Chapter 68

I walked into the sunny, open room of the infirmary. I rubbed my eyes from the sudden light, glancing back behind me to make sure no nymphs, satyrs, or anyone else had noticed me before facing Armin.

He lay stretched out on the plain white bed with white sheets and a white pillow. His hurt arm was in bandages and laid across his bare chest, while the other was above his head and his legs were spread wide apart, one hanging off the side of bed. I smirked at him as I went and sat on a chair only a few steps away.

I pulled the knife out of my hoodie's pocket.

Will was with Chiron, interrogating Claude, Snorri, and anyone else with Mist-manipulation abilities, trying to figure out who summoned the hellhound. I wasn't worried for Claude, not after the miraculous healing job Snorri had done last night.

I rubbed one of my tired eyes with my free hand as I studied the knife. I had taken it from the Armory. Everyone was very distracted that morning, so it had been easy.

I smirked again and looked at Armin, who continued to snore peacefully.

"I was wrong to drag Claude into this," I whispered to myself. "This is what I should've done all along."

I stood and walked over to Armin, gripping the knife tightly.

"My father is going to die. Unless..." I took a deep breath. "Unless... I kill you, Armin Noble," I said it so quietly I could barely hear myself. "I don't have a choice. I can't just let him die, can I? At the hands of... her?" I didn't dare say her name.

I stared at the knife, and then at Armin's face.

"I have to do this. For him. For Sherlock."

I raised the knife.

"I wish I didn't have to. I liked you, Armin..."

I hesitated.

"But... he's my flesh and blood... my dad..."

I gripped the knife harder.

This is what Nemesis wants! It's the only way to free Sherlock!

I shut my eyes tightly, preparing for the plunge.

It's the only way! I have to do this! I have to! Do it!

But my stupid heart wouldn't listen.