Chapter 17 (B): Necessary Sacrifices

I own nothing
Chapter 17: Lesson One
Everyone was gathered once more in the living room the next morning, nervous and twitching. Ghira took a deep breath and sighed, clutching his head. Kali placed a gentle hand on his shoulder and smiled at him.
"Are you ready?"
"Yes," Ghira responded, though not very unenthusiastically. "It won't be easy for the people to hear, but the truth often isn't. I know they'll do the right thing," Blake joined in as she and her mom leaned on Ghira comfortingly. Sun immediately broke up that tender moment by patting Ghira's shoulder.
"You've got this," (Y/N) face palmed.
"You made it weird,"
Ghira didn't say a word and instead march to the door, everyone following behind. Outside, a small crowd gathered at the front of the mansion. Lou, bandaged, was standing near the podium and nodded to the chief. Ghira stepped up to the podium as the screeching from the mic got everyone's attention.
"Thank you all for assembling here. I wanted to take time to address some of the rumors that have been circulating around our island. I believe it is important for the people of this territory to understand the truth. No matter how you feel about the human race, I think we can all agree that the event now known as the Fall of Beacon was a tragedy, a tragedy that will set both man and Faunus-kind back. While the main aggressor is still unknown, we do have official confirmation that Adam Taurus, the leader of a powerful splinter group working inside the White Fang, was partially responsible for these attacks. His actions not only tarnish the reputation of an organization originally created to bring peace and equality to all, but to our entire race. With each day that this man remains unpunished, it becomes increasingly difficult to condemn those that look down upon us," the crowd was muttering nervously among themselves. Ghira raised a hand to silence them again.
"Recently, a spy from the same splinter group set their sights on this very home. My own daughter, Blake, and her friend did their very best to apprehend this individual. While they were unsuccessful after being physically assaulted and seriously injured, they were successful in obtaining the assailant's scroll," he held out the device. "With this, we were able to ascertain Adam Taurus had planned to overthrow the current leader of the White Fang, Sienna Khan, and take over the reigns himself," the crowd called out angrily. (Y/N) sighed in relief.
"Good, sounds like they're on our side," he thought as Ghira called out to the crowd.
"This revelation came too late to stop the coup. However, thanks to the efforts of my daughter's young friend (Y/N) and Commander Lou, the high leader managed to escape death and will recover in time. However, Adam's radical plans do not stop there, the documents on this scroll proclaim his next target to be Haven Academy and its attached CCT tower. Their plan is to strike on the last full moon before the beginning of the fall semester, roughly two months from today. I have sent my swiftest messenger to the government of Mistral, but I believe we have a greater responsibility," Ghira pulled back a bit. "My relationship with the White Fang has been...an interesting one. Years ago, I led the organization to help try and create a world where I, and every Faunus who wished, could walk alongside the human race. And while I believe we made great strides toward this goal, it was made clear to me that the people both in and out of the White Fang wanted faster results, so I stepped down and Sienna Khan was appointed as my successor. It's true that I do not fully condone many of her methods. What I do condone is what Sienna fights for: the idea that the Faunus and humans are, and should be, equal. Adam Taurus does not seem to have that goal in mind. What he has done benefits no one but himself. I think it's time that the Faunus showed the world that we are equals! Time that we sniff out this splinter group, and restore the White Fang to what it once was!" The was cheering from the crowd and (Y/N) felt relieved.
"To do this, I think the answer is clear: we must go to Haven and protect it at all cost!" The crowd quieted down immediately and (Y/N) felt unease creep back into him. Ghira noticed it.
"Before we proceed any further, I would like to invite my daughter to come and share her story, not only as a former member of the White Fang, but also as a survivor of the Fall of Beacon," Blake hesitantly stepped forward and Ghira nodded encouragingly to her.
"You can do this,"
"Traitors!" Someone called from the crowd. Everyone turned to see Ilia hatefully gazing at the Belladonnas.
"Ilia," Sun hissed.
"Cowards," She spat. "After everything the humans have done to us, everything they've put us through, you're asking us to help them!?"
"I know we haven't been treated fairly," Ghira tried to explain.
"Where was their help when the Dust companies treated our people like slaves?! Where was their help when the kingdoms hunted Faunus just for being who they are!? Where was my help when my parents were killed in a Dust mine!? Where!?"
"Young lady, progress takes patience and cooperation,"
"The Belladonnas are worst kind of Faunus! They want us to work with the same people that are trying to hold us down! If truly, truly want to help your people, now is the time to support Adam, not the Belladonnas! He will bring about the future that you deserve, and if you are unwilling to fight, know the White Fang will do it for you!"
"Adam Taurus is a murderous psychopath who would gladly leave us all to die if it meant he could get what he wants!" (Y/N) screamed, pushing away from Kali to face off with the older girl.
"(Y/N)!" Blake said worriedly, but Ghira kept her from interfering. The dragon didn't let his nerve stop him now, the other Faunus needed to hear this.
"Adam doesn't care about anyone but himself. He doesn't want to make the world better, he wants to make everyone else suffer and he'll drag us all through the mud to do it!"
"You are just a naive child who's too young to understand what he's saying," Ilia spat back.   (Y/N) stood up straight.
"Maybe I am young, but I'm not young enough to know that the reason I'm alive is because Blake and her team, all of whom are humans, rescued me from a Nevermore and took me in! I lived in the school and most of the people I cared about were humans who took care of me! Beacon was my home, the only home I can remember after having half of my life stolen from me, and Adam and his allies took it away from me all over again! I lost two close friends during the fall, I nearly died, and I had to leave my sisters in Vale, humans, one of whom Adam mutilated for trying to protect Blake, because he was and is probably still trying to kill me!" The crowd gasped in horror and this reveal and Ilia flinched a bit, realizing (Y/N) had probably just swayed them to his side. The dragon held Ilia's gaze fiercely. "There's a scar on my palm that was enough proof for Sienna Khan that Adam tried to kill me, and it was enough proof for her to ready herself in case he made an attempt on her life. Ask yourselves: if Adam was ready to kill his leader, ready to kill an unarmed child, how can we be sure we won't be next?" The crowd gazed uneasy at Ilia and muttered nervously to each other. Ilia gritted her teeth.
"Just shut up!" Ilia pulled out her whip and launched it at (Y/N). The boy's eyes widened, not expecting this. Blake bolted to protect him, but luckily Lou was faster and blocked the attack with his bow. He glanced down at the boy.
"You okay?"
"Y-yeah, thanks,"
"Consider us even,"
Illia pulled back her weapon and (Y/N) could see her eyes blown wide in horror, like she had just realized what she nearly had done. Sun burst from the crowd to attack, but she quickly disappeared. As the guards scattered to find her, Blake ran to her brother and hugged him.
"Are you hurt!?"
"I'm fine Blake, she didn't hit me," the cat Faunus gazed up at Lou gratefully.
"Thank you Lou, you saved him," the dog put his bow back on his back.
"Eh, don't mention it. I had a debt to pay after all," Kali walked to them and took the boy's hand.
"(Y/N), let's go inside until the guards find her," he pulled back.
"It's fine, I'm fine! She didn't mean to do it!"
"No offense little man, but that looked intentional from where I was standing," Sun interjected. Lou shook his head.
"No, the kid's right. I saw the look on her face. She didn't intend to attack him, she was moving without thinking. Still," he pushed the boy towards Kali. "It's probably best you stay inside for now," (Y/N) sighed.
"I can protect myself," Blake ran her fingers through his hair.
"I know you can, but please, just for now,"
"Fiiine," he groaned.
(Timeskip)
Blake and Sun left early the next morning to round up volunteers for the Haven Defense Force. The Belladonna females were still quite antsy as Ilia hadn't been caught yet, so (Y/N) had agreed to stay inside the manor to put them at ease. He was currently in what appeared to be a small dojo, practicing the maneuvers Tai Yang had taught him during his trip to Patch.
That felt like a lifetime ago now.
He punched and weaved, blocking out all other distracting, focusing only on striking he dummy in front of him.
"Your footing is off," He jumped and turned to see Sienna standing in the doorway watching him. He felt embarrassed.
"S-Sienna! Should you be up right now?!" She smiled, rolling her eyes.
"I'm mostly healed now, I'll be fine," she walked up next to him and move his foot into a proper position. "Wide stance to keep your balance,"
"R-right," keeping this new position, he began punching again.
"Any reason you're down here by yourself?"
"I have to get stronger. I need to be able help everyone, or at least be able to protect myself!" Sienna frowned softly. She grabbed one of his hands.
"(Y/N), you won't find strength in drilling these techniques into your head,"
"Well I have to do something! I'm not going to stand around and let others fight for me! I have to fight for myself!" Sienna sighed, letting him go.
"Believe me, I understand the need for strength, too well for my own good really, but you have to understand (Y/N), there's more than one way to be strong. You standing up to Adam, to me, to Ilia, that was strength, wanting to protect others, that's strength. You're far stronger in many ways than you may think," he glanced down.
"But I'm not strong the way I need to be. I have so many powers, but I'm too little to use them good enough and I can't even control my semblance!" He sat down, disappointed. "I'm just someone who needs protecting," Sienna took a deep breath, drawing her weapon.
"Get up," she demanded.
"What?"
"Get up! I won't have you moping! You want to grow stronger? Fine, I'll teach you to fight, but know this: I'm not a forgiving teacher," (Y/N) jumped up with a large smile.
"Really!? Thank yo-!" She bonked him on the head.
"Take your position!" (Y/N) scurried off and did as he was told. Sienna stood a ways away and held her chain up.
"I want you to either dodge or block the strikes from my weapon, understand?" He nodded.
"Do your worst," she smirked.
"You'll regret that,"
Sienna launched a barrage of strikes which (Y/N) struggled against. They were fast and stung when they landed. At one point, the chain wrapped around his ankle and sent him crashing to the ground.
"Come on! Show me what you're capable of!" Growling, (Y/N) grabbed the chain still attached to his ankle and yanked it hard, pulling the tigress in. The dragon went on the offensive with a plethora of jabs and tail whips. It didn't seem to effect Sienna that much, but the proximity of (Y/N) meant she had to use her chain's ends like a dagger, which was much easier for the boy to handle. (Y/N) had realized pretty quickly Sienna had the advantage at a medium distance, but up close, she couldn't utilize the full power of her weapon. She stabbed forward, but (Y/N) stepped out of the way and caught her wrist with his tail. He jabbed at her with his elbow, but she caught it. Thinking quickly, he hooked his foot around her ankle to unbalance her.  It was a move Tai had shown him. Sienna didn't fall over, but she did stumble a bit and the boy took the opportunity to roundhouse her in the face. She reeled back, stunned, but then smirked.
"Alright, your pretty good, but let's see what you're really made of,"
For the next few hours, the two continued their dangerous dance, and towards the end, (Y/N) could barely do anything to the White Fang leader. He fell to his knees, gasping for air while Sienna handed him water.
"That was exemplary," (Y/N) gulped the water desperately before heaving for air.
"Why? Why were you so much stronger at the end?" Sienna chuckled.
"Oh that would be my semblance: Grudge. The more damage done to my opponents, the more powerful I become," the dragon plopped onto his back.
"That is something you warn a student about in advance,"
"I believe in the effectiveness of learning by experience. Now sit up," he begrudgingly did so. "You're skilled, but you have a long way to go. I noticed you didn't use your semblance, even though I told you to show me what you're capable," he winced.
"I don't know how to use it,"
"You used it on Adam,"
"Yeah, That one time, right when it unlocked! I barely knew what was happening! One minute I'm kneeling next to my sister, the next I wake up in a hospital bed," Sienna sat on her knees.
"That's not going to do. Your semblance is obviously powerful, and it could help make up for your lack of experience or training. Before anything, we have to figure out how it works,"
"Believe me, I've tried, but every time, I just end up with a headache,"
"Because you're trying to force it. To master a semblance, one must completely understand it. Think back to when it unlocked, what was going on? What were you feeling? What were you thinking of?" (Y/N) closed his eyes, trying to recall. He suddenly found himself back in that cafeteria, kneeling over an injured Yang as Blake pleaded with Adam for his life.
"I felt afraid...and angry. I needed to protect them,"
"Who?"
"Yang and Blake. I had to protect them,"
"Good, concentrate on that memory. You were thinking of your sisters, those close to you. Do you remember anything else?"
"There...there was a warmth, like when she got mad," Sienna watched as the boy began to unconsciously play with his bracelet, namely the flame charm.
"(Y/N), were you wearing that bracelet during the attack?"
"I never take off. It's where I felt all the energy come from," Sienna rubbed her chin for a moment.
"(Y/N), I want you to focus on the memory of your sister. Think about her,"
"I always think about her. I think about all of them,"
"Go back to that night, remember what you felt. Remember the love she has for you, and love you have for her. Remember how that love drove you to fight, how it stamped out your fear so you could protect her! Remember her warmth!" (Y/N) clenched his fist as he thought hard, about all the memories he had with Yang and what he felt in that critical moment, praying for the strength to save her. And it came.
From her
(Y/N) let out a roar and slammed his fist into the ground, knocking Sienna away and creating a decently sized crater. The tigress smirked, seeing the flame charm now glowing red.
"I think we've got it,"