and surrender peacefully,"
Blake and (Y/N) descended from the roof as Adam faced them.
"How!? How did you do this!?"
Blake shook her head.
"Adam, it's over,"
He glanced around, and (Y/N) could tell he wouldn't win. He then quickly pulled out a device.
"Then it's over for all of us," the other members flinched away.
"Hey wait!"
Adam pushed the button, but nothing happened. He was confused and pushed it several more times.
"What are you doing?" One member demanded. "Trying to get us all killed!?"
Adam grabbed him by the collar and yanked him.
"I am making humanity pay for what they've done!"
(Y/N) smiled at him smugly.
"Not today, bullhead. We knew about your bombs before hand,"
"We sent someone over to confirm your explosives," Blake explained. "And once we did, she disarmed them.
Ilia stepped into the light, triumphantly revealing the cords of the disarmed explosives. Adam turned to the large human.
"What do we do!?" He cracked his knuckles and dusted himself off.
"This...is your business. Not mine. Fix it. And Taurus," he glanced at (Y/N). "The boy comes with us, alive,"
"Huh?" (Y/N) said to himself, not understanding. Did this guy know him? Blake didn't seemed too focused on the comment before addressing her ex again.
"We told you, Adam. It's over,"
The bull faunus growled and charged them. (Y/N) flew up as Blake used her semblance to dodge right as he slashed her. She brought her hands up and slammed her fists down on his head, sending him skidding. (Y/N) landed next to her.
"Nice hit, sis,"
Adam sat up.
"Kill them!"
The White Fang opened fire on the Defense Force, but became easily overwhelmed as the people of Menagerie fought back. (Y/N) kept his eye on the big guy, not trusting him to stand by during all this, only to see him impaled through the side with some sort of ethereal stinger and dragged back inside. Both Blake and (Y/N) were curious by it and followed inside the destroyed hall.
They were met by wonderfully familiar faces.
Ruby, Yang (rocking a metal arm), Weiss (who had a giant awesome Queen Lancer summon behind her), Jaune, Ren, Nora, and Qrow were all there looking at them in disbelief, and a bit of happiness. Emerald and Mercury were also there, along with another faunus, but (Y/N) couldn't have cared less in this moment. He just stared at his family, unable to find words. Blake did though.
"Yang?"
She stared back at the two of them, but Ruby seemed to snap out of it as she turned to an opening between the staircases.
"Yang! Go!" She ordered.
Yang bolted for it. Emerald dove at her.
"No!"
She missed and Mercury grabbed at her, only for (Y/N) to pounce on him, sending them both rolling about on the ground as Weiss put up a wall of ice to end their pursuit. (Y/N) decked Mercury in his stupid face before kicking him away. He rolled back to his feet and got ready for another round. He glanced at Ruby. Her look said it all:
Take care of things outside first.
He nodded before he and Blake headed back outside to finish Adam before helping his other sisters. His bout with Mercury could wait.
The remainder of the fight with the White Fang was a joke given their sheer numbers and very livid Sienna who was more than happy to put traitors in their place. A spotlight shown on the grunts as they were surrounded. Two surrendered, but one tried to shoot, put was taken down by Ilia. Satisfied, (Y/N) and Blake confronted Adam, who had been mostly contained thanks to Sienna, Lou, and Ghira. (Y/N) motioned for them to back off as Blake faced him.
"Im going to make you regret ever coming back," he threatened.
"More police are on their way, Adam," she informed him. "Huntsmen too,"
He chuckled, glancing at both her and the boy.
"Still too afraid to face me on your own,"
"We're here for Haven, not you,"
He unsheathed his sword and Blake drew her's. He smirked.
"You are still afraid, and you should be. I've made powerful friends since you've been away,"
"Oh yeah?" Sun challenged as he joined. "Where?"
"Tell me, does Blake make all of her classmates fight for her?"
"Nah, it's a volunteer gig. I'm just sayin', for someone who claims to have such great friends, there doesn't seem to be a lot of people here willing to fight for you,"
"And from where I'm standing," (Y/N) said as he stood next to Blake. "You're the one who's afraid,"
A spotlight shown on Adam as Blake continued to speak.
"You can try and make us regret coming here, Adam, but honestly, we've got more important things to deal with,"
He snarled and slashed at Sun who blocked with his staff. The monkey back away, firing his gunchucks as Blake slashed him. As he attempted to counter her, (Y/N) struck him dead in the face, with Sun hopping back in with a staff strike. Adam took off for the foliage, the spotlight following him. Blake yanked (Y/N) back by his tail before calling off Sun.
"Sun, wait!"
"But he's getting away! We could take him!"
"No, we can't," Blake argued. "He wants to lure us away so he can pick us off. We need to protect the school and the people here. Besides, now he can see what it feels like to run away," she smiled at Sun. "Thank you,"
He shrugged with a smile.
"Eh, we all need help sometimes,"
"Um, Blake?" (Y/N) interjected, pointing at the hall. "Ruby? The others!"
"Right, let's go!" She turned to Sun. "Be careful,"
"No promises,"
The took off in different directions. It was a good thing they decided to rejoin the fight inside as the big guy had just destroyed the Queen Lancer summon. Blake leapt and kicked the guy right in his face, sending him sprawling, as she and (Y/N) landed next to Ruby and Weiss.
"Are you hurt?" Blake asked.
"N-no!" Weiss said, bewildered. "I just remember you being more of the quiet one,"
"Hugs!" (Y/N) said as he quickly hugged both Ruby and Weiss before turning back to their approaching opponents. "More later. Let's cream these jerks!"
"A-alright," Weiss agreed shakily. "What's the plan Ruby?"
(Y/N) heard something whirling behind them and both he and Ruby shot at the faunus taking aim at them simultaneously. He quickly ran through the door behind them, much to the annoyance of Mercury.
"Checkmate!" Ruby called out as Weiss and Blake ran in opposite directions and Ruby ran forward. (Y/N) followed behind her. The big guy swung at them. As Ruby dodge, (Y/N) jumped up and slammed his tail on his head, sending his forward for Weiss and Blake to tag team. He then ran at Mercury and halted a kick with his arm. The older boy glared at him.
"So here too runt,"
"Oh I have been waiting a year for this!" With a roar, (Y/N) pushed back and began rushing the male. Mercury was a much better fighter, but (Y/N) had blitzing speed on his side and the fact he hadn't been fight for very long. They both exchanged heavy blows before jumping apart as Blake tagged in for (Y/N). The boy landed where Nora, Ren, Jaune, Qrow, and someone he didn't know. Qrow nodded at him.
"Glad you could join us fire breather. We could use the hands,"
"I'm happy fight!" Nora smiled at him.
"It's great to see you (Y/N),"
"You've seem to have grown since last we met," Ren commented as Jaune nodded.
"Yeah, and we could use that right now,"
"Just tell me what I need to do!" The boy, who look young than Ruby, stepped up next to him.
"(Y/N), that man, Hazel, he has a semblance that can block out pain. We need to get him past his limits. Can you do that?"
"Wait, how do you-," he glanced down and noticed a very familiar cane. He then switched to soul vision and his eyes widened. "Pr-Professor Ozpin!?"
The supposed headmaster snapped his fingers and redirect his attention back on Hazel.
"(Y/N), can you get him to his limit?"
The boy nodded with a determined look.
"Yeah, I think I can,"
"Oz, you can't just send the kid out there one on one with that monster! He'll get creamed!" Qrow argued. Ozpin smiled.
"He'll be fine. Hazel won't kill him,"
"That's reassuring," Nora said muttered.
It didn't deter the boy who readied himself. Oz then motioned to Jaune.
"Mr. Arc, can you manage another amplification? Like with Ms Schnee?" The blonde nodded.
"Yeah, hold still (Y/N), this may feel weird,"
Jaune placed a hand on the boy's shoulder and immediately, he felt energy burst through him. It was like being on a sugar high after a good nap. He could feel the muscles in his body growing strong. Jaune eventually let go, stumbling back as Qrow caught him. Oz stood next to the dragon.
"Watch yourself. Hazel may not kill you, but he could maim you,"
"What else is new?"
With an unseen burst of speed, (Y/N) grabbed Hazel's arms as he swung down at Weiss. The big guy was baffled that he was struggling against such a tiny boy. (Y/N) pushed back as two of his charms glowed: Yang's for the strength boost, and Nora's just to dispel the electricity (he couldn't absorb it like her, but he was effectively immune to it).
"(Y/N)!" Weiss called out.
"I've got this!" He assured her. "Take down Emerald and Mercury!"
Weiss wasn't at all about to leave her precious baby brother to fight this monster alone, but the his eyes begged her to trust him. So she did. (Y/N) locked eyes with Hazel and bared his teeth.
"Just you and me big guy,"
"How many children have to die for that monster Ozpin!" Hazel demanded as he pushed forward relentlessly. (Y/N) held his ground, his feet planted firmly.
"I'm not here because of Ozpin. I'm here because some big creep is hurting my sisters and my friends!"
Hazel seemed to hesitant with that answer. He could see the ferocity in the boy's eyes, the same in his own: a brother fight desperately for his family. Sensing Hazel faltering for a second, (Y/N) spun, swinging Hazel over his shoulder and leaping as he slammed him into the ground. (Y/N) them flew up and pushed himself off the ceiling and punching Hazel right in his gut, winding him. Hazel managed to slap him away, but (Y/N) landed on all fours, gracefully, and let out a roar that rivaled Hazel. Everyone looked at him stunned, amazed and proud at how strong he had become. The fight continued as the gang pushed the three enemies back towards the staircase and had their weapons trained on them. Everyone was exhausted, heaving for breath, but Ruby still spoke.
"That's enough! Just give up,"
Mercury, who was on his knees with a bruised cheek curtsy of (Y/N), growled as he punched the floor.
"It's not over!" Emerald insisted. "Cinder will come back, she'll have the Relic, and she'll stop all of you! She won't let us down,"
Just then, everyone heard the whirling of something and turned to see Yang rising up on a platform, some sort of glowing lamp in her hand.
"Yang," Ruby said happily.
The blonde glanced at (Y/N) and Blake. The dragon gave a closed eyes smile and waved and Blake just smiled. (Y/N) then saw Emerald fall to her knees in tears as the two males back up.
"Emerald, get up. We need to go," Mercury whispered. "Emerald!"
The green haired girl glanced around before screaming. The room then went dark as smoking bellowed around them. (Y/N) was about to push it away with his wings when the smoke suddenly formed into a terrifying creature that resembled a woman, but with twisted limbs and fingers and Grimm markings on her face. It shrieked and revealed pitch black eyes with only red pupils before it dove at them. When it was over, (Y/N) realized he was shaking, and clinging to Blake. He felt as scared as he had been when Team RWBY had first found him.
"Wha-what was that?" Blake asked shakily.
"An illusion," Ozpin answered as everyone stared at him. "But an accurate one. That...was Salem,"
"Who's...Salem?" (Y/N) asked, trying to get ahold of his voice. Blake pat his head comfortingly.
"We'll explain later," Ruby promised.
Qrow nodded.
"Yeah, it's a lot to cover. For right now, it's over,"
Blake sighed in relief as Ghira, Kali, and Sun entered. The parents hugged both of them.
"The police rounded up the remaining White Fang members," Kali explained. "Haven is safe,"
"Unfortunately, it appears Adam escaped," Ghira added.
"I wouldn't worry," Sienna assured as she walked in with Ilia. "He was the only one who escaped tonight," Ilia nodded.
"Those in the White Fang that followed him won't support a leader that abandons his people. He won't have their help after this. He'll have no one at all. And the White Fang will be left divided,"
"It appears we will have to rebuild," Sienna said while looking at Ghira. The chief nodded.
"We've been fighting amongst ourselves for too long. Perhaps it's time for a new brotherhood, a new family for faunus truly working toward a better world,"
"And they'll need new leaders," Kali motioned to both of them.
Sun then noticed the other students and pushed (Y/N) and Blake towards them as Ruby fell over and Yang and Weiss sat next to her. She grinned at them.
"So Blake, (Y/N), what are you doing here?"
"I-," Blake tried to answer. "We were gonna ask you three the same thing,"
"That's...a loooong story,"
"Well, we're not going anywhere,"
(Y/N) couldn't take it anymore and dove at them, crying.
"I missed you," was all he said.
The three girls kissed his head gently.
"We're here together," Ruby said. "That's all that matters,"
"Yeah," Yang agreed. Weiss then offered an arm to Blake and pulled her into the hug. They sat in silence. The rest of the world didn't matter right now.
What matter was that their family was whole again.