Chapter 5

I waited until I could hear the gentle snores of all the other girls in the dorm. And then I put my plan into action. Reaching down, I grabbed the paper bag I had snuck from the mess hall and then made my way through barracks until I was out into the night air. The summer stars shone brightly down on me and I was thankful for the extra light. My bare feet made no sound as I walked down the stone path. I had never seen the streets of Camp Jupiter that empty.

 Everything was quiet. It gave me goosebumps.

I would get in so much trouble if they caught me out past curfew. But it was a risk I was willing to take.

The Temple loomed ahead of me. Dark clouds hung over it, covering the celestial light and making it harder to see. I hadn't been to the Temple very many times, but I knew which altar was which. The sizes made it easy. 

First, I walked to Jupiter's altar. I bowed before it.

Clearing my throat, I said, "Hello mighty Jupiter. I am here to make an offering and... uh... to ask for help." 

I glanced around, hoping no auguries were still around to hear my humble plea. Certain I was alone, I reached into the bag and pulled out a slab of well-done steak. I set it on the altar in front of the statue.

"Please, help me find my dad," I murmured, staring up into the stone eyes. "Or give me a sign or send a messenger or something. Please?"

I sighed, and then turned to go to the next altar. I visited each god's altar, giving them each an offering that I'd hoped they'd like. A cinnamon roll for Venus. Salsa and chips for Mars. Macaroni for Pluto.

Finally, I had gone to each altar around the circle. Except one, which I had saved for last. Holding my breath, I walked up to Minerva's altar.

"Hi... mom," I whispered, kneeling down. "I know you probably don't want to talk to me, but, I brought you something anyway."

Pulling a little white box from the sack, I opened it and set the white cupcake with white icing in the dish at her feet.

"I know you like the color white, you being the virgin goddess and all," I said. "And, while we're on the topic, I was wondering if you could tell me who my father is? Whoever he was, he must've been exceptionally brilliant if you, Minerva, fell in love with him. I guess you have brain children, though, so you're still technically a virgin. Why does everyone hate me, then? Why do you hate me?" 

I stared at the blank face of the statue.

"Sorry, I'm getting off topic," I said, taking a deep breath. "Will you please help me find dad? I don't know if he's out there or," I glanced at the floor, "... down there, but if he's still living, please help me find him. Please-" 

There was a loud roar from behind me. I whirled around, dropping the bag and whipping out my sword.

A thick cloud of dust billowed in the middle of the courtyard. I stepped toward it, slowly. Blinking multiple times, I stared into the darkness. In the fog there was a large, menacing looking motorcycle which must've caused the roar I heard. A silhouette was barely visible beside it. When the dust finally settled, I examined the stranger. She had tall, black boots, a red leather jacket with some sort of curvy symbol on it, and a curled whip hanging from the side of her belt. She wore a cowboy hat and was looking down, so I couldn't see her face, only her dark hair that fell around her shoulders.

"Who are you?" I demanded.

She looked up suddenly and I pointed my sword at her. But then I became confused.