Chapter 2

I would've rather argued with Frank and Reyna than go have coffee with my hero who they specifically brought to change my mind. I tried not to think about it as we strolled down the streets of New Rome. She hadn't said anything yet, but I was already prepared to ignore every word when she did.

Don't you understand? I thought. This is where I belong. I've lived here for as long as I can remember... probably since the day I was born. I can't leave. Not now, not ever... even if I really don't belong.

I wished I could say those words outloud, but it would go against everything I liked to believe I was. So I held my tongue.

"This is such a beautiful place," Annabeth commented, breaking my thought. "My husband Percy always wanted us to live here."

I blinked twice.

"Why don't you?"

She looked at me.

"We realized Camp Halfblood was too special to leave, especially when it needed us the most," she looked down. "And we decided we wanted our child to grow up in the place we both have called home for so many years."

I nodded, trying to think of something else to say.

"How... how long have you been married?" I said.

"Four years," she said, suddenly looking very dreamy as she stared down at her round middle. I awkwardly nodded, staring at the ground before us.

"Oh, but you aren't interested in that," Annabeth said as we entered the cafe and stood in line behind a young couple. "You should tell me about yourself. Do you have a boyfriend? Or a girlfriend?"

I was thankful that the couple ahead of us finished quickly, forcing our conversation to pause so we could order. But at the same time I didn't like being stuck contemplating the answer, which was much deeper than what I would let on.

Everyone hates me. And I hate everyone. So no, I don't have a boyfriend or a girlfriend.

We sat down at a table near the window when we got our drinks.

"So?" she prompted, raising an eyebrow.

"No," I said, hoping to move on to a different topic.

"Are you the hard-to-get type?" she said with a smile.

"No," I replied, looking down at my cup, struggling to remain composed. "It's just... no one's interested."

"I don't believe that," she said with a smirk.

"Well, you should," I said, feeling slightly surprised. That was the closest anybody had ever come to complimenting my looks. She was quiet for a minute.

"I'm surprised they aren't flocking to you," she said, staring at me in her peculiar way, as if she were trying to read my thoughts through my eyes. "You are different than most children of Athena. Er, Minerva."

"How... how so?" I asked, curiously. "I've never met any other children of, ah... Athena."

Minerva. I should've said Minerva.

"Well, all children of Athena that I've known have two things in common. Their gray eyes, which you have, but usually they have blond hair."

I frowned and grabbed one of my black ringlets, twirling it between my fingers.

"To be honest, I've never seen a child of Athena with black hair," Annabeth said, cocking her head to one side.

"Well," I said, hoping she would avoid the next obvious question, "I'm just special, I guess."