Chapter 8

I had no idea how it got there. It definitely hadn't been there ten seconds ago.
I jumped to my feet, reaching for my sword. But then I remembered that I had left it behind. I cursed myself as I stared at the police box.
Aren't those... British? Terminus obviously hadn't sensed the intrusion yet, for no one else came running to the Fields. Glancing around to make sure it wasn't a trap of some sort, I dashed toward it. I walked up to the door and with some difficulty read the inscription on a white slab above the handles:
POLICE TELEPHONE
FREE FOR THE USE OF PUBLIC
ADVICE & ASSISTANCE OBTAINABLE IMMEDIATELY
OFFICERS & CARS RESPOND TO ALL CALLS
PULL TO OPEN
I reached forward and was just about to pull on the doors, when they swung open. A young man in suspenders and a bright red bowtie leaned out. He had floppy brown hair and a mischievous smile.
"Well, hello!" the man said in a British accent. But then his smile fell. He looked past me and then stuck his head out beyond the police box. He looked back at me, obviously frustrated
"This isn't the Golden Gate Bridge!" he pouted, scratching his head. And then he looked at me and glanced at my attire. "And this isn't the year 1937, is it?"
I shook my head.
"Typical, just typical!" he said with a sigh. But then he smiled, "Sorry for the inconvenience, but thanks for the help!"
I blinked twice, my mind swimming with confusion.
And then he began to shut the doors.
The dots connected so fast that I almost gasped aloud. That man was no ordinary man and this was certainly no ordinary police box. The idea was so absurd, but so obvious, I couldn't help but believe it.
Everything was happening so fast that I almost didn't know what I was doing when I slammed my foot between the doors to keep them from closing.
"Wait!" I blurted. "Wait wait wait! Please wait!"
I pushed the doors inward again and, before I could think, I dashed inside.
"Well come right in why don't you...!" the man exclaimed in annoyance as I pushed past him. But I stopped in my tracks.
The small, blue police box... was bigger on the inside. My mouth fell open as I stared at the complex console of blinking lights that was just ahead of me. It had so many switches and toggles that my mind began to swim.
Two people, a man and a lady, stood next to the control panel. The lady had ginger hair and large, beautiful eyes. She wore a short skirt and fashionable top and my first thought was that she must be a model. The man next to her was less impressive, but had a kind face.
"Who's this?" the lady said with a scottish accent, obviously amused.
"I don't know!" the man behind me shouted. "She just pushed her way in!"
"Is she... human?" the man asked. I frowned.
"What kind of question is that?" I said, abstractedly, looking at the other doorways around us.
"Well, I... I just don't know anymore!" the man protested, "Humans, aliens, sometimes it's so hard to tell between them."
"Except when it's very obvious that they're alien," the woman said, looking at the man.
"Well, yes, of course," the man admitted. "But anyway, weren't we going to go see the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge, Doctor?"
Doctor?
"I must've put in the wrong date," the man in the bow-tie said. "Or, you know, the TARDIS brought us here."
I stepped to the side so I could stare at all three of them at once. They stared at me too.
"Who are you?" the woman asked again, solemnly this time.
"I'm Cecilia," I said, examining them closely. "And... if I'm not wrong, you two," I pointed at the young man and woman, "Are a newly wedded couple from the United Kingdom and you have a very close and trusting relationship with this man," I pointed at the man with the bow-tie. "But... you aren't actually a man at all. You are an alien. But not just any alien." I turned and faced him head on. "You're a time traveler. And this... this is your time machine. Your... very high-tech time machine," I added in awe as I looked around again.
"How do you know all of this?" the woman snapped before I could go on. I looked at her.
"Isn't it obvious?" I said, casually.
"No, it is not," she retorted. "Who are you?"
Paying no attention to the woman, I turned back toward the man in the bow-tie.
"Is my deduction correct?" I asked. He stared at me with neither fear nor surprise.
"Yes," he said. "I'm the Doctor. I'm a TimeLord and this," he looked around as he spoke, "is the Time And Relative Dimension In Space, or the TARDIS, as we call her."
I tried to wrap my mind around it, but I simply couldn't. It was too illogical. Too ridiculous. But here I was and there he was. How could I deny it?
"But who are you?" the man interrupted my thoughts.
"I told you. My name is Cecilia."
"Yes, but who are you?" he repeated. I stared into his dark eyes.
"I could ask you the same thing," I said quietly, "But I won't."
He stepped toward me.
"Then what do you want from me?" he asked.
"I want- need, your help," I said. He walked past me toward his friends, not replying.
"Can you help me? Please? I just need two trips in this time and space machine of yours. I... I don't have anything I can give you in return, but I'd do just about anything if you'd please help me," I begged. He was silent.
"What do you think, Amy and Rory?" he said after a minute, looking at the couple. "Should we help her?"
"I don't see why we shouldn't," the man, Rory, said.
"It depends on where she wants to go," the woman replied, crossing her arms.
"Yes, and that is a very good question, Amelia," the man said, turning back toward me.
"So, Cecilia, where would you like to go?"
"I don't want to go back in time. I don't want to go forward. In fact, I just want to go a few thousand miles east of here," I said slowly. "I need to go to London, England."
"Why?" he said, looking skeptical.
"It's a long story," I said, hoping they wouldn't ask questions but knowing he would.
"Sum it up for me," he said. I took a deep breath.
"You've probably heard the myths of the Greek and Roman gods. Well, they're not just myths. The gods are real," I said bluntly. "And sometimes they like to have kids with mortals. I am one of those kids. There are two camps where we can go to be protected from the monsters that like to try and hunt us down. I am from one of those camps, which you just happened to land in- Camp Jupiter. My mother is the goddess of battle strategy and I just recently found out that my dad is Sherlock Holmes. I've never met him before and he doesn't know I exist." I looked down. "I want him to know of my existence. I want to meet him."
"The gods?" the woman said. "Is it true, Doctor?"
"Yeah," the Doctor said, nodding. "They're real. I've met them several times. Technically I'm a god, but we won't go into that. They're not exactly the omniscient, almighty beings that humans worship them as. Actually they're aliens from the planet..." I stared at him in shock, and he hesitated, "But we won't go into that, either. I do have one question, though. Why? Why do you need me to take you?"
I studied him.
"Because I don't have any other way to get there and I'd rather not have to explain everything over the phone. And because, Doctor," I spread my feet apart an crossed my arms, "I will not leave your TARDIS until you do."
The Doctor raised his eyebrows and then looked as his companions.
"I don't see the harm in it," Rory said. Amy nodded her agreement. The Doctor looked back at me, grinned, and then turned on his heel and walked toward the control system.
"Sherlock Holmes, you say? The world famous detective? I can total see the resemblance. I mean with your hair and your... deduction-y skills."
"Deduction-y?" the Amy laughed. The Doctor shrugged and then began pressing buttons and flicking switches. Suddenly the machine jerked. I nearly fell over but grabbed onto the metal railing nearby.
"Off we go!" the Doctor exclaimed with a smile.