Chapter 31

We exited the TARDIS, stepping out into a dark alley. The moon shined above us, casting shadows all around. The door shut behind us and as soon as it did, the light on top of the police box began to flash. A moment later the TARDIS began to fade. Another moment and it was gone with a whirr. Claude walked forward, gently guiding me to the exit of the alley.

    As we walked out onto the sidewalk, I realized why Claude had taken my arm. We were swept into the noise and flow of hundreds of people. Lights flashed all around and signs glowed, advertising different stores and restaurants. There were so many things to look at, so many things pining for my attention, so many people all around me, that my breathing became deep. It felt like everything was spinning. The world was caving in. And I suddenly felt regret.

    I should’ve never left Camp Jupiter.

    I tried to calm myself, but I was overwhelmed and I knew it. I moved myself nearer to Claude and slid my arm down to hold his hand, pressing myself as close to his side as I could. I looked up at his face momentarily. He didn’t look at me but focused on maneuvering through the crowds and glancing up at the signs every once in awhile, probably looking for the Argyre.

    And I suddenly became extremely relieved that it was him of all people that was accompanying me, and extremely thankful that he was so tall. Otherwise that journey wouldn’t have ended well.

    I wonder how long it would’ve taken for me to be kidnapped if I had gone alone? I thought. And then I had a realization that was no less frightening. I wonder how long it will take the monsters to find us? Will they be able to sense us in such a crowd?

    I glanced all around, remembering Mr. Roy and his wife, who could take on human form. I shuddered, and Claude glanced at me, but said nothing. I felt him clench my hand a little tighter, though, and my emotional attachment to him only deepen. I tried to relax and reminded myself that I was a deadly warrior who could fend for herself, but I only clutched his hand tighter and kept my eyes locked on the ground beneath my feet.

     I found relief and distraction in thinking about Claude, so I allowed myself to muse for a moment. I wondered about how he knew me. I was fairly certain I had never seen him before. He was a Greek, after all, and I was a Roman. I glanced at our intertwined hands. Obviously there were other, more complicated ways he could know me, now that time travel was relevant. I had several hypotheses, but they were only that— hypotheses. And it was frustrating, not knowing. This must be how normal people feel most of the time. Why don’t I just ask him how he knows me? It’s obvious I’m from his past and I’ll meet his past self in my future, but why was he so… so… upset when he first saw me?  I couldn’t help remembering the look on his face when he realized I didn’t know him. He was so… hurt.

    I shook my head.

    Stop it. Focus. This isn’t about Claude. This is about you. This is about you showing Nemesis and setting your family free. Focus.

    And then we stopped.

    “Here we are,” Claude said. I looked up and saw that we stood in front of a tall building made of silver glass. Above us was a glowing white sign that read ‘the Argyre Restaurant’.

    “Are you ready?” he asked, gruffly. I cocked my head to the side and pursed my lips, glaring at him.

    “Of course,” I said curtly, letting go of his hand. He walked up to the door and held it open for me. Taking a deep breath, I walked past him and into the building.

    And, let me tell you, it was not what I was expecting.

    The floors of the lobby were covered in a dark silver carpet which went excellently with the shiny, light silver walls. Above us was a ginormous, silver chandelier and there were cases and shelves all around us, holding precious items made of silver.