Chapter 24

We got back to London around midnight. Sherlock and I hadn’t talked much on the way home. Actually, to be completely honest, we may have said like a total of two words on the train. But I didn’t mind. His calm silence only convinced me of my acceptance. I knew he didn’t hate me now, at least.

    My mind was occupied with other things, however, so the trip wasn’t as enjoyable as it should’ve been. I still felt as if something was missing; the adventure was over too soon. I had never been out in the real world before and I had loved every minute. But now my time was at an end. Tomorrow, whether by plane or by TARDIS, I was heading back to Camp Jupiter. Olympus only knew whether I would ever see Sherlock again.

    We quietly entered his flat at 221b. Well, as quietly as we could, though it wasn’t easy with Sherlock still limping around. He shut the door behind us, and then turned to me. And then, for the first time since hailing a cab, he spoke.

    “There’s an extra room over there that Mrs. Hudson keeps quite clean,” he said, gesturing across the flat. “You can sleep there if you like.”

    “Thanks,” I said, sticking my hands in my back pockets. There was another silence between us, but this one was rather awkward. Meanwhile a war was going on within me. I wanted to say something, but part of me was shouting to keep my trap shut.

    Finally, I blurted, “Thank you.”

    Sherlock looked at me oddly.

    “For what?”

    “For…” I paused, and then looked him in the eyes. “For everything.”

    He seemed to understand and nodded.

    “I don’t mind so much,” he said, averting his gaze. “You’ve shown me things I never knew existed, which is something that no… ordinary person could do.”

    I could feel a blush beginning to warm my cheeks, so I quickly said, “So, have you looked up plane flights?”

    “Oh, ah, yes,” he said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out his phone. “There is one that leaves for San Francisco at eleven A.M. Tomorrow. It’s a one-way trip with no stops and the reward money should cover it.”

    I nodded, though I felt as if something inside me had died.

    “Sounds good,” I said, though I would’ve given my right arm to be able to stay and never see Camp Jupiter again.

    He didn’t respond but just stared at his phone.

    “Well, good night!” I said, walking toward the empty bedroom.

    There was no reply.

    I sighed as I shut the door. Running my hand through my tangled, shoulder-length hair, I turned toward the nicely made bed.

    But I didn’t want to sleep. If I slept, the time would go faster, and morning would be here sooner, and then I’d have to go. But my eyes were drooping and my shoulders sagging, and I knew I had no choice.

    I laid down on the bed and I was asleep the moment my head hit the pillow.

*

I was jerked awake by the faint sound of the bedroom door opening. All my muscles tensed, but I didn’t move. I peeked my eye open and read the time. It was 2:13 A.M. Heavy footsteps entered the room, and a second later the small lamp on the other side of the bed was flipped on.

    As the soft, yellow light lit up the room, I was able to make out Sherlock. He turned toward me and I shut my eyes and pretended to be asleep, allowing my breaths to become even and my body to relax.

    He walked over to my side of the bed and then kneeled next to me. Everything was silent for a few moments, and I was tempted to open my eyes and see what he was doing, when suddenly something soft and fuzzy began brushing my skin near my lips. Where I had just moments ago been drooling.

    You can’t even imagine my embarrassment.’    When he was done swabbing my saliva, he grabbed my wrist and lifted my hand. He spread my fingers and then folded my hand into a fist. After a minute, he set down my hand. Placing his fingers on my head, he turned it slightly, so he could see my profile. And then he gently pushed my chin down so my mouth opened, and I could only imagine him as a dentist, looking at my teeth. I almost giggled at the thought.    And then, lastly, he picked up a lock of my hair. He felt it, sniffed it, and then placed it back. He ran his hand through my hair, and then lightly touched my cheek.

    “Thanks for holding so still. Goodnight, Cecilia.”

    He kissed my cheek, and then stood and walked out of the room. I opened my eyes and sat up on my elbows, but he didn’t look back. I humphed, though I couldn’t help the smile that appeared on my face.

    I laid down again with a sigh, wondering if he believed me now. He just examined me, probably wanting to deduce for himself who I am. I wonder what he thinks. Well, whatever he thinks, that DNA sample he took will surely tell him the truth soon enough. I turned over on my side and closed my eyes, but then I heard the most wonderful sound.

    My eyes fluttered open and I sat up quickly.

    Beautiful violin music floated through the air. I stood up and silently walked to the door, where it was coming from. As I peered out of the door that was left slightly open, I saw Sherlock standing in the middle of the living room, playing the violin.

    The sound was so gorgeous that I couldn’t do anything but stand there and listen. I could practically feel Apollo smiling as Sherlock flawlessly played the stringed instrument.

    He played several songs, and slowly, my eyes grew heavy again. So I turned and went back to bed, the sound of the violin lulling me to sleep.

*・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・゜゚・*:.。.:**・

Did you miss me? Did you miss me? Did you miss me?

Heheheheheh.

I'm baaaaaack! :D