Chapter 2: First Day at Beacon

I own nothing
Chapter 2: First Day's are Hard
(Y/N)'s mind began stirring the next morning. His eyes were still too heavy to open, but he was dimly aware of being very warm and comfortable.
That wasn't normal to him. Neither was the body cuddling him.
For a split second, he thought of fighting his way out, only to remember the day before: the Nevermore, being brought to Beacon, meeting Team RWBY and JNPR, all of it. He nuzzled up to the person cuddling him, knowing it was just Ruby. The girls had had a very long argument over who (Y/N) got to sleep with. Nora and even Pyrrha had gotten in to it as well before Ruby pulled rank saying he'd sleep with her since she was the leader and the one who managed to pick him up from under the bed. Even then, the other members of Team RWBY protested until finally they agreed to let the boy just rotate: first with Ruby, then Weiss, then Blake, then finally Yang.
(Y/N) just laid there for a few more minutes, not exactly asleep, but still not awake, until something loud began ringing. (Y/N) shot up, smacking his head against the ceiling.
"OW!" He yelped. The females immediately were up.
"Are you ok (Y/N)?" Ruby asked. The boy rubbed the forming bump.
"I hit my head. The noise woke me up," Weiss got up there too, gently placing a cold cloth on his bump.
"There, this should help," Blake side eyed Yang.
"Yang, why is your scroll on full volume? We promised to keep them on silent at night after...the incident," Yang grinned bashfully, rubbing her head in embarrassment.
"I guess with all the excitement with the little guy, I forgot,"
"What was the incident?" (Y/N) asked with big innocent eyes.
"We'll tell you when you're older," Blake shot back as the other girls began blushing with incoherent babble. Yang picked up her scroll and angrily shut it off when she realized it was a wrong number. Once Weiss and Ruby were done babying (Y/N), there was a knock on the door. Leaving the little boy on the bed, Ruby bolted for the door. Surprisingly, Coco and Velvet were there.
"Velvet! Coco!" The team leader cheered happily. (Y/N) sunk into the blankets like they were some kind of cave, silently scared by the new arrivals.
"Hi Ruby!" Velvet greeted. Blake peered over her shoulder.
"What are you guys doing here?" Coco grinned.
"Nora texted us you guys found a baby dragon in the woods and Ozpin let you keep him. No way we were going to pass that up,"
"Nora already told you about (Y/N)?" Weiss asked surprised. Velvet held up her scroll.
"And sent us a photo," Team RWBY crowded and saw the photo.
"When did she even-?" Weiss began to ask. Yang cut her off.
"You know, let's not question Nora logic," Coco peered behind them and saw a pair of (E/C) eyes looking at her from under the blanket fort before quickly closing the opening.
"Can we see him?" Weiss was a bit hesitant.
"Well, he's still pretty shaken up. I don't think he's used to healthy social interaction,"
"Oh," Velvet replied. "If he's too scared, we can wait until he's-," Blake waved her off.
"No, I think this'll be good for him," she insisted. Yang looked at her in surprise.
"You sure Blake?" The cat faunus began climbing up the bunk bed.
"(Y/N) needs time to heal, but he also needs to experience interacting with other people. Some positive introductions will help him stop associating new interactions with negativity,"
"Wow, that was really deep Blake!" Ruby exclaimed.
"Were you reading parenting books all night?" Yang joked.
"Of course not. I texted my mom and she sent me a year's worth of advice," The other's eyes widened with surprise as Blake gently prodded the blanket fort. (Y/N) peeked the tiniest part of his face out.
"(Y/N), you can come out. We just want you to meet some friends of ours," he frowned.
"But, what if they don't like me? What if they start yelling at me?"
"(Y/N), Coco and Velvet are nice people, they'd never do that. Sure there are going to be mean people, but all of us will make sure they won't be mean to you for long," the blonde banged her fist together.
"I'd like to see them try to make fun of you with a broken jaw!" Blake opened up her arms.
"It's ok if you're scared, you can hold on to us if you need to," it took a minute, but eventually he crawled out from under the blankets. Blake quickly put him down on the floor, where he immediately ran to Yang, looking wearily at Coco and Velvet from behind her. The girls crouched down to his level.
"Hi there (Y/N)," Velvet greeted softly. "I'm Velvet and this is my friend Coco. It's very nice to meet you,"
"Hi," he replied shyly, hugging Yang's leg. "You're like me,"
"Yes, I'm a faunus too! If you ever need something, I'll be happy to help," Coco grinned.
"Ugh, he's even cuter than the photo! (Y/N), if anyone's ever mean to you, you come to me or Velvet and we'll straighten them out,"
"O-ok," he said with a blush. Velvet looked at Yang.
"He's adorable guys,"
"We know," Weiss replied. "We have a bit of work to do if we want to start helping him heal mentally though," Velvet smiled.
"I'm sure you guys will do fine. It's really kind of you to do this,"
"Aw, come on, who could no to this face?" Yang said happily, patting the little one on the head. Coco looked at his garb.
"Well, if we want him to start interacting with other people, first we have to do something about those clothes," the second year leader suddenly pulled out 2 sets of clothes from seemingly no where. "Fox and Yatsuhashi kindly ran out and picked up some clothes I bought online, though they might be off since I didn't have his measurements," Velvet leaned into Ruby.
"She kinda held them at case point until they agreed to do it,"
"Oh," Weiss took the clothes.
"Thank you Coco. Now (Y/N), what do we say?"
"Uh, thank you Ms Coco!" He chirped behind Yang.
"Aw, anytime little guy. Try them on, let's see how they fit," Weiss handed (Y/N) the top set of clothes and the girls turned to leave, only for the little guy to start changing right in front of them.
"Woah! (Y/N), you can wait until we step out," Yang insisted. He tilted his head in confusion.
"Why?" They all sighed. Of course a child treated as a lab rat for most of his life wouldn't understand why this was inappropriate.
"For now, let's just say it isn't right for boys to change in front of girls," Velvet said in order to preserve (Y/N)'s innocence.
"Do you need help getting dress?" Blake asked, wondering if he just started stripping because he expected them to help. He nodded.
"I'll help him," Yang stepped up. The rest of the group quickly stepped out, only to be called back in minutes later.
"Uh guys, I think there's a new issue," Ruby opened the door.
"What's wrong sis?" Yang said nothing and instead opted to point at (Y/N)'s now exposed back. Everyone's jaws dropped.
"Well," Blake whispered. "That's unexpected,"
(Timeskip)
"How did you not notice he had wings up until now?!" Jaune asked, staring at (Y/N), whose wings flapped softly every so often. After their discover, they had taken the boy to the cafeteria for some breakfast and met up with Team JNPR who were shocked to see (Y/N) in a new set of clothes and (W/C) wings on his back.
"I don't know!" Weiss exclaimed. "Ask Ruby. She should've figured it out last night!"
"I was sleepy! His shirt kept his wings pinned to his back!"
"You still would've felt them move!"
"Well I didn't!"
While the girls fought, Nora kept shoving syrup drowned pancakes towards (Y/N) while Ren limited the amount.
"Nora, he can't eat this many pancakes,"
"Don't listen to him (Y/N)! Have as many as you like,"
(Y/N)'s eye's widened and shone like stars at the scent of the sugary treats. His mouth began to water and devoured the pancakes quickly.
"More please!" He asked meekly. Nora tried pushing another plate towards him, only for Weiss to stop arguing with Ruby and intercept it.
"That's too much sugar for him," (Y/N) whimpered like a kicked puppy and gave Weiss the saddest eyes he could muster. She immediately broke.
"Aw! You can have all the pancakes you want my sweet little dragon!" Blake grabbed her wrist.
"Weiss, be strong," Pyrrha smiled at their antics before pushing a bowl full of berries towards the little boy.
"Here (Y/N). These are better for you," He smiled and quickly consumed the berries as fast as he had with the pancakes.
"Well, he has a healthy appetite!" Jaune said as he was amazed by the boy's speed.
"Yeah, Blake managed to find online that dragon faunus have absurdly large appetites," Ruby explained. "I think we should figure out his limit then,"
"Blake found a book on the eating habits of dragon faunus?" Pyrrha asked in surprise. The cat faunus then pulled out a book titled "A Guide to Biology of Rare Faunus".
"Huh, convenient," Jaune commented. (Y/N) continued to scarf down the berries until he felt someone stomp on his tail very hard. He screamed and jumped into the air. There was laughing coming from behind him as he saw the boy who had obviously stepped on his tail.
"Aw, did I hurt the little freak?" The bully taunted. (Y/N) flinched back as Yang stood up, her eyes already turning red.
"Cardin, you have five seconds to live!" She threatened. Cardin didn't seem to take this seriously.
"What, the baby freak can't help himself? He shouldn't even be in here! Animals have to eat outside," (Y/N)'s eyes filled with tears. His wings began flapping and he flew away.
"(Y/N)!" Ruby called as she raced after him with Weiss, Pyrrha, and Jaune following.
"When did he learn how to fly!?" Jaune yelled. Pyrrha turned back to call Nora, Yang, and Ren to join, only to see the two girl eviscerating Cardin and Ren drinking his tea while watching the show.
"I'll make sure they don't kill him. Go help (Y/N),"
"Ok. Nora, Yang, we'll bring him back here!"
"I'LL TEACH YOU TO PICK ON LITTLE KIDS!"
"I'LL TEAR OFF YOUR ARMS AND BEAT YOU WITH THEM!"
(Timeskip)
Emerald and Mercury were strolling through the halls of Beacon.
"It's so boring around here!" The male complained. "Can't we move any faster than this?"
"Will you be patient?" Emerald scolded. "We can't do anything to arouse suspicion. Cinder's orders,"
"Help me!" A little voice squeaked. Both teens stopped dead in their tracks.
"Did you hear something?" Mercury asked.
"Get me down!" The voice cried again. Emerald looked up and saw a small boy hanging upside from the lightings, a long (T/C) hanging down and claws digging into it. Mercury looked ready to laugh.
"Alright, suddenly I'm not so bored anymore," the red eyed female rolled her eyes before calling out to the child.
"Hang on little guy, we'll get you down!" The child whimpered as Mercury shot her an annoyed look.
"What?"
"Come on Mercury, look at him. Besides, leaving a little kid crying from a high point? That's just lazy," The boy groaned before giving his partner a boost so she could get onto the lighting. Luckily, Emerald was a lightweight so it could easily support both their weights. She scooped up the tiny boy and jumped down.
"There you go," she said smiling. The boy blushed, his head shrinking back shyly.
"T-thank you,"
"Cute," Emerald thought. Mercury examined him.
"What's a kid doing here in the first place? And how did he get up there?"
"Maybe he's a professor's kid?"
"You know any professors with a tail like that? Hey kid, got a name?" He seemed to shrink more under Mercury's gaze.
"(Y-Y/N)?" Mercury snorted.
"You sure about that?" (Y/N) quickly wrapped his wings around himself to hide his face. Mercury smirked.
"So that's how you got up there. Decided to go for a fly and got stuck like a cat in a tree," Emerald punched the laughing Mercury in the gut.
"Stop it! You're scaring him!" She knelt down and tried to get the boy look at her. "Don't mind him (Y/N), he's an idiot. Why are you here at Beacon?"
"(Y/N)!" A voice called out from down the hall. Much to the duo's distaste, the voice came from Ruby, who had Weiss, Blake, Pyrrha, and Jaune following close behind. (Y/N) seemed to perk up though as he came out from his wings and immediately ran in the direction of the group.
"Ruby!" He dove under her cape and looked wearily at Mercury and Emerald. Ruby smiled and greeted the two.
"Hey Emerald!" The green haired girl faked a smile.
"Oh hey Ruby. Does this little guy belong to you?" Ruby gently patted (Y/N)'s head mindful of his horns.
"Yep. This is (Y/N), my team's taking care of him,"
"Well he's adorable,"
"What do you say (Y/N)?" Weiss asked him.
"Thank you Ms Emerald," He still coward under Ruby's cape. Pyrrha sighed while smiling.
"Sorry, he's been through a lot and he's very timid,"
"We were actually trying to get him used to people in the cafeteria just now," Jaune explained. Mercury rolled his eyes.
"Well you might want to put flying lessons on the list. Emerald had to get him down from the light fixtures,"
"Oh my God Emerald I am so sorry!" Ruby apologized. "Cardin ended up scaring him and he just took off and-,"
"No no, it's fine, he's probably just not used to flying yet," (Y/N) shook his head.
"I've never flown before. I'm sorry, it just happened," the girls all resisted the urge to Aw at the sight of his sad eyes. Pyrrha patted him on the head.
"It wasn't your fault (Y/N), there's no need to apologize,"
"It was Cardin's fault for scaring you," Blake added.
"That brute won't do it again," Weiss assured. "Yang and Nora will make sure of that," Mercury glanced at (Y/N)'s wings.
"So, how did you guys get roped in to babysitting a mutant horned lizard with wings?" Emerald proceeded to hit Mercury even harder in the gut, causing him to nearly fall over winded. Weiss glared at him.
"For your information, (Y/N) is a dragon, and we volunteered to take care of him after saving him from a Nevermore in the forest," Emerald's eyes widened.
"A dragon faunus? Aren't those just a myth?" Ruby gently pulled open one of the little boy's wings.
"Can't exactly argue with living proof," both spies were very intrigued. Dragon faunus were said to be as powerful as they were rare. Also, thanks to some of the research they had done in order to work with the White Fang, they had stumbled onto several legends involving dragon faunus. They were said to have many mystical powers. If the legends were true, (Y/N) would grow up to be very powerful, and an asset. He was still very young, maybe they could use him still.
"Anyways, we better go back to the cafeteria before Yang and Nora paint it with Cardin's insides," Ruby stated, interrupting their thoughts. "Thanks again for helping (Y/N)!"
"Wait Ruby," Emerald interrupted the group as they turned to head back to their companions. "Do you mind if we get a pic with him? I have a friend who's obsessed with old legends in Remnant and I know she'll kill over at a picture of (Y/N),"
"I mean, if (Y/N)'s ok with it, sure! (Y/N)?" The boy nodded unsurely from under her cape.
"Um, o-ok," he slowly came out and Emerald took the picture with her scroll, making sure to get (Y/N)'s tail and wings in the shot. She smiled.
"Thanks guys!" Weiss then picked up the young boy.
"We should go, thank you again,"
"Bye guys!" Ruby said over her shoulder as they ran back to the cafeteria. (Y/N) waved to the duo as they left. Once they were out of sight, Mercury smirked.
"So, think Cinders is gonna be interested in the brat?" Emerald smirked and began heading back to their dorm.
"Can't hurt to check,"
(Timeskip)
After picking up Ren, Nora, and Yang from the cafeteria (and witnessing faculty scrape Cardin off the wall after the girls were done with him), the two teams with their little ward in tow, entered Oobleck's class. (Y/N) was perched happily on Yang's shoulders.
"Man (Y/N), I know you have wings, but it was still crazy seeing you fly!" Yang exclaimed. The boy blushed.
"It wasn't that great. I couldn't tell where I was going and I crashed into lights," Nora hopped next to them.
"Aw, it was your first time. Once you get bigger, you'll be dive bombing Grimm left and right!" The pink haired female began imagining the small boy as some sort of assault ship taking out Grimm.
"(Y/N) is right though," Blake chimed in. "If he's going to fly uncontrollably every time he gets scared, we'll have to start training him to fly properly,"
"And how do we do that?" Weiss asked. "It's not like we can ask someone to show him how!"
"Maybe try weight training?" Pyrrha suggested. "Have (Y/N) carry several books or such while trying to hover. That should not only teach him control, but also strengthen his wings so he can fly longer distances,"
"That's a great idea!" Ruby cheered. "Maybe he can even train with us and learn how to fight!" Weiss proceeded to bonk her on the head.
"Ruby! (Y/N) is 8! He is far too young to train with us!"
"Aw come on Weiss, we won't go full force on him, we'll just start him off with some basics, just so he can protect himself. What do you say (Y/N)? Wanna learn how to be a badass?"
"Yang language!" Weiss scolded while (Y/N) started getting starry eyed.
"I'll get to be brave like you guys and get to fight monsters and bad guys?" Yang tilted her head back to look at him and smiled widely.
"Of course! You'll be kicking Grimm butt in no time! Who knows, you might even unlock your semblance," (Y/N) tilted his head in confusion.
"Semblance?"
"Basically it's your super power!" Nora explained excitedly. "Like mine is I can suck up electricity to get stronger, Pyrrha has magnets, Ruby can go super fast, and Jaune...well we don't know what Jaune is yet. So that's something you can bond over!"  Jaune drooped in depression.
"Thanks Nora,"
"You're welcome!"
"What will my semblance be?" (Y/N) asked, catching Nora's excitement.
"We won't know until you unlock it," Pyrrha explained. "For now, you should focus on building your strength and aura,"
"Aura?"
"We can start your combat education tomorrow," Weiss promised. "But for now..." Everyone groaned as they sat in their seats for history, groaning simultaneously.
"Oobleck's class," On cue, the green haired, coffee addicted professor appeared in the class in his usual manner.
"Ah good morning class! Chipper as always! Now today we will be-," Oobleck cut himself off as he caught sight of (Y/N) sitting on Blake's lap. He immediately bolted up to them, much to the boy's discomfort.
"Ms Belladonna! This wouldn't happen to be the dragon faunus boy?" The faunus girl shrank back in surprise .
"Um Yes? His name is-,"
"INSPIRING!" The Professor scooped up (Y/N) and began measuring his tail and wing spans, and checking the boy's teeth. "The existence of dragon faunus has long since baffle the scientific community on its legitimacy and even if one were to believe, they would likely believe them an extinct breed! Yet here we have a living breathing contradiction to countless scientific debates! You're a living relic my boy!" (Y/N) was too in shock to even attempt to get away. Luckily, Weiss got up to calm the eccentric professor.
"Um, Professor? (Y/N) has experience sever trauma and is very timid. Perhaps you can refrain from studying him in such a manor?"
"Yes of course!" He then pushed the boy into Weiss's arms, much to both their reliefs. "Can't start conducting experiments with a class to teach!"
The word 'experiments' immediately caused (Y/N) to tense up in Weiss's arms and cling to her. The Schnee glared at her teacher.
"He was abused by scientists Professor! Perhaps you can refrain from using scientific terminology?" Oobleck looked a bit crestfallen at the sight of the frightened faunus and nodded.
"Of course, my apologies,"
Weiss sat back in her seat as Oobleck began lecturing. She calmly stroked his (H/C) hair.
"It's ok (Y/N), Professor Oobleck won't hurt you," the dragon's grip tightened.
"I don't like white coats, I hate them!" Blake joined in and rubbed his back.
"Professor Oobleck isn't one of the white coats. Ozpin told you himself, the men who hurt you are gone. They'll never lay a hand on you again,"
"Yeah, the worst thing Oobleck will do is bore you to death," Jaune joked, causing the boy to let out a small giggle.
"(Y/N), do you trust us?" Ruby asked. He nodded fiercely.
"Then trust us now. We're not gonna let anything bad happen to you,"
"Promise?"
"Promise,"
"Don't worry!" Nora cheered. "We'll beat the guy who hurts you within an inch of his life!"
"Nora is enough to scare any attempt off," Ren assured him.
The rest of class went on without any interruptions, though (Y/N) did fall asleep about a quarter of the way in. Once it was done, Oobleck asked to examine (Y/N) once more, this time having Team RWBY stand close to keep him calm.
"Well, clean bill of health, a large wing span and tail span, a set of powerful jaws, but a bit on the scrawnier side. Besides that, he should grow to be a powerful fight once he puts on a healthy amount of weight,"
"Yeah the nurse told us that already," Ruby said while holding (Y/N) hand. His scars peaked just enough for Oobleck.
"And you say scientific testing is the reason for his timid nature?"
"Yes," Weiss answered. "He and serval other children were treated like animals," Oobleck shook his head.
"Dreadful, simply dreadful. A disgrace to the scientific community. (Y/N) I would like to assure you that any scientist worth his salt would never have dreamed of stooping so low. I apologize on the behalf of my field for the experiences you had to endure,"
"I-it's ok," he squeaked, still not quite trusting of the professor yet.
"Um Professor Oobleck," Blake interrupted. "We were wondering if you could assist us? (Y/N) flew for the first time today, but,"
"He's not that great at it," Ruby finished. The teacher rubbed his chin.
"I see, understandable. (Y/N) likely has never had a proper demonstration of flight nor been allowed to practice at this point. My suggestion is to build the muscles in his wings. Have him do several flapping exercises each day and maybe have him glide safe distances once you believe he's ready. Anyways, you lot should be going now,"
"Thanks teach!" Yang said and Ruby picked up (Y/N) and headed out the door.
"Oh girls, one more thing," Team RWBY turned back around to see Oobleck with a serious look on his face.
"While the existence of dragon faunus has always been debated, there is no shortage of stories about the incredible powers they wield. (Y/N) is young and not ready to fight, but he will grow quickly, best not to let anyone badly influence him. Well tah-tah for now then!" He said after that dramatic warning, leaving everyone slightly unnerved.
(Timeskip)
"And you're certain he was a dragon?" Cinder asked Emerald after she and Mercury had delivered some interesting news. The red eyed girl nodded.
"Wings, tail, all that was missing was fire breathing," the older woman smirked.
"I see, this could be very useful to our cause,"
"He's a runt though," Mercury argued. "What could a pipsqueak like that do?"
"Given the proper training, even a so called pipsqueak could become dangerous. Dragons are notoriously powerful beings," Cinder gazed at the picture Emerald had taken of the boy. "I think Lady Salem should be informed of this development,"