Chapter 38

Claude and I had our first few classes together and he sat by me during every one. I was thankful for that, because I had only been used to one-on-one tutoring and had no idea whatsoever how to survive in a classroom of over two-hundred students. Claude was extremely useful in showing me how to take notes and was actually very intelligent, though his clothing and goofiness suggested otherwise, and he was able to answer the questions I had. I caught on quickly, but since I had come in the middle of a trimester, it was confusing sometimes, even for a daughter of Minerva.

     But I caught on. 

     Thanks to Claude.

     My last morning class before lunch was Honors Arithmetic, which was the only class Claude and I didn’t share. Claude showed me to the classroom and then waved goodbye. I entered the class. This one wasn’t as full as the others I had been in. I introduced myself to the teacher who pointed me to a seat near the front. I sat down and pulled out my textbook, skimming through it to refresh my memory of the subject. But then someone came and stood next to me, rudely interrupting my reading.

     “So, you’re, like, from England?”

     Soon more girls and boys surrounded me, asking about England and giggling and chatting-- sort of like a conversation, except that they didn’t need any reply from me to be able keep talking. I forced myself to smile, ignoring the frustration and anger building up in my chest.

     No one had talked or introduced themselves to me yet that day. I had hoped that I looked intimidating enough that they never would. Obviously my hopes were in vain, but that wasn't what frustrated me.

     What frustrated me was that I knew why they only approached me now. I didn’t need to be a daughter of Minerva or Sherlock to see it.

     I guess I couldn’t really blame them— Claude was strange. I recognized that. But the realization that he would be considered a "geek" or a "weirdo" in a place like this made me hate them with a deeper intensity.

     I was determined not to get in trouble on the first day, however. 

     Perhaps I can rebel against their social standards another day.

   So I smiled and nodded for a few more minutes, until the teacher ordered everyone to their separate seats.

     The math class went by slowly and I was surprised at the lack of mind-stimulation. I had been hoping to be a little less bored in that class because math was my favorite. But luck obviously wasn’t on my side.

    The class was dismissed and all of the students rushed out as if their lives depended on it. I was the last one to leave the class and as I entered the hall, I was surprised to find it nearly empty. It wasn't like I was slow or anything. What was the deal?

    I casually went to my locker and switched out my books, and then I followed the last few students down the hall, assuming and hoping they were heading toward the cafeteria. They pushed open the double doors and I ducked in before they swung close. I looked around the room filled with tables and teens and saw the lunch line on the opposite end. I searched for Claude in the crowds as I walked down and picked up a plate. I went through the line, and then I understood why everyone had rushed from the classroom. All that was left was some slimey cottage cheese and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I put as little food as possible on my plate, not afraid to scowl deeply even though the lunch ladies were watching.

     I turned to go find a place to sit, paused as I nearly ran into someone.

    And before I could blink, a crowd of girls surrounded me, asking me the same annoying questions as before.