Chapter 36

“You’re right about that, Claude!” Nemesis voice broke the silence. “Even if that’s the only thing you’ve ever been right about, hmmmhmhmhmhm!”

    I stormed toward the middle of the room, dropping my trophy and other prizes on the couch as I passed.

    “Nemesis!” I fumed. She smirked at me, leaning onto the control panel.

    “What was that all about?!” I exclaimed, walking right up to her and staring her down. “You wanted me to meet that Spencer kid, didn’t you? But why? Obviously it’s… it’s timey-wimey, but…” I stopped.

    Nemesis’s smile had slowly grown wider and wider as I spoke. I couldn’t bear the sight of it and turned my head away, silently.

    “It’s just a bit of foreshadowing, Cecilia,” she said melodically, beginning to walk to the other side of me. “Just a bit of foreshadowing of the swimming in the Styx you’ll have to do.”

    My heartbeat quickened, and I regretted the provoking words I had said earlier. I didn’t raise my eyes as she daintily set her hand on my shoulder and then ran her fingers across my back as she made the complete circle around me.

    “Claude? Why don’t you bring Cecilia’s toys to her room for her so we can talk,” Nemesis said, a hint of forcefulness in her voice.

    “Yes, ma’am,” Claude whispered, quickly doing what he was told. I stared at him intently as he carefully picked up my trophy along with all my other things. Balancing everything delicately in his hands, he walked toward the hall.

    Please don’t go. Please don’t leave me with her.

    But he exited the room without looking back.

    “Mary Watson is home, safe and sound,” Nemesis purred once he was out of earshot. She stood next to me, closer than I would’ve liked. “Her baby is due in just a matter of days, now. I hope you’re able to release John before then.”

    “The next task has to do with Claude, doesn’t it?” I whispered, staring at my feet.

    Nemesis laughed shortly.

    “Nice deduction, daughter of Sherlock,” she said, crossing her arms.

    I took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

    “What do I need to do?” I said, calmly, though my heart pounded inside of me, feeling as though it would bruise my chest.

    “You’re lucky, Cecilia,” Nemesis replied, smiling in her eerie way. “This task will kill two birds with one stone. If you are able to complete it correctly, I will release John and the Doctor.”

    I frowned.

    “You will?”

    “I swear on the River Styx.”

    My frown only deepened.

    “What is the task?” I asked.

   Nemesis walked away suddenly, pressing a few buttons as she practically skipped around the console. The TARDIS began to move.

    “I am taking you back to about a year ago in April, to Eugene, Oregon. That’s where Claude is from, you know. Did he tell you that?”

    I shook my head.

    “Well, don’t worry. You’ll soon know all about him.” She smirked.

    “What is it I’m going to do to him?” I demanded, spreading my legs apart and crossing my arms tightly across my stomach.