Chapter 58

I decided, to keep low profile. I would mostly observe, rather than participate and kick the red teams' butts.

    Armin's plan was pretty cool. I was impressed, but not too surprised. I mean, considering he was the one who thought up the plan that won the game for the Greeks next week, it was to be expected.

    The others in our group were very surprised, however. But they all liked the plan and decided to go with it. It took some persuading to get Snorri to agree, but three pairs of puppy dog eyes eventually convinced him. Or maybe it was just Patricia's. That was more likely. He was as hard as a brick, but for Patricia he was as soft as warm butter.

    At any rate, the plan wouldn't have been able to work without him.

    The other four played significant roles, while Claude and I were mostly just the brute strength, which was kind of funny, considering I was the shortest in our group. He was the tallest, though, so that would make up for it.

    Anyway, I thought the game would be a good chance for me to study the Greek's fighting style, so I decided that I'd let the other five do all the work. Plus, I had a legitimate excuse.

    I was a newbie, wasn't I?

    We finished discussing our plan just as the councilors came down to announce theirs. Theirs was an elementary offense style, with classic, or rather cliche, hiding places for the flag and prison. It wasn't very unique, and I realized that maybe it was a smart move to create a secret plan. The other team had the children of Athena, after all. That had to count for something, and we had to be able to compete.

    A few minutes later, a horn sounded in the distance. Everyone scrambled to their assigned positions. Harle had been assigned as a guard, but she quickly found one of her siblings who was willing to switch roles with her so we were all on offense.

    Armin kept tapping her head and shoulders as we ran toward the front line, as if he thought there was luck to be gained at random intervals. Which there probably was, for all I knew.

    The blue team had blue war-paint on their faces and hands, and if they didn't have that, they had blue ribbons tied to their armor or some obvious indication that they were on the blue team. It wasn't very organized. At Camp Jupiter, our galeas either had red or blue feathers which indicated our team.

    I saw a flash of red. I looked over to see two children of Ares tackling another demigod with blue painted on his armor. When I looked ahead again, all I saw was utter chaos. Blue and red clashed together in sword fights, mad chases, and other crazy antics like climbing up trees and racing around in circles to no aim.

    I followed Claude, dodging fights and sailing projectiles. I knew we were making our way into the red team's territory when there were more red covered demigods than blue. Soon we were being chased.

    I cursed when I tripped, falling onto my knees. My heart pounded and I stood, drawing my sword. Three red-streaked demigods came at me and I scanned my surroundings before attacking them first. A few quick maneuvers and a sly dodge gave me a short advantage, but then I noticed two more demigods running up from behind.

    Darn it.

    A girl demigod with blonde hair and gray eyes swung her sword at me, but then a tall figure was beside me and easily threw off the girl's attack, pushing her away.

    I glanced at Claude.

    His eyes focused on the enemies creating a semi-circle around us, his hands grasping a gold tinted sword. The setting sun shone brightly, illuminating his bright blue eyes.