Chapter 69

"Claude."

Chiron walked up to our table, and I quickly crossed my arms, hiding my tattoo from him. Claude was sitting across from me, and I watched as he stared up at Chiron, stupidly. I would've usually been irritated by such an expression on any other person, but on Claude I found it endearing. It reminded me of the old him.

"Can I speak with you?" Chiron asked, flicking his tail.

"Yes, sir," Claude said, slowly. He looked at me as he stood.

No, this can't be about the summoning. That was two days ago!

My heart pounded against my chest as Claude followed after Chiron. I looked at my plate, counted to ten, and then stood. Jocelyn looked at me as I walked toward the fire pit, the same direction Chiron and Claude had gone in. I dumped the rest of my eggs into the fire as I passed. Chiron stood just outside of the pavilion with Claude. I moved closer as unsuspiciously as possible, hoping to catch their conversation. I felt slightly more relieved when I saw Snorri and Patricia standing with him, listening to Chiron. I leaned against a pillar and nonchalantly scanned the room, my back to the four of them as I listened.

"... Deeply concerned. We have all the reasons to believe you three and the rest of Hecate's children, so I have come to the conclusion that there is another Mist manipulator here at camp," Chiron said in low tones.

"Vith all due respect, sir," Snorri broke in. "That's impossible. I vould know if there vas. Other than my siblings and Patricia and Claude, there is no one else in this camp with the power to summon a monster like that. There are a few with potential, but none vith gifts so honed as to-"

"And could it not have been a god or some spirit, playing a deadly trick?" Patricia cut in. "There could be explanations other than a demigod summoning a hellhound here. Why on earth would any of the campers do that, anyway?"

Chiron was silent for a moment.

"All I know is something is amiss," Chiron said. "And I want to recruit you three to keep an eye out for anything unusual. If you see or hear something even slightly suspicious, you would do well to inform Mister D or myself." "Understood, sir," Patricia responded.

"Good. Thank you for your time."

Chiron rode toward the Big House, and Snorri, Patricia, and Claude looked at each other. I turned and walked toward them. They were talking quietly amongst themselves when I walked up. "... Son of Hecate, couldn't you use your gifts to trace the summoning to its source?" Patricia whispered.

"I could," Snorri said indifferently.

"Then do it!" Patricia demanded more loudly. "Tell Chiron and do it!"

"No. It's not my concern," Snorri said, looking at me as I approached them.

"Snorri-"

"So what was that all about?" I asked, feigning oblivion.

"Nothing important," Snorri said. Patricia frowned.

"You guys aren't in trouble, are you?" I looked over as Harle walked up, her arms crossed and an uncharacteristic frown on her face. None of them answered, so finally Patricia spoke up.

"No, I don't think so," she glanced at Snorri. "Was he talking to you about the hellhound summoning?" Harle asked, her voice lowering. "Do you guys know who did it?"

"No..." Patricia replied again, her eyes narrowing as she stared at Snorri.

"It's kind of scary, knowing someone did that on purpose," Harle said, taking a deep breath. "I don't think any of you did it, though. No, not even you, Claude." She punched him lightly in the shoulder, and he raised his eyebrows but didn't reply.