Chapter 76

And run I did.

I headed away from the base camp, where I knew a swarm of Greeks would be waiting for me. It didn't take long for them to find me, however, and soon I was being trailed by troop of demigods who yelled and screamed while they tried to catch up.

I pumped my legs and arms, holding onto the flag with one hand. The orange flag rippled behind me as I charged through the forest. I tried to avoid the more populated areas, but it was nearly impossible. I didn't look back because it sounded like I had an army of Greeks chasing me down.

I glanced over to see two boys catching up to me on my left. I glanced to my right and saw three more, and they were closing in fast. I zig-zagged through trees, but they kept up with me. I was so focused on losing them, that I didn't notice we were headed for a battlefield until we were in the middle of it.

A shower of arrows hit the ground around and in front of me, and I heard one tear through the fabric of the flag. "Get her!" the Greeks chanted over and over again. I forced myself to keep going, but I was running out of energy, and demigods were closing in.

I recognized the child of Hermes to my right. He closed in, a knife in hand. He swiped at me, but I dodged the blow and surged forward, while he fell behind. A child of Ares tried to tackle me, but I spun out of the way, hitting the demigods on my other side with the butt of the flag.

But the demigods only grew in number. I would soon by overrun.

Nemesis! You wanted the glory for this game so badly, didn't you? Help me!! There was a roar to my left, and it amplified louder than the others. I looked over in time to see Armin push one of his fellow teammates to the ground, shoving another one in the face so that he fell behind.

Hope surged through me, giving strength to my limbs. But I knew I couldn't last for much longer. I gasped for breath, but it felt like my lungs were about to collapse. My knees were weakening. I looked forward, hoping to see the border in sight.

I didn't see the border, but I saw more armor-clad demigods.

When the Romans saw the flag in my hands, they cheered and came rushing toward me, helping to keep the Greeks off my back.

Romans and Greeks swarmed toward the scene, rallying in a climatic clash. I glanced back to see the two armies fighting viciously.

There was no one left following me. The few Greeks that made it through were tackled by the Romans or Armin.

More Romans and Greeks joined the battle every second, and I finally looked away. It was the last stretch to the border, I was nearly there! I passed a few stray fights as I went, but there was no one ahead or behind me. It was a clear path to the end.

When the border came into view, I smiled through my pain.

I've done it! I-

Someone stepped in between me and my goal.

I skid to a stop, only a few paces away from the border. I gasped for breath, staring in disbelief.

Claude met my gaze, glaring at me.

"Not now, Claude," I snapped, turning to go around him.

He raised his sword and stepped forward, placing the cold steel on my throat.

"If you take one more step, I'll make you bleed," he growled.

"Claude, don't," I pleaded through clenched teeth, staring at the rope that help signify the border between the two teams. It was so close.

"I can't let you cross that line," he stated, not lowering the sword from my throat.

"Claude!" I cried, turning my head to stare at him. "What is wrong with you?! This game is what started this whole mess! I have to cross that line! I have to-"

"No!" he shouted. "You can't! I can't let you!"

"Why?!" I shouted back.

"If you cross that line, time will change! Everything will change!" he exclaimed, using both hands to grip the sword.

"Yes, I know, that's the p-!"

"If you cross that line, we'll never have met!" Claude sniffed and adjusted his footing. I looked and saw tears welling up in his dark blue eyes. "I won't know you! I can't allow that, Cecilia!"

"Claude..."

"You-- You can't just leave me!"

His grip on the sword weakened. My heart ached, but I knew I had to seize this opportunity.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

And then I swung the flag pole at the blade, knocking it from his hands. Without missing a beat, I whirled around and swung the sharp end of the pole toward his neck.

Claude stumbled back with a cry, holding his hands to his throat. Blood poured through his fingers. He looked up at me in horror.

"You're out," I whispered. And then I turned and walked toward the rope.

"Ce-Cecilia!" Claude shouted. "Wait! Cecilia, please!"

I stopped, my toes only a few inches away. I looked back at him. He had fallen to his knees, hands gripping the grass beneath him like a lifeline.

"I'll find you, Claude," I exclaimed with a firm nod. "I promise!"

"You won't remember me!" he screamed.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

And then I crossed the line.