Chapter 63

My friends surrounded me, giving me warm congratulations.

    Armin and Harle stood on one side, Patricia, Snorri, and Claude on the other.

    "Congratulations on being claimed, Sherlock!" Harle exclaimed enthusiastically. I knew she wasn't enthusiastic about who my mom was, but I decided not to comment. For now, we were still on friendly terms. And if nothing else, I was glad this got her mind off this afternoon's incident. I tried to smile at her.

    "This actually explains a lot!" Armin said. "I mean, it makes sense with your character. Even though, I could've sworn you were a daughter of Nike. Nemesis makes sense too, though, especially when I think about your fighting style."

    "Ja, congratulations, Sherlock," Snorri said in that deep, apathetic voice of his. Patricia squeezed my shoulder. I tried not to feel irritated at her but I almost couldn't help it. I glanced at her, but I saw she was looking at Claude. She glanced back at me, confusion in her gaze, and I looked away.

    Right. She shipped us. Well, this is just a cruel twist of fate we'll never speak of again. I looked at Claude. And at least I don't have to worry about it anymore.

    We walked up to Cabin Eleven and I ran up the steps, leaving them behind.

    My cabin mates watched me as I gathered my few things and then walked toward the door.

    "Bye Sherlock!" a few people called out behind me. I looked back and did my best to smile before walking out.

    When I walked down the steps, most of the party had left, except Patricia, Claude, and now Jocelyn.

    "Your bunk's all set up," Jocelyn said, eying me. "Congrats, Sherlock. You get to join the cool cabin."

    And then she walked away, expecting us to follow. I looked at Claude, who met my gaze. He looked away first, following his sister. With a sigh and a quiet curse, I followed after them.

    But then Patricia grabbed my shoulder again. This time it wasn't in a friendly and sweet manner. This time it was urgent. I looked at her. She stared me in the eyes and then leaned in toward my ear.

    "I thought you were a daughter of Athena," she whispered.

    "So did I," I whispered back, pulling free from her.

*

    The Nemesis cabin was dull and black and, frankly, haunting, but I liked it better than the busy and chaotic Hermes cabin. It still didn't quiet feel like home, though.

    Not that I knew what that felt like. I guess I was just being picky.

    Jocelyn aroused us all at 7 am. As soon as I sat up she stuffed a paper into my face.

    "Here's your schedule for the weekdays, newb," she said as she walked away.

    I looked at it.

    First was cabin inspection, and then breakfast. After that I had an assortment of different classes and chores to participate in.

    Great.

    I jumped out of bed and did my part in tiding up. I wasn't too surprised when all the chores were evenly split between the ten of us. There had been nine children of Nemesis before I arrived last night. Six girls and three boys. I still didn't know most of their names, except for Jocelyn, Claude, Elisabeth, and, what was his name? Morgan? Something. One of the boys started with M. And he didn't like me much, obviously. He kept staring.